Change the name DuckDuckGo to something more professional (not sounding childisch)

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 3 years and 1 month ago
Hi, I often try to persuade customers to not use Google and instead duckduckgo. But I always feel awkward, when it comes to the name DuckDuckGo, which sounds to me very childish and not like a professional search engine which is an alternative to Google.

Hence, I vote for a new professional name and logo.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

buckeye
but you think that google - which was named by a child - sounds professional? how about yahoo - does it sound professional? People are used to the names but they certainly don't sound professional

if votes mattered in this case I would vote to keep the name
posted by buckeye 3 years and 1 month ago Link
MyUser
I've always liked the playfulness of DDG's name. (it's what orignally got me interested in the engine, before I started learning about privacy.)

If you feel a bit too awkward with the name, you can say "DDG" and give them the domain name "ddg.gg"

It's quite difficult to change the name of a product, especially if the product name is also the name of the company and the main domain name.

However, what sort of name did you have in mind?
posted by MyUser 3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
A more nicer sounding and catchy word. Maybe a fantasy word.
Or maybe something which says something of the search engine, like "save search" or such.

ddg.gg is not really a solution, as it will be forwarded to duckduckgo.com.

"DDG Search" would also be better solution for me :)
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 1 month ago Link
Tharthan
Personally, I think that you might be being overbothered by something that isn't even a problem.

DuckDuckGo is a lovely name for the search engine, and it is here to stay.
posted by Tharthan 3 years and 1 month ago Link
Tharthan
I love the name "DuckDuckGo". I hope it isn't ever changed.

And Buckeye indeed raises a good point: "Google" comes from "googol", which comes from the babyspeech utterances of a mathematician's nephew (or grandson or something like that), when he asked them what they thought the number should be called.

Compared to that, "DuckDuckGo" sounds plenty professional.
anonymous
rename DuckDuckGo please.
Tharthan
Why?
anonymous
you cannot be serious.
anonymous
btw. professional? you mean pro-fay-shun-all?
and what about bing? as in bing-bong. or badda-bing?
and google? thats the sound you make when you gargle.
facebook? thats the conjugated noun for "face booked" as when one gets a picture of one's face when arrested and booked. co-incidentally the site is 'owned' by one who stole and considering the image-grab-job, may still be stealing... like stealing privacy.
and goldman-sachs... as in a "man with the gold sacks america".

what's your name?
spacebar
Considering the name is a pun on a children's game (Duck Duck Goose) where the object is to avoid being "it", I would say the name is fitting and smart. Third party advertisers would love nothing more than for us all to be "it" or the "goose" and I suspect the name DuckDuckGo derived out of rebellion to that paradigm.
posted by spacebar 3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
In other words, we should all be goose-ing searches. Personally, I only find full flavor DDG a bit of a mouthful but my biggest annoyance is definitely in retrieving tabs from the location bar. "ddg insert specific one query of thousand others opened in tab or history here" is easier and faster on typing than "duck that partial". Otherwise, I love DDG for how it throws progeneration professionalism on its head yet does not forget to be a bit witty.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Ok I see. Many companies have childish strange sounding names. I wasn't aware of this. Next time I will say to customers, that internet companies seems to like such strange names and give them examples mentioned here :)