Somethings wrong here, at the initial DDG search window all day when I start typing a word it fills in the box for me. Really don't understand.

thobby thobby
Created: 3 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 3 months ago
I just started to type Michele and it put Macys + some other stuff. It's also doing a drop down list but this is in the search box. And it happens really quickly, I don't know how to explain that, but I've been using this for a yearish and it's different than before. The third try it behaved the way it used to. Could it be a virus on my computer or something? It just doesn't feel right or how it normally is.
So I just typed Michelle again in a new DDG tab and it only did the drop down the way it normally does. :s

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I also have this issue since yesterday, but not always.
Firefox on OS X Yosemite, both latest and greatest versions.

Didn't install any new addons recently that might have caused this.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
thobby
I have OS X and Firefox too. I haven't added anything either.
posted by thobby 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I've been having the same problem for the last 36 hours (I've used DDG for 3 or 4 years). Sometimes opening another tab fixes it, and sometimes I have to close the window. I have very good virus and malware protection, so I would be surprised if that's the source of the problem.
thobby
Yes, when I opened a second tab I think that one behaved normally but the original page was still filling in long strings of words in the textbox after entering one or two letters. I ran a full virus and malware check and it said there was nothing.
anonymous
Thank you for posting this problem. I came to look for answers, as I'm having the exact same thing happen on the first screen whenever I come to DDG to search. Just started happening in the past few days and have looked to see if my settings have changed. They haven't. Type in a couple of letters and it's off to the races in the search box with a list below too. The drop down list is okay, but not the erroneous guessing game in the search box. I have to hit enter to whatever comes up and then do my search from the second page.

Sometimes I get lucky and this claptrap doesn't happen, but I do want it to stop as it's becoming very annoying.

I'm also concerned about tracking my searches. Oddly enough, when I put a "P" into the box, it goes to Petco, which is a search I've done in the past. I do clear all history, cookies, cache, etc. regularly throughout the day. Is that "P" thing just an odd coincidence?
anonymous
I typed in "naif define" and DDG handed me a search for "nordstrom auto comic fests illinoi department stores in new york."
thobby
When I typed in "m" I got something like Macys Department Store Shoes in Wisconson" or something really long to that effect. All the drop down suggestions were all long strings of words also. And as mentioned would not let me delete or alter this.
thobby
Yes, I tried to delete the string of words and they kept reappearing. It wouldn't let me type my own text. I wish I'd taken a screen shot, I didn't notice offhand if the dropdown list had anything I'd searched before but most of it seemed really odd ~ all of it long strings of words. It is pretty disconcerting.
brians
Thanks for submitting this issue. We just released some changes that I think should fix it. If you're still experiencing issues let us know.

Thanks,
Brian
posted by brians Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
thobby
Okay, thanks. :D
thobby
So I figured out to some degree what is going on here, at least in my case. After I click in the search window, almost automatically I move the cursor to just below the search box. I'm pretty sure I've done this about a million times throughtout my history of searching stuff online, in order to type without the cursor blocking my view. But in DDG in the drop down suggestion list if you even FLOAT your cursor on one of the suggestions it automatically fills the search box with the suggestion. As you try to ammend what is in the search box it keeps automatically changing it to whatever your cursor happens to be floating over in the drop down area. Why it wont let you delete or change your search terms and keeps changing. Then I felt like, oh - how did I get so confused. But I'm pretty sure I have always put the cursor directly under the search box immediately after clicking in there. I just tested it on Google and sure enough the drop down suggestions can be hovered over without affecting the content of the search box. Only when you CLICK on the drop down suggestion in Google does it put it into the box. So what I don't know is if DDG has always been like this and I somehow never left my cursor below the search box, or if something else has changed with DDG. I really don't know. It's just funny that it has been an issue now after using DDG for over a year. At first I felt kind of stupid but no, I don't think so, I think I behaved with the cursor the way I have for years and the way which is natural, to click in the box and move it to the easiest nearest place out side of the box - which would be right below.
Plus, I'm clearly not the only one who has noticed and been perplexed by this just recently. So what gives?
anonymous
And the problem is: If the mouse pointer happens to be over the search-suggestion drop down when it expands, whatever suggestion randomly lies under the _stationary_ mouse pointer is automatically selected into the search box. If the mouse pointer is elsewhere when you start typing then things work normally.

This seems to be part of an intentional change to update the search box from the suggestion list during mouse pointer movement. I don't really understand the point, I can read the search suggestion under the mouse pointer just fine without it being copied to the search box,, and saving a click is not worth the side effects.

This change is driving me crazy. Time will tell if I learn to live with it, or go back to feeding google.
anonymous
dear citizens and duckworthy persons- the facepage of DDG has little dots under the searchbox. click each dot until you get the CUSTOMIZE label and click that. There are 4 tabs. The first tab = General and has the settings for the "auto text" stuff. You can save these setting with a password but if you dont, they will default back after close open browser.

love the duck.
anonymous