Would it be possible to implement an option to toggle the "highlight query" function when pressing "h" to select the search bar?

Pelvis Pelvis
Created: 2 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 10 months ago
I use keyboard control and either when I select with my Vim-control extension, or press "h" to select the search bar on the DDG page, it highlights all of the text.

Usually, the only reason I am selecting the bar is because I want to add a word or two to narrow my search, or specify a !bang. It would be nice to have an option to place the cursor either at the beginning or the end (preferably the end) of the query, without the text highlighting, when selecting the search bar with the keyboard control.

Either this could be a togglable behaviour, or one could simply press Ctrl + a to highlight all of the text. This is already default in most if not all browsers).

Note that the mouse seems to work fine for placing only the cursor, but I would rather use the keyboard, without the extra step of moving from homerow to tap an arrow key - an uncomfortable and inefficient movement that promotes RSI when repeated very often (I have done this motion *thousands* of times adopting DDG as my default search engine, and it's starting to add up and cause me pain).

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.