How does DDG choose between Foursquare and Yelp for the Places Instant Answers?

cdohertyk cdohertyk
Created: 3 years and 4 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 3 months ago
Sometimes, the place card in the instant answers bar comes from Foursquare. Other times, Yelp. How does DDG decide which to use? Is there a way I can set my preference apart from using the individual !bangs?

EDIT: Giving this a bump because lately all of my places cards/instant answers have been from Yelp, and I really don't want to use Yelp at all.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

MyUser
Hmph. I've never seen a Foursquare Places IA (I'd really like to). What searches are you getting that on? maybe I can guess a bit on it.

Note: just so you know, what you're talking about is called an Instant Answer or IA for short. They're those awesome answers at the top. !bangs are where you !bang yourself to another search engine. For example, if you want to search on startpage, you'd add "!startpage" to your search. If you want to search StackOverflow, you just add "!so" to your search.

Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 3 years and 3 months ago Link
cdohertyk
Thanks for the tip! Check out Brian's reply below; he explains why I was seeing Foursquare IAs. And as a former Foursquarer, it makes me happy to hear that you'd like to see those results!
posted by cdohertyk 3 years and 3 months ago Link
brians
We recently added Foursquare to our backend and we have been using it for searches in NYC where the relevancy has been really good. Our plan is exactly as you suggest, to create an option for you to select between Foursquare/Yelp/others for Local search.

In the meantime you can control which one triggers by adding "yelp" or "foursquare" to the end of the query. i.e.:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=las+vegas+hote...
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=las+vegas+hote...
posted by brians Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
cdohertyk
Hey, thanks for the reply. I really want to be able to toggle my results to use Foursquare, so that's good news. (Also, your explanation makes perfect sense: I was getting Foursquare IAs when I was in NYC, and they stopped when I moved to Minneapolis).

However, searching "las+vegas+hotels+foursquare" still shows Yelp results in the IA bar. Of course, the normal search results show Foursquare links with that query.
posted by cdohertyk 3 years and 3 months ago Link
brians
Doh, sorry, you're right. We just disabled Foursquare temporarily last week. It will be coming back very soon along with the UI element to toggle between the two. Thanks for your patience!
posted by brians Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link