Duck Duck Go Censorship

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 9 months ago
So I'm a little puzzled why people use DuckDuckGo. It's great and intuitive, however content is still being significantly filtered out of what you see. All Adult content for instance is still filtered with no way around it, including image searching. It's not really a "Search Engine" if results are censored.

Any tips? This issue has been brought up for years however it never seems to get resolved. Just puzzles me is all, the results are there, but they're being hidden: for who?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Results are not censored, if you don't get adult results even if you disabled safe-searching, then it's a bug or a relevancy problem.
About images, yes, they're censored and currently you can't disable a safe-search for them. I think they're working on implementing it for images too.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link
Bull3tM0nk3y
Yeah, if you can turn off the "censorship", you're not being censored. At all.
posted by Bull3tM0nk3y 2 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
That's simply not true. "If you're a child don't read any further" :)

If you do a picture search with a very common "soft" adult keyword like for example "pus**" on DuckDuckGo and Startpage with safesearch off on both "search engines" you see the difference.

It is censored on DuckDuck you get pictures of cats :)

If it's a kid search engine you should advertise it so everyone knows and no one will try use it for por*.

Otherwise you should not filter anything if the user sets it to "off".
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago Link
MyUser
People use DDG for (maybe) three main reasons:
- No tracking; DDG doesn't track you (https://duckduckgo.com/privacy)
- Instant Answers; DDG has Instant Answers that give you answers immediately
- Good design; As you pointed out, DDG has good design

(Also, I use DDG because it's awesome).

DDG filters results in three cases:
- If it's "Adult" and SafeSearch is enabled (this can be disabled at https://duckduckgo.com/settings)
- If it's a "content-mill" meaning it's from a website that churns out low-quality information
- If DDG doesn't now about it; DDG doesn't have the money to crawl as much of the web as Google or Bing (DDG does use Yandex and other search indexes, but those are way smaller than Google's)

Usually however (unless you're searching really super-obscure or for something "Adult") DDG is great.
posted by MyUser 2 years and 9 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago
aliak
May I add just one more thing.
DDG is more informative since you first choose context for your searches through instant answers. Then you see first lines from wikipedia. Then first site is, if DDG know it, the official site.
posted by aliak 2 years and 9 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 2 months ago