DuckDuckGo Partners for Advertising

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 3 years and 1 month ago
DDG maintains that BingAd is a Partner but they do not know anything about it. My Ad appears on Bing but not on DDG!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

youngrapper
Check DuckDuckGo settings if ads are enabled :)
posted by youngrapper 3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Where are the ads settings in DuckDuckGo?
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
That setting is for displaying (or not) all ads, the OP is asking about his ad that he wants displayed on DDG.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I do not understand this answer
x.15a2
Hello,
You didn't mention if you have read the Advertising and Affiliates information at https://duck.co/help/company/advertising.... In case you did not:

How to advertise on DuckDuckGo:

The advertising we syndicate through Yahoo! is part of the Yahoo-Microsoft search alliance. By default, when you sign up for a Bing Ads account, your ads should automatically enter rotation into all of Bing's distribution channels including DuckDuckGo. If you'd like to double-check that your ad is set up to run on DuckDuckGo, perform the following:
  1. When signed in to Bing Ads, click Campaigns.
  2. Next, click on your campaign's name.
  3. Then, click on your ad group's name.
  4. Click the Settings tab.
  5. Click Ad distribution.
  6. Then, click Save at the bottom to finalize.

[https://duck.co/media/2/3/2380edf8ac1c6cac0d55f0213dcc605f/7/2/72449caa010b8cc400157ef19833593f.png]

Hopefully this is helpful for you.
anonymous
I had read it and done what you say.
anonymous
Can you reply with additional details on what is your brand or business and what are the keywords that you expect to see your ad(s) with?
Also, there are location and other settings inside the Bing Ads that may not be set correctly
Can you elaborate on any of those?
anonymous
I am speaking of the small 4-line ads (like Googles AdWords). I cannot find this type of ads in DDG. If it is of interest: I have an ad for an e-book. Language: German, Countries: Germany, Switzerland, Austria. Keyword: "sallust". There is only one button: " search network" with no sub-choices. BingAds tells me that this is so because there is no possibility of excluding the "Konsortialpartners". For the same ad in English the buttons are the same as you have shown above (three sub-choices) and I have checked "all search networks". BingAds tells me that this is so because here there is the possibility of excluding their Konsortialpartners. I still think that the best thing is if you talk to each other. Thanks.
anonymous
I have contacted BingAds: their ads appear on the pages of the Bing andYahoo! Search Alliance but NOT on DDG. Maybe you can contact them directly and clear up this obvious misunderstanding. Thanks.
x.15a2
If you hover over an add that is displayed in DDG results, you will see that the ad is linked to Bing Ad services.
zac
Sorry for the hassle and nebulousness of what's going on. Unfortunately, we can't provide any more information than you're surfacing with these steps. The Bing Ads network is our upstream provider and so any issues are likely the result of something on their end. In every case, troubleshooting should start from the source (Bing Ads) and then progress to the areas of impact (DuckDuckGo and other sites that use Bing Ads).

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind following up on this thread with the information you find? It will help us debug similar issues in the future.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
BingAds says they are looking into this. I'll let you know.
anonymous
Could you please answer my question above (answer to <hidden>): what do the small ads in DDG look like and where are they located?
How is there position indicated? (In BingAds numbers like 1,2,3.... mean top positon, second position and so on. Thanks.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 1 month ago
anonymous
Thanks but I still do not see a place where I can enable ads. I only see the reatively big ads scrolling horizontally on the top. I am talking of the little ads like in Google and Bing.
x.15a2
The example provided by @KK4OXJ are the primary ads that DDG has. The "big ads scrolling horizontally on the top", are Instant Answers which are largely community created (open source and non-revenue generating). When a specific product is searched, this space can also be used to display affiliates information, example: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=bat... shows matching products available from Amazon. All ads displayed on DDG are clearly labelled as Ads (as seen in KK4OXJ's example, or are flagged with the affiliate's source (as in my example). Again, all of the information regarding advertising on DDG is found at https://duck.co/help/company/advertising... .

As far as enabling\disabling ads, this is done in DDG's settings\General\Advertisements (the default is ON).
anonymous
OK, maybe I have found the right button "Advertisements" but the comment there is misleading because it refers to the user who tries to convince friends to use DDG (maybe somebody could correct that).
Anyway: I have NEVER seen on DDG ads of the type shown by KK4OXJ. Could it be that this type of ads shows only on the US-version? I am using German DDG.

The more I look into this, the darker the picture gets but I will keep trying if I find people willing to shed light.
x.15a2
Sorry, no more light to shed, we've been as forthcoming as possible. If you are not seeing ads, please verify the settings to verify that ads are enabled. I just set my region and my language to German and did the same search as above with the following result:

[http://snag.gy/v9ZQF.jpg]

I have tested this in both the standard and the html versions of DDG and it works just fine. Can you plz submit a screenshot and results URL of searches that are failing to display any ads at all for you?
anonymous
I have found the trick: when I right-click on the top (as DDG-Help for Firefox says) I do not get a menue with the "Add-on bar" but other items like "Menü-bar" and "Bookmark-bar" BUT I found out that I had AdBlockPlus installed (ABP-icon on top-bar, right); when I deactivated it I could see the small ads (for the first time!)
There is however another problem: when I go to DDG Germany (Region Germany/Language German) I see my German ad. When I go to DDG Italy (Region Italy/Language Italian) I see again the German ad (I have the two different versions in two separate campaigns in Bing Ads). Here a screenshot:
[http://snag.gy/]
(I cannot see the screenshot?!? Anyway the keyword is "Horti Sallustiani")

Another item: I have found out that AdBlockPlus blocks DDG ads but not Google or Bing ads. I have read that Google pays millions to ABP in order to circumvent AdBlock - there are several court proceedings running in Germany on this matter. Does this mean that DDG does not pay ransom? Thank you for your patience.