Accidentally searched on password, should I care?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 2 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 2 months ago
I accidentally searched on my password. I thought I was in a different window (which was in the foreground, but apparently not selected) and typed a pasword to login to an unrelated account into the DuckDuckGo search field and hit return. DuckDuckGo searched on it.

I know DuckDuckGo does not store personally identifiable information. But they do save searches, so presumably this password is in some DuckDuckGo database somewhere now.

Should I care?

I hate constantly having to create new passwords. Yes I know it's best practice. I know I could use a password manager, etc. I'm not looking for password advice, I'm just wonder what is the risk of having my password out there in the DuckDuckGo database.

Thanks for any thoughts.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
DDG does save searches, but not in a personally identifiable way, as we do not store IP addresses or unique User agent strings. We use aggregate, non-personal search data to improve things like misspellings. So, there's no way to point your password back to you or your IP address.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the reply.

I guess the only real potential (though perhaps remote) risk is that DuckDuckGo's database could get stolen and the password could find its way into a list of known passwords to be used by cracking software. Then, of course, I would have to become a target of someone using software like that.

Anyway I relented and changed my password, just for safety's sake and peace of mind.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago
Sam999999
Wait I am confused, I thought that Duckduckgo doesn't even store your search history. Do they store your search history such as what you have typed in the field boxes?
posted by Sam999999 3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
DDG privacy policy says: "We also save searches, but again, not in a personally identifiable way, as we do not store IP addresses or unique User agent strings. We use aggregate, non-personal search data to improve things like misspellings."
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago Link
Sam999999
Sam999999
But why would Duckduckgo still store search history?
x.15a2
The above posted information from the privacy policy clearly states the searches are saved but again, not in a personally identifiable way, as we do not store IP addresses or unique User agent strings.
This means that search strings can be saved but there is no information saved that can point the search back to the user that submitted the string.

Why? Because We use aggregate, non-personal search data to improve things like misspellings."
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 2 months ago Link