search defaults

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 7 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 7 months ago
Instead of making "open in new tab" an optional advance setting, please make it the default.

It's more convenient as a default than having to remember to set it every time.

Please do it better than google.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Like any setting, one way works for some and another way works for others. DDG not only provides various settings, they provide multiple ways of saving\using the settings so users don't need to set them every time.

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 7 months ago Link
Can you take a poll, and maybe change it?

I really wonder how many folks would prefer to leave the search results in one pane and just kill a tab after investigating a link

instead of having to mess with the browser <back> button which may or may not work depending upon how the page is designed and how many links on that page were clicked...

just asking for you to take a shot at being better than google and the other search engines is all

btw i really liked your interview on NPR a couple of months ago... that's why i started using your engine on a more regular basis.

keep up the outstanding work.

we need good competition
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 7 months ago Link
Thanks for your input and comments. I remember that NPR interview, I didn't know that Gabriel had been interviewed and was surprised to hear him!

Since the setting that you are discussing is user configurable and can be saved for future sessions, why not just change it to your preferred setting and use that? Let me know if I'm over-simplifying this issue.

Sorry, the forums don't yet have a polling feature.

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 7 months ago Link
A reminder: in most browsers you can middle click (by pressing down the scroll roller) to open a link in new tab.
posted by MyUser 2 years and 7 months ago Link
Absolutely! I am fed up having to go back and click through to change the setting any time I do any regular maintenance on my computer.

Make the default setting 'new tab' so that I do not have to go back and open new tabs any time I do a search with Duckduckgo.

I cannot believe you do not realize how aggravating this is!
posted by bocknobby 1 year and 3 months ago Link
Your's would be a good example of using either the Cloud or Bookmarklet methods for saving\accessing your settings. Another option would be to whitelist the DDG cookies to prevent them from being deleted when running maintenance.

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 3 months ago Link