Privacy

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 8 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 8 months ago
Hi,

Came across duckduckgo by accident. Have used gmail for years and it would be a pain to inform all contacts of change should I choose another email provider. Question: If ...THE....Duck is my default page and I !gmail, will I nullify the privacy THE Duck provides ie will Google be able to track my movements? Answer in plain English for a .....newbie to the Net.

Tks.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
DDG does not gather any information when you use it for internet searches. Further, your information is not passed from DDG to web sites that you go to by clicking on a DDG search result. Once you go to any given web site, your privacy is left to the discretion of the web site that you are visiting.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Tks for the response. I am still in the dark. Perhaps I should rephrase my question. If I understood the concept of duckduckgo correctly, I am almost "invisible" as long as I use the Duck to visit any Wiki or newspaper website. However as soon as I use gmail, I become visible to Google (only) and they will bombard me with ads. If I use gmail and log off and get back to the Duck, I become "invisible" again???
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago
x.15a2
The DDG Privacy page and the illustrated search privacy guides that have links on the privacy page do a great job of explaining all of this.
JSmith123963
Never use Gmail, it will invade your privacy by firstly giving your emails to the NSA and Google will use your emails and use it to give you personalised advertisement.
posted by JSmith123963 2 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
i would actually recommend changing one's email address every year. of course if there is absolutely no personal information in your email ever, then no worries. but bits and pieces collected over time from a myriad of sources makes one a target for attack.
blobgo
The short answer to this question is:
"will I nullify the privacy THE Duck provides ie will Google be able to track my movements?"
Yes. You're not more on DuckDuckGo after you "bang" yourself to GMail so Google can (and is going to) track you.

So you have to decide whether you want to change your email provider. - But this is of course fully unrelated to DuckDuckGo.
posted by blobgo 2 years and 8 months ago Link
blobgo
And for your information here is a list of privacy-oriented email providers: https://duck.co/help/features/email
posted by blobgo 2 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
Here is a very nice (and huge) graphic that Optilocal put together that does a great job of describing DDG vs Google. Enjoy!
anonymous
Finally........a big thank you to EVERYONE!!!