Redirect function within privacy automatically reverts to being switched off

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 3 months ago
Hi,

I'm new to the site and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but have have an issue with the duckduckgo redirect privacy setting.

I've set duckduckgo to be my default search site within my browser (which is Firefox 38.0.5) and on my iphone which is running iOS 8.3.

Now when I go to the privacy settings the redirect function (which duckduckgo say within their privacy policy is on by default) appears to be switched OFF by default! This is the same on my phone and browser. I switched the option to 'on' and saved and exited the setting. Later I went back to the settings and my saved options had reverted back. The redirect was switched off again! I'd not quit out of the brower or changed anything whilst performing some searches. I tried changed and saving the settings a number of times but ALWAYS the redirect diverts to being switched off.

I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm very dissappointed about this because privacy is very improtant to me and feel I've been let down by duckduckgo. I run MAC OS X 10.6.8 and would appreciate some help to my problem.

Also, does this mean all my search have been visible to sites I have visited?

Thanks in advance.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Thanks for reporting it, I can confirm that feature never stays "ON" ! That must be a bug introduced in the last period... while they fix it, I suggest you to activate it using URL parameters.
In this case you should add &kd=1 in the URL string, this method is working.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
So do this mean my all my previous searches have been visable to websites? I have had https switched on in my settings. Will that keep my search private to sites that don't use https?

Thanks for your assistance
anonymous
Read here to understand what was visible when the option was Off. Note that it was visible only to the destination website, because HTTPS protects you with encryption, so the url is not visible to third-parties.
MyUser
Is redirect actually working? I'm wondering if this is just a problem with the settings menu.

You can also look at the cookies in your browser and check if redirect is on there.

Hope you figure it out,
Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
How can I tell if its just a problem with the settings menu? All I know for sure is that the first time I ever visited the site, which was Tuesday redirect was switched off in the settings by default so I'm sure if it's a n issue with cookies.

Thanks for you help
anonymous
Yes it's working, it redirects to r.duckduckgo.com when correctly active.
brians
Thanks for finding this, I'm looking into it now.
posted by brians Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
brians
I tracked down the issue and we have a fix that will be rolling out shortly.

The good news is there are NO privacy impact here. It was an issue with the settings page.

The bug was introduced by changes we made last week to how the default for that setting is determined. It used to always be ON. But we now default to OFF for newer browsers that support the meta referrer tag. The meta referrer tag solves the same privacy issues in a much more elegant way, you can read more about it here: https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/0....

The reason we wanted to make the change is because not sending every click through the redirect will make using DDG way faster without sacrificing on privacy.

Both FF38 and Safari on newer versions of iOS support the meta referrer tag, which is why you were seeing the setting off by default.

After the fix rolls out you should be able to opt back into using redirects if you want. However, we don't think it's necessary. We're also going to update the description on the settings page to reflect these recent changes.

Thanks again for your helping finding this!
posted by brians Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks a lot, I didn't know that meta referrer tag!