How to re-select no region?

spacebar spacebar
Created: 2 years and 5 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 5 months ago
I since me and Google broke up and me and DDG are kind of like an item now, I have been exploring all of DDG's capabilities lately. I clicked on region and set it for my country. But when I tried to re-set it back to "no region" in advanced settings and on the results page, neither one takes. Clicking the little X next to the region toggle switch just reloads the results page and still has my country selected.

Probably just a charming DDG quirk I haven't figured out yet but it would be nice to know to make the "no region" selection stick.

At the very least, just letting know the DDG staff this option is acting up.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Strange. I've tested in 3 ways removing the region: From Settings, Using the x Next to the nation flag (as you did) and going into the region screen (by clicking on the flag) and selecting clear, and all 3 worked as expected.

Not knowing your operating environment it's hard to help determine why you are getting the results that you are reporting, but it could be a browser add-on that is interfering with the functionality. Try running your browser in safe mode to see if you get the same results.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 5 months ago Link
spacebar
I'm on a mac desktop from 2006.

I'm using safari 6.1.6

and OSX 10.7.5

Will try running browser in safe mode.
posted by spacebar 2 years and 5 months ago Link
spacebar
I was able to get it to switch back to no region opening firefox. Now it is says no region selected in safari too.

I couldn't find how to run safari in safe mode. Is that the same as starting my computer in safe mode and then just opening safari? Rebooting is kind of a lot of work for me. :)
brians
We had someone else report this yesterday. I think it might be a bug, but we haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

If it happens again can you go to duckduckgo.com/settings, click "Show Bookmarklet and Settings Data" and copy your settings JSON over here?
posted by brians Staff2 years and 5 months ago Link
spacebar
Well, it hasn't happened again because I haven't tried setting a region again after I fixed it with firefox. But if you want me to reproduce it in safari again I probably could.

My current json settings are:

{"kae":"d","k5":"1","k7":"042f09","k8":"f2f6cd","k9":"a83d0e","kaa":"667b86","kah":"wt-wt","kak":"-1","kj":"0a310e","kx":"905914","ky":"152003"}
brians
Thanks, I tried using those settings but can't reproduce...

If you don't mind, can you try Safari again? Maybe the settings there are different?
posted by brians Staff2 years and 5 months ago Link
spacebar
After a few tries, I was able to deselect my country for no region. It didn't work when I tried it by clicking on the flag on the results page and selecting "clear". So I went into advanced settings and chose "no region selected" did a search test and it still identified my region as the U.S. I thought maybe it was some kind of refresh issue so, on the results page, I clicked the flag and selected "clear" one more time and that has seem to have stuck after a few search tests.
spacebar
i forgot to mention I did everything I just detailed in my previous post in safari.