motron44 motron44
Created: 2 years and 8 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 8 months ago
say I copy:
98 cadillac seville sls
from another site
I come to duck duck & type:
then I want to "paste" 98 cadillac seville sls after the 19
can't do it
When I type 19, the drop down list appears for 19 & won't let me paste 98 cadillac seville sls
I am sure the paste box is interfering with the drop down, but it has been that way for a long time
Why can't it be fixed??
thanks

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Thanks for posting. I'm unable to replicate what you are reporting, both from the DDG home page and from a DDG results page. Not knowing your operating environment it's hard to help determine why you are getting the results that you are reporting, but it could be browser specific or a browser add-on that is interfering with the functionality. Try running with a different browser or run your browser in safe mode to see if you get the same results.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 8 months ago Link
spacebar
I was able to replicate it but I seldom right click when pasting so never encountered it. What I usually do is use the keyboard to paste (and copy) and I was able to paste "98 cadillac seville sls" after the "19" just fine.
posted by spacebar 2 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
Oh, I didn't think of that, I too use keyboard (shift-insert) to paste. But I just tested on my browser using the touch pad buttons and was still able to paste using that method.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 8 months ago Link
spacebar
Also, for the record, the same thing occurs for me when I try to use right click to paste after "19" on Google.
posted by spacebar 2 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
this is a common browser anomoly. i think the browser hijacks the copy buffer. and i suspect the reason is because it is not your ordinary text box. this is especially true of the address bar.

try this instead. select, menu item copy, click into box, menu item paste. i bet that works.

also i suspect within the browser code is a reporting block and after having open and using for long time, it gets jammed up. i also bet if you close-reopen that problem does not happen for a while.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 8 months ago Link
anothernewphone
I just attempted to replicate this on the DDG homepage in Firefox, but I didn't have any issues. I typed "19" control+v and it pasted fine. Then I tried "19" followed by right-clicking and pasting. Again, no issues.
posted by anothernewphone Staff2 years and 8 months ago Link
andrey_p
Hey motron44, this turned out to be a bug with our autocomplete dropdown. A fix should've just gone live. Could you check again and let us know if you're still experiencing any problems?
posted by andrey_p Staff2 years and 7 months ago Link
motron44
same-o, same-o
Here is images of me typing "19", then "right click" paste of "Not compatible with OnStar RemoteLink system"
Not compatible with OnStar RemoteLink system will NOT Paste
One of the "selections" pastes instead
I.E. 11
take that back,.....I CANNOT post images to this
posted by motron44 2 years and 6 months ago Link