search limited to 4 scroll pages is worse than bubble-results

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 9 months ago
I tried using both "help" and "discussion search" no luck is the search limited to only key words in title?? would explain why couldn't find a discussion related to this, I can not believe I am first person to have issue with this problem regarding "4 result pages search limit".

My issue is I am limited to 4 pages of search results or less no matter the subject or search, and find similar does not result in other sites related to link that I requested find similar.

So when I want to see whats on page 25 of search I can't see them due to the 4 page search limit.

For example "Climate change" should turn up many pages of search results but it is limited to only 4 pages and I do not know how to get it to show more of the results. every single time I get to page 5 it says "no more results". This problem makes it nearly impossible to use search for purpose of learning about subjects and such, when you want to see all content related to subject.

refining search "with more words" is not acceptable, because if your looking for wide range of topics to learn about climate change for example that you do not know much about, (meaning you do not know which key words to use to get a correct result so it shows within the 4 page limit.) Needing to use exact words is as bad or worse than bubble search, due to problem of not being able to mind read the person who set up the page.

similar results should be showing : Example of what should happen climate change brings back links talking about extreme weather patterns resulting from climate change, it shows despite not having exact words "climate change"

Also I view the 4 page search limit worse than bubble results because its like looking and browsing the web through a pin hole. which takes "WAY TO MUCH TIME" and too narrow of a search, when wanting to see all related issues with a search.

setting region has no effect on the 4 page limit.
I searched settings and could not find a way to turn off 4 page limit either.
If there is a setting that will turn off the 4 page limit, I think it needs to be added right below the "region setting" on search page due to how severely it ruins the duckduckgo search

This limitation of results turns me away from duckduckgo and I would never comeback (I want to use duckduckgo which is why I am here discussing it) because I get the impression that duckduckgo can't actually search the whole web as result. (cause and effect perception) Also This turns people away despite the privacy benefits. which also "could" explains why duckduckgo has not skyrocketed despite the prism-NSA.

Think about it: 4 pages of search limit, no matter how hard you search and having to use hundreds of words to try to find all things related to climate change. trying to get it to show within the 4 page limit, but you do not know those key words in the first place to get it to show in the 4 page limit.. Infuriating trying to pull a book through a keyhole.

So how do I turn off the 4 page search limit? if it is even possible. If I can not turn this off I will never use duckduckgo again because it is worse than bubble search results.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

buckeye
i agree that more results would be a good thing though when you get past 2-3 pages most of the results on any search engine tend to be worthless - still that should be left to the discretion of the user

however, you said:
Quote:
This turns people away despite the privacy benefits. which also "could" explains why duckduckgo has not skyrocketed despite the prism-NSA.
which make me think that you have not looked at http://ddg.gg/traffic.html
posted by buckeye 2 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
I was looking at the comparison between google and duckduckgo in an article claiming that "people do not care about privacy" and using duckduckgo search totals as proof. It showed before after NSA leak of duckduckgo searches vs google.

here is one I was reading http://searchengineland.com/duck-duck-go...
I was looking for "context to traffic" a search log as your link does not really put that in perspective before or after NSA-prism
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link
buckeye
Quote:
here is one I was reading http://searchengineland.com/duck-duck-go...

the article that you are referencing is close to 2 years old whereas the one that i provided is dynamic and consistently updated

Quote:
was looking for "context to traffic" a search log as your link does not really put that in perspective before or after NSA-prism

incorrect - look at graph point C labeled Surveillance revelations which clearly shows a very steep rise in usage - over 100% in <3 months following the Snowden revelations.
posted by buckeye 2 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks for your post and for using DDG,

Sorry you weren't able to find your answer using the search feature, it turns out that this was discussed on the forums in the past, but that user's account (and therefore the user's posts) was removed.

DDG keeps results to 4 page since relevancy and interest degrades quickly after a couple pages. Our thought is that it's better for the user to adjust their query than for us to signal that something's relevant beyond page 4 (if it is, it should be ranked higher) since that's never the case. If it's not an instant answer, it should be :) https://duck.co/ideas

Thanks
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
One of the things that I can see why something is not ranked higher, is say someone sets up their website and does not make a "keyword" list that a search engine can reference too. as a result not many people find it, because you need exact words to get their site to show on page one, which then pushes said site down the ranking list. Even though the site has direct relevance to the subject.

Example Blog site using wordpress. which is about adapting in preparation to climate change and what we can do personally to get ready like using rain barrels under gutters to collect water for garden or use in toilet. The site is set up by the blogger who did not add a keyword list of any and all words related to climate change and preparations.

But because I knew this person personally I could find their site. but when I used google and used key words used within the content of the site, it failed to show in google results, till you got to page 25 for example. As result of failing to add the keyword list, her blog was ranked really poorly despite relevance to the key words used in search.

This is main reason I want to be able to search past page 4. So I can find relevant information that got low ranking due to lack of traffic.

Other reason, is Lets say koch brothers paid a group to establish sites denying climate change that uses said key words to boost ranking by number of hits. this could be used to drown out scientific sites that educate public about climate change, but does not get a lot of traffic.

^^^ this tactic and bubble results is reason I want to switch to DDG I am trying to free myself from blinders imposed by others who try to screw with my search to trick me into their way of thinking.

I am not sure about using instant answer portion because when I browse it i see things like in development, or reviewing next to title, It gave me impression that was reserved to development of DDG.

When I was asking about functionality of DDG and if I had overlooked something in settings.

So I put this discussion in general.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
Quote:
I am not sure about using instant answer portion because when I browse it i see things like in development, or reviewing next to title, It gave me impression that was reserved to development of DDG.
The answer above was referring to the use of Instant Answers, which you can read about here: https://duck.co/help/features/instant-an... . what you have been looking at is the area of the forums where IA's are suggested, discussed, approved, etc.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 9 months ago Link