Virus scanners

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 3 years and 1 month ago
Should I use a virus scanner on my iMac and Mac air? If so which one?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
This is not related to DDG, we speak about the search engine here. Anyway yes, it's a good practice to use a virus scanner on Mac too.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 1 month ago Link
Sam999999
Instead of posting non-Duckduckgo articles you should post them at Yahoo answers as this Forums is only for Duckduckgo related articles. To answer your question, you don't really need an anit-virus protection for OS X (an operating system that runs on IMac and Macbook Air). In Windows you should as there are a lot more malware compared to OS X but you don't really need one. However, if you are a guy who downloads a bunch of softwares constantly then maybe you should use one :)
posted by Sam999999 3 years and 1 month ago Link
Fastman
No matter what OS you are using, you should ALWAYS install an antivirus and additionally you should install a VPN, to ensure your safety.
posted by Fastman 3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
On linux installing an antivirus would be a total waste.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 1 month ago
anonymous
The chances to get one is so little that is negligible. A user needs to be really bad at computer to get one and let it do anything... anyway everyone do whatever makes you more comfortable, If you feel more secure with an antivirus, install it.
x.15a2
To OP,

Thanks for your question. While it's true that this forum primarily focuses on DDG, you are perfectly welcomed to submit other questions here for users' input. While other sites might have better information, we are glad that you feel comfortable posting your question here and hopefully one of our users will be able to point you in the right direction.

Using DDG to perform my search, I found the following article that might be helpful for you:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivir...

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 1 month ago Link