Date Filtered Searching

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 9 months ago
I see that this has been posted before but please, please, if possible include a date range feature. I have no way of doing what I need to, searching for articles that are posted within a relevant time period within DuckDuckGo. For example, I am trying to search about information on DiskCryptor features versus another option such as AxCrypt but all I get is articles talking about the superiority of TrueCrypt, a now discontinued software. The potential to improve here is immense!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Please check out the help pages: https://duck.co/help/features/dates
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Thank you very much!
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Are you kidding me? I'm new to duckduckgo and not trying to be mean but why would I want to use this search engine if you are going to direct me back to google when trying to filter the date range which I use all the time? Also having to type the bang in which is more effort than just using google to do the search.The only thing stopping me from using this engine is this feature I love the rest of the features it makes Google look really dated but come one you're a SEARCH engine how can this not be a thing? Let me know when this is sorted and I will be back.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I'm with you 100% on this. I'd be able to make DDG my main search engine if only I had the ability to sort by 24 hours, week, month, and year. I don't want to use a bang that redirects me through google. I'll just use google if that's the case.

I fix computers for a living and have to search for the latest solutions to new issues and DDG won't give me recent results.
anonymous
+1
While I can use !gweek, it directs me to Google Search, which then tracks which link I click.
I also want to save the search query as a bookmark/favorite, so I can re-search later.
anonymous
I would like to be included here too. I'm very interested about hearing updates on date-specific searches
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago
anonymous
This is the only reason I can't 100% relay on DuckDuckGo! This is a must!
anonymous
yep u said it
jwalantsoneji
This is a very much required feature.
Lot of times I would like to force my search engine to return recent articles without losing relevance.
So, like return me all articles for my search text from this date range with relevancy used to order the results.
Thanks!
posted by jwalantsoneji 2 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
+1 for this - it's the only keeping me from using DDG as my regular search engine
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, they say they are working on this for 2016, but I have to say that I am pretty annoyed with the DuckDuckGo team for ignoring this feature request since almost six (!!!) years (https://duck.co/forum/thread/1678/filter...).

First, they don't mention anywhere on their help pages that date-range search is currently not possible. Providing that plain simple information would save people a lot of time figuring that out by googling it (yes, you have to google it in order to get up-to-date date information on that question!).

Instead, they seem to pretend that things are just fine, suggesting to use Google date range search through a Google bang. Or they suggest sort-by-date as a solution (although it's only a very partial one, if at all, as many have pointed out).

In addition, they have (until a few months ago) kept rather quiet about a road map that would include this feature.

As much as I am sympathetic toward DDG and wish them the best of luck, I cannot help but not trust them as a community oriented project because this is not how you communicate with your community on one of the biggest (and oldest) issues of the project. The community generally understands the limitations of such projects very well and patiently waits for requested features. But that requires transparency regarding internal priorities (saying things like: "we won't implement this before 2017 because we need to improve the bang feature first" or the like). Unfortunately, DDG has chosen the more corporate approach of keeping users in the dark and "positive" communication (emphasising what's there rather than what's missing).

I'm disappointed.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 7 months ago Link
Choca
Looks like this feature is live!
https://i.imgur.com/vH4bl8B.png
posted by Choca 1 year and 7 months ago Link
x.15a2
From @tagawa on the DDG subReddit: You can now limit search results to a certain timeframe on DuckDuckGo. For example, searching for something recent such as "Game of Thrones" could include some older results which you might not want. If you just want to see results from the past week, you can select that from the new date filter dropdown to the right of the search box on desktop. On mobile it's available in the menu by tapping the "3-line" icon at the top right. Note that these are both visible after doing a search.

And we're monitoring comments that we receive from the "Send feedback" button on desktop, so feel free to let us know how it's working for you.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 7 months ago Link