Slogan!

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 8 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 8 months ago
I have devised a Slogan for all the Duck Duck Go haters in the world. It is "Ducks Don't Suck!" I know it's simple but I think it could really take off.

Cheers,
Natural Artesian Water

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

MyUser
Yes, "Ducks Don't Suck," but "suck" is a negative word, making the recipient unconsciously associate negative things with the product.

Right now, "Google tracks you, we don't" is good (though the first clause is negative), but it defines DDG by what Google isn't.

The young Google spent a long time devising a slogan. Their original one was "The Little Search Engine That Could" (wow). There is some debate about who invented "Don't Be Evil," but one day they were brain-storming for company mantras and one employee thought that the list that they had come up with, including "don't be late for meetings" and "be nice to others" was lame. He spoke up and said "don't these all fall under Don't Be Evil?" Everyone but the work-place designers hated it, so those designers began putting it everywhere (on white-boards, on cubicle walls) until it slowly became the internal slogan.

Then one day, Eric Schmidt, then the CEO, accidentally let the slogan slip during a press conference and Google hasn't heard the end of it since.

How about "DuckDuckGo - The Answers Search Engine."

Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 2 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Ah that's a cool bit of info about Google.

I just think that the current slogan is fairly long - "DuckDuckGo. The search engine that doesn't track you.".

I do really like "DuckDuckGo - The Answers Search Engine.", except that every search engine gives you answers, and so we need to separate ourselves from the crowd -What makes us better?

I have never thought about the subconscious association with negatives in "Ducks Don't Suck", too.

Also, Duck Duck Go doesn't appeal to a very wide audience, and so I believe that the slogan should include the wider audience. Some may not know what a search engine is, or the repercussions of being tracked by Google, this is why we need a slogan to make Duck Duck Go appeal to more people by including, in a few short words, the money Google makes off their privacy.

Not this exactly, but " DuckDuckGo - We don't sell your privacy. "
Something along those lines I think would be more suitable for the point they are trying to get across, although it still has the negative.

Another problem may be that people don't know how Google actually tracks them. So maybe it could be:

"DuckDuckGo - Search the web on incognito mode"

Cheers,
Natural Artesian Water.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago Link
MyUser
True. (DDG of course gives you Instant Answers, but the general public doesn't know that).

I like the idea of "search the web on incognito mode" but I think it needs to sound a bit better. (The reference to Google Chrome always irks me; Firefox had Private Browsing first!)

Love the ideas,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 2 years and 8 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago
anonymous
I think the current slogan is elegant and hits on the important message. My only concern is that it does use negative language. It highlights what DuckDuckGo doesn't do instead of what it does.
sebasorribas
You have a point there....but highlighting what DDG doesn't do it's what makes the diference with other search engines.
I like the current slogan
posted by sebasorribas Community Leader2 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
If you wanted to improve on it, changing the language to remove the negative wording is all that should be adjusted. The slogan is strong already. What sets DDG apart from other search engines should be the focus, and the current slogan does a great job in that regard.
anonymous
Just spitballing here.

"DuckDuckGo: Always Private"
anonymous
I liked this one too. Although carrying a negative word, I liked the original slogan "DuckDuckGo. The search engine that doesn't track you." because this is the identity of DDG.
anonymous
Duck Duck Go. Leave no Trace.
waterlubber
Ha, I like that.
Might be copyright though
posted by waterlubber 2 years and 7 months ago Link
MyUser
DuckDuckGo - Your Search is Secret

DuckDuckGo - For The Ducky

DuckDuckGo - Move Smart and Make Things

DuckDuckGo - Instant Privacy
posted by MyUser 2 years and 7 months ago Link
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 7 months ago
anonymous
You+Search=Duck Duck Go
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 7 months ago Link
Koya
DuckDuckGo - No Bullsh*t

I use DDG because it gives relevant results higher up, not being pushy and with the Instant Answers it makes searching for items even faster, being anonymous is just a bonus to me personally.

Google is spread over a wide variety of areas and I noticed that their ability to fetch information relevant to my searches was getting worse, DDG is focused on searches and so they are clearly head and shoulders and the rest of the body above any other search engine.

I am aware that swearing in a slogan is a bad idea, so something like
DuckDuckGo Just Searches Efficiently
may be better
posted by Koya 2 years and 7 months ago Link
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 7 months ago
MyUser
DuckDuckGo. Go search.
posted by MyUser 2 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Duck Duck Go- Your Search.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 7 months ago Link
Tharthan
The thing is, that last word in the slogan is a vulgarity (as it is derived from a vulgar phrase relating to private parts, similarly to another similar word that begins with "bl").

So that doesn't really work well, especially if DuckDuckGo is trying to be a safe and friendly search engine that anyone should be able to use.

And since "Ducks Don't Stink" doesn't rhyme, your proposed slogan doesn't ring true if it is made in a neutral, clean way.
posted by Tharthan 2 years and 4 months ago Link