Problem Adding/Setting As Default Search Provider In IE 11

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 9 months ago
Hi,
I've tried all of the suggestion's I've came across on various site's on the net, I'm running windows 8.1 (32-bit version) with internet explorer 11. I can't seem to get duckduckgo to get added to the list of search provider's in the internet option's in internet explorer 11. Any suggestion's ??
David

Update: Of course while using the firefox browser, setting duckduckgo as my default search agent works correctly.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

g0unn
It appears that a recent update disabled the functionality. See for more information.

Meanwhile the issues is being fixed, you can merge following registry file. DDG will appear as the second search engine with a magnifier icon. Once you select the icon and do a search, the correct icon will be set. And you can make DDG as the default as usual. At least it worked for me.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{1E015858-675F-4328-AE5A-17345D2F229A}]
"Codepage"=dword:0000fde9
"DisplayName"="DuckDuckGo"
"OSDFileURL"="https://duckduckgo.com/opensearch.xml"
"FaviconURL"="https://duckduckgo.com/favicon.ico"
"SuggestionsURL_JSON"="https://ac.duckduckgo.com/ac/?q={searchTerms}&type=list"
"ShowSearchSuggestions"=dword:00000001
"URL"="https://duckduckgo.com/?q={searchTerms}"

posted by g0unn 2 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, you don't provide enough information for me..such as which registry key to go into. Of course I've been in the registry many time's for various reason's.
Thanks,
David
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago Link
buckeye
the code is meant to be saved as a registry merge file - as stated by the person that posted it

the second line has the complete registry key

all this makes me think that you may not want to do this if you are not experienced enough to know what a registry export looks like
posted by buckeye 2 years and 8 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago
anonymous
As I actually am using firefox as my default browser with windows 10 preview build (#10074), I guess it really doesn't matter if I know/want to do a registry merge/export anyway.
David
buckeye
so what is the:
Quote:
I'm running windows 8.1 (32-bit version) with internet explorer 11
part or was that a different <hidden> poster?

in my previous post i was just pointing out that if you are not familiar with .reg files you may not want to mess with the registry because making a mistake there can really mess up your system
posted by buckeye 2 years and 8 months ago Link
g0unn
As buckeye said, you need to save the code as a registry file (plain text file with a name like 'addDDG.reg') and then double click the file in File Explorer.

In fact I was just following the Robert's advice I found in this Microsoft community forum. I wanted to put the link on my previous post, but obviously I made a mistake during editing the post.

As suggested by Don at the bottom of the page in the forum page, more fundamental way for fixing the issue may be reinstalling the update kb 3038314, which is being silently updated after initial release on Apr 22..
posted by g0unn 2 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi All,
Thanks for your followup replies..I switched back to using windows 8.1 pro edition 32-bit w/media center edition. I'm still much more familiar with it than I was with windows 10 preview. Besides, it will be offered to those of us that are eligible for free when the final release is ready. I really don't know why Microsoft makes it so difficult to be able to modify common setting's in the browser, such as adding/changing the default search provider anyway.
David
anonymous
"Thanks for your followup replies..I switched back to using windows 8.1 pro edition 32-bit w/media center edition. " LOL! microhappy takes every available opportunity to change your browser settings. any update as i noticed. that sort of "pusher bully" stuff is disrespectful and very unwelcome.