Assist with the new Operating System 'Papyros'

JSmith123963 JSmith123963
Created: 2 years and 8 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 8 months ago
There is this new operating system being made called 'Papyros'. Here is the link:

http://papyros.io/

I was hoping if Duckduckgo staff could assist/be involved in this project as this OS can be owned by Duckduckgo by a certain percent and this will speed up the project. I was hoping if the staff could do stuff like designing UI elements, including privacy features in it (since Duckduckgo is known to be a company to protect users privacy), perhaps even integrate their search engine to it as well and so on. This will also help bring Duckduckgo's name in more communities as well - meaning that this will make Duckduckgo more known to people.
Attached Files: 1
papyros.jpg - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

buckeye
the page that you supplied says nothing about privacy but has lots of references to google so i don't think that this would be a good match for duckduckgo - they seem to have very different views on privacy

also - if you do a simple search on these forums or even look at the sticky posts on the side you would see that duckduckgo concentrates on developing a search engine and not looking to building operating systems or browsers or email or other items.
posted by buckeye 2 years and 8 months ago Link
JSmith123963
I am just saying if Duckduckgo could participate and add their own features to it that will promote their name.
posted by JSmith123963 2 years and 8 months ago Link
Sam999999
Seems like a good OS to me, by the way, do you know when the OS is going to be ready?

I would agree with JSmith about his suggestion. Duckduckgo doesn't seem very popular at the moment. I doubt the staff even makes a lot of money. I personally see JSmith's idea as to participate in this project. If they could just assist the dev with the project such as making a search engine, this could as suggested by JSmith promote Duckduckgo's name to the users.
posted by Sam999999 2 years and 8 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Not exactly sure when the OS is coming out :(
buckeye
none of the responses address the issue that papyros is closely tied to G which is diametrically opposed to what duckduckgo is about

regarding
Quote:
Duckduckgo doesn't seem very popular at the moment.
: https://duckduckgo.com/traffic.html

regarding
Quote:
If they could just assist the dev with the project such as making a search engine,
: duckduckgo is already a search engine and already works with any OS (desktop and mobile) with any modern browser
Sam999999
I think you are mistaken, Papyros makes it look like Google's general UI (called material design), that doesn't mean they are closely based on Google's services and products. They might have apps such as Google maps and stuff like that but what is suggested in this post is that Duckduckgo makes privacy tools such as VPNs and all, let me also add, there should be a tool that blocks tracking cookies, and other forms of being tracked, maybe also include 256bit AES encryption for local storage, help them make applications that have end-to-end encrypted connection etc; have you heard of Google Now (for Android and IOS), make your own version of "Google Now" without the tracking part.
buckeye
not mistaken at all - need g+ account to learn more or contact them - not going to happen. Page says nothing at all about privacy

also, Duckduckgo does not have any privacy tools and they do not have a private VPN service - they are a search engine and do not track your search activity and that's it

if you read the forum sticky posts you will see that duckduckgo is not interested in other projects except improving seaches and instant answers
Sam999999
How about this, let me modify JSmith's post, why don't Duckduckgo offer their help and convince the Head to allow Duckduckgo to integrate privacy features and to not to use some of Google' services such as their search, and instead use Duckduckgo's.
Fastman
Even though Duckduckgo is only a search engine, this might be a good idea if Duckduckgo participates in this project as suggested in this post. I would want to add that the staff of Duckduckgo should not 100% participate, as their main focus is on the search engine, not on making an OS, but yeah they should still participate a little.
posted by Fastman 2 years and 8 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Well if you clearly read my post it will say Duckduckgo staff could assist/be involved. This does not mean Be 100% involved in.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago
JSmith123963
It only looks like Google-like OS, the OS is just copying the UI elements of Google's material design.
x.15a2
What do you mean by "putting DDG" in? DDG is available from any browser, are you suggesting something more than that? Like others above, I'm concerned by the lack of privacy information on the provided Web page. If privacy were to be a key feature of this OS, I would expect to see that listed.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 8 months ago Link
Sam999999
Well as I suggested to this post before, why don't Duckduckgo offer to the head of this project to include privacy features to this new OS. JSmith (the guy who posted this) should've known that this is not an OS that focuses on privacy features, (nor mentions about it).
JSmith123963
You are right, this OS doesn't really focus on privacy and you made a good idea that Duckduckgo should help Papyros have privacy tools, that way this will put Duckduckgo's name out there.
JSmith123963
I am not a programmer that can design and make an app for this OS, that is why I am asking if Duckduckgo could get involved in this project. Duckduckgo already has great designs and has great privacy, why not help them as Duckduckgo can be added to the credits.
Whatsup
Wow, this looks like this OS is going to be sick :) Imagine Duckduckgo user interface combined with the material design. This sounds like a good idea, Duckduckgo implementing privacy features to the OS.
posted by Whatsup 2 years and 8 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Thanks for your support :)