Translation token information and context are needed

balacobaco balacobaco
Created: 3 years and 2 months ago
In this token to translate:

Viewing results from the %s for %s

There are two placeholder that I cannot imagine what should or could be their contents. Is it possible to include information, possibly an clear and direct example of where this string is used? I imagine the information being added to all language translation interfaces, but if this is not possible, I ask for PT_BR and Brit. Eng. (the two languages I contribute to).

This is not the first time I see this kind of case. There are languages that will need a very different order of words/ideas in the sentence to have the same meaning of the full English sentence. The consequence of this is that the placeholder content must have a way to be exchanged. Is there? And, so translator are aware of such cases, a broader token/sentence context and data must be added to the interface.

I think that depend on translators to discuss/ask this about the tokens they feel it is needed is error prone, and will not detect errors, sometimes in important tokens.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Looking at the other tokens just added, I think it's something like Viewing results from the 'Past Week' for 'you search here' (date search is coming!).
Yes the token notes are in english and added to all languages. I can add it when I'm sure about it.

About placeholders order, if I remember correctly you can choose to write %1$s , %2$s etc.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago Link
brians
+1 That's correct.
posted by brians Staff3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I deserve a cookie for this!
Context added.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago Link
balacobaco
Thank you both, very much. The note there now is crystal clear. :)

I'll make posts about contexts that I find useful to have. But, just a humble suggestion, I think they should exist for all tokens: context, examples, link to help about order¹ of placeholders, when present.

¹ It is the same syntax that C printf (and sister functions in any language) uses, but I guess most translators are not familiar with them, may not remember it so easily, so a "one click that's it" page can be valuable. The page linked about placeholders is there. But a I'm talking about a simpler page or section just about the order; two examples and the syntax, direct link to this. I have read that page but missed the order part (because most of it were things I already knew, probably skimmed through a few ones, like this).
posted by balacobaco 3 years and 2 months ago Link