DuckDuckGo browser

[Old Forum folklorin] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 2 months ago
Hi,

DuckDuckGo is expanding and creating a cool private world.
So why not to create a DDG browser with privacy concerns and core implementation of all that widgets that I have to set up in my Firefox browser.
I will post some further ideas about the engine.

See you,
Kirill

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Duly noted! Any particular things you (and the community) would like to see? I like this idea but would love to hear some really creative things that could make it *the best browser ever created*

privacy components
features
fun stuff
etc

Whatcha got? :)

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi,

Challenge accepted ;)
Will send you some ideas.

See you,
Kirill
posted by [Old Forum folklorin] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I'd like to offer some ideas. I began scripting HTML in 1997... and have watched the net take off in many directions. If you're open, I'd more than love to share some idea related dead-ringers; structures in GUI layouts specifically, as well as data manipulations that could easily shift and change the way users see and operate business through a sophisticated web browser.

Thx!
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Mmm there's already Tor Browser for this... you would end up copying 90% of it.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi,

TOR browser is not the only solution.
Still it is really hard to install TOR browser and make it work.

See you,
Kirill
anonymous
I'm definitely a fan of this idea. Though developing something of this scale would obviously not be trivial.

For a desktop browser, I think making it ENTIRELY open source would be a great idea. In fact, you don't even have to release it for a while. Just develop the basic idea, release it on GitHub, develop it further, collaborate, release an Alpha, and eventually when it's really good, release the beta.

I'd love the idea/concept of a web browser that simply does track anything. Other then Firefox, (and I'm not sure that it doesn't send any usage statistics), I'm pretty sure that it's hard to find a browser that doesn't track any of your actions.

A proxy mode/option on the toolbar would definitely be cool, but many of the UI/UX from browsers like Chrome or Firefox would be nice, such as the customizability found in the themes and add-ons/extensions.

I really enjoy the idea of DuckDuckGo making it's own desktop (or even mobile) browser, and I would love to follow it's progress, suggest, and see where it goes with it.
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi,

Thank you a lot for your enthusiasm! We would really be happy if join us on creating such a browser one day.

See you,
Kirill
anonymous
Wow! I love this idea!

I makes totally sense to me, to make a browser with built-in privacy oriented functionallities. : )

Every time I'm going to use another computer, either when I buy a new one for myself or I'm changing out the one I using at my college, it's just  time consuming to set up a browser with all the functionalities that I find necessarily before I want to browse the web.

With the DuckDuckGo browser, I would just need to install it, and eventually import settings from a settings-backup-file and I would be ready to go very, very quickly!

Instead of downloading a browser of choice, then having to install tons of add-on/extensions for privacy, and finaly having to configure ALL of these add-ons/extensions.

Personally, I would save me a lot of time.

You could actually make the user choose a specific edition/packages/bundles of the browser, with predefined extra features added, when they download.
I mean some nice to have features, that is not coming it the standard edition.
Like ALL packages would have the same privacy-protecting features, but one package could be especially good for say web developers.

I could choose to download the web developer edition to have extra tool that I would find useful, in my work.
Others might find another predefined package useful.
And if not they could make their very own customized packages.

Here are the features I would love this new DuckDuckGo browser to have (privacy related, need to have):

1. Built-in tracking script-detection (and optional blocking).
   It could be a partnership with Ghostery.com, a browser add-on for many mordern browsers.
   It detects analytics scripts like Google Analytic, and blocks them on a site per site basis.
   It should be possible to make the browser NOT blocking all those scripts, but it should be blocking them by default.

Similar to: Ghostery by Ghostery.com.

2. It should block the referrer from site to site, and that should work on a site per site basis too.
   It should block refferer by default, but it should be based on a list of sites that requires you to send the referrer.

That list could be maintained by DuckDuckGo.
   It would be nice to see a tiny button in the UI, that makes a request about adding the actual web page visited to this list.

Similar to: RefControl by James Abbatiello.

3. Built-in adblocking software.
   It would be lovely to see a built-in adblocker, that works smooth ad clean just like Adblock Plus.

Similar to: Adblock Plus.

Some more cool features to include (non-privacy related, nice to have, web design related):

A. Easy way of taking a screenshot of webpages.

It would be lovely to see a way of screenshot of the whole of a web page or just the part above the fold.
   It should be configurable. I mean you couuld make customizable settings, that would be used as standard when hitting a shortcut.
   Or you could right a button in the UI to decide whether you want to export as PNG, JPG, GIF or whatever, and whether you want the whole page or not.

Similar to: Screengrab by Andy M.

B. Integration of Firebug, not to confuse with Firefox (the browser.).

It would be nice to have Firebug as a build-in functionality.

Please see: Firebug by Joe Hewitt, Jan Odvarko, robcee, FirebugWorkingGroup

C. A one-click way of clearing/deleting the cache.

I find myself doing this a lot.  So it would be very useful to a functionality similar to what the Firefox add-on Empty Cache Button does.
   It add a simple button in the browsers UI, which deletes the cache when clicked.

Similar to: Empty Cache Button by mvm.

D. User agent switcer .

It would be nice to be able to switch the User agent of the browser.

Please see: User Agent Switcher by Chris Pederick.

This is just my thought on what a DuckDuckGo browser, should be able to do, if I was to decide. : )

I hope this makes sense to you all. If it doesn't feel free to ask. : )

Best regards,
Casper Qvortrup

- DuckDuckGo Forum Moderator.
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
zac
Nice! Let's keep this thread alive and see where else we can go with this :)

-Zac

zac
Looks like this was marked as "In Progress" by another mod. Just want to point out that it's not currently a project we're working on. If, though, we decide it's a valuable thing to do down the road--we'd definitely like to have a history of input from the community.

Marking as, "maybe later" but I don't want anyone to think we're passing by this idea!

-Zac

anonymous
Hi, Zac,

If DDG doesn't mind I would like to create this project on GitHub, so that we could gradually start connecting people who want to help in writing it. It can also help new ideas to appear.

Some small announcements on the browser:

1. It will be based on Gecko engine.
  2. It will have secure DNS service.
  3. Built in features (thanks to Casper and DDG 'Fix tracking' site):
    1. Ghostery (Block third-party trackers)
    2. RefControl (Block referrer from the site)
    3. Adblock (Block ads)
    4. Privacyfix (Google and Facebook tracking)
    5. BetterPrivacy (Flash cookies)
  4. Support of bundles to help people with specific needs just install a bundle and not collect the ad-ons through the ad-on installer (Again thanks to Casper ;))
  5. Some cool design features to be announced further :)
Hope guys you will be able to join me on GitHub.
Feel free to write me.

See you,
Kirill
anonymous
Yes, I'd be very glad to contribute. :)
Most importantly: which languages would this be developed in ?
anonymous
I totally agree with your idea about GitHub. DDG doesn't even have to spend so much time developing it: it could be primarily a community project.

From my post in this thread:

For a desktop browser, I think making it ENTIRELY open source would be a great idea. In fact, you don't even have to release it for a while. Just develop the basic idea, release it on GitHub, develop it further, collaborate, release an Alpha, and eventually when it's really good, release the beta.
anonymous
Could I collaborate, as well?

I also think that the "small announcements" should also be a joint thing, i.e. we all try to agree on the features first on GitHub, and then we start writing it.

Of course, all of this would first require DGG's consent. We can't just use their branding and do whatever we like with it!

Love if yegg13 and the employees would agree to this, and start writing it.
anonymous
Hi, dumbsearch,

More small announcements:
  1. Concerning languages :
    1. C/C++
    2. JavaScript
    3. XUL, XML (why not?)
  2. Anonimyzer evercookies support (anti-evercookies)
  3. Try to develop and implement anti-fingerprint tool without loosing the speed of the connection.
  4. Try to choose the smallest size ad-ons to put into DDG browser in order not to make the package too heavy.
I really hope that the people from DDG will be encouraged to make it.

Concerning progress, I will make a small blog for you to get small announcements from.

Feel free to talk to me!

See you,
Kirill
anonymous
I would like a GitHub to work on it.
I don't understand your plan, I'm a bit confused...

I also think that the "small announcements" should also be a joint thing, i.e. we all try to agree on all the features first on GitHub, and then we start writing it......

JavaScript is definitely my strong point, so I'll be more then happy to contribute in that area.

Your ideas seem quite interesting.
crazedpsyc
Just want to throw out there, gecko is no longer supported outside Firefox. Using webkit would be a lot easier and more likely to continue working in the future.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi!

Dumbsearch, don't worry. We will use GitHub for sure.
Concerning small announcements we are now at the stage when we need to form some kind of basis for development so that we know which features our browser will have (it shall be made first here and then we move to Git). And as you could see I tried to create that from the ideas of our community. Your JavaScript knowledge will be great for us!

Bizare, I found that out now;)
Exactly then Webkit will be better.

See you,
Kirill
posted by [Old Forum folklorin] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
@folklorin: in the built-in features you listed, I'd suggest to use less addons as much as we can. For example RefControl can be avoided simply editing the values network.http.sendRefererHeader and network.http.sendSecureXSiteReferrer in about:config .
Or Ghostery + Privacyfix can be unified with RequestPolicy, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong).
Then HTTPS Everywhere would be good to be included.
I also love NoScript but maybe that's too much for normal users... uhm yes, maybe also RequestPolicy is too much at this point. :)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Hi, Guest,

You are right. But that is actually what we are doing. These features will not be put there as ad-ons, but on the code level, so you do not see or feel them, they just work.
  1. Thanks for the RefControl tip, we will think about that.
  2. RequestPolicy is actually too powerful for home users, we can maybe put it in a high security bundle.
  3. We will not actually need HTTPS everywhere, because DDG already gives you https links to websites.
  4. Concerning NoScript I think that it blocks too much and you cannot use the site properly. But it can be also put in high security bundle.
Feel free to ask!

See you,
Kirill
ron.wolf
I agree. I think it would probably be best if we asked the creators of these add-ons for (some of) their code, or at least tips on how to integrate similar features into a browser if they have any. Starting from scratch is almost never a good idea and could result in a big mess down the road.
posted by ron.wolf 3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Got it, thanks for the explanations! :)
anonymous
Dear DDG employees and @yegg13!

I would like to ask you whether I could create a page for DDG browser on GitHub and start 'collecting' people for further collaboration to write the browser. As you can see we've cleared up pretty lots of questions concerning the engine, functionality and programming languages and can even see a bunch of people ready to help writing it.

Thanks in advance!

See you,
Kirill
yegg
I really like the enthusiasm on this thread! It shows how awesome the DDG community is.

@folklorin et al., we have thought a good deal internally on what a DDG browser would mean and the easiest path to get there. We probably would have moved on it already if we had more resources, so your offering to help is greatly appreciated.

However, to put the DDG stamp on it we'd want to put it on our main Github and help set the roadmap and especially user experience, which we think is key to getting any serious adoption (as was referenced for example with Tor browser). Most of the path we'd take aligns pretty well with what is outlined above, but there are some differences.

I think the best next step would be to have a more high-bandwidth conversation like on Skype. Anyone interested, please PM me and we can set something up ASAP.
posted by yegg Staff5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Thank you, @yegg13!

I am really happy that DDG will officially support this project and really hope that we will be able a great browser with powerful features and privacy concerned.

@yegg13 I will contact you then on Skype ASAP.

See you,
Kirill
anonymous
Hi, everybody,

The DDG browser will meet some discussions with DDG employees very soon and I really hope that by that time you will give us some more cool ideas concerning it.

Keep thinking!

See you,
Kirill
anonymous
1. HTTPS Everywhere

It would be very useful to have this add-on implemented in the basic budnle.
   I think that the browser be as useful to non-DuckDuckGo-users, as it would be for DuckDuckGo-users.
   Therefor I think this a good add-on to implement.

Please see: HTTPS-Everywhere .

2. Web of Trust (WOT)

It would be nice to be able to see the Web of Trust ratings of websites.
   It could eventually just be added to the Extended Security/Privacy bundle.

Please see: Web of Trust by WOT Services Oy.

Best regards,
Casper Qvortrup

posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
I like the idea of this project and look forward to see it develop.

One idea that I had is to have a feature that allows the user to see all tracking, cookies, scripts etc. in a separate window. Conceptually, it would have a UI like FF's or Iron's (Chrome) Inspect Element, where the user could click the screen with the alternate-mouse button and display the list. Possibly allowing the user to select items not to be blocked would be nice as well.

Thanks!

x-15a2
Death is conquered though you slumber...seven is the perfect number
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Hello, people,

1. @ScreapDK:
    1. As I know HTTPS everywhere is a really cool feature, but the problem is that we already have DDG that will give us really secure links to the websites. So I guess we don't need it, unless as you said people will use non-DDG in DDG browser.
    2. WOT is really good and we shall not underestimate it. Users are usually scared of viruses nowadays (finally understood) So when they will see the red circle near the link, the won't go there. I suggest implementing it in the basic bundle.
  2. @x-15a2:
    1. Good idea! We might put it in the development bundle as it could help guys who need it (I mean you -- developers) to use it.
Some result from tech talks can come somewhere around Thursday. By this time hope you guys will have plenty of fresh ideas concerning UI.

Feel free to ask.

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
crazedpsyc
The HTTPS Everywhere in DDG only affects results directly from DDG, so if you browse anywhere without DDG (even DDG -> website -> website 2) it will not apply. Still a useful extension.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Hi, there,

Sorry! It was my fault, didn't even think about that.
So then we for sure implement it in the basic bundle as it is really cool and really provides us with secure sites.

Still waiting for UI ideas.

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
anonymous
I would suggest as a bare minimum to have a customisable interface, such as Firefox's or even Opera's, where buttons and other UI elements could be moved at the user's discretion. Understandable if this is asking for too much for the first release, though!
anonymous
Hi, Guest,

That is the thing that we will work on for sure, but as you've already said maybe not in the first release. The main feature of the browser I think shall be, that it is easy to use! As we want it to be used from toddlers and to the pensioners.
Customization will actually help people show their individuality through the browser they use.

More ideas will help!

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
yegg
We had our first discussion today (via Skype).

Afterwards, we set up this public repository to house future code, issues etc.: https://github.com/duckduckgo/duckduckgo-browser

The current path is for @folklorin to explore the least complex ways to bundle add-ons for Firefox, e.g. those recommended at FixTracking.com.

We agreed with the above that the least amount of add-ons and the simplest integration and implementation would be best. Hence, this current path.
posted by yegg Staff5 years and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
I was hoping to attend yesterday's discussion, ended up pushing a snow blower and plowing snow... ugh.

So, based on @yegg13 's comments above, the DDG Browser project is, at least of the moment, on hold, is that correct?

In it's place is a project for "bundling" the add-ons found at FixTracking.com, which I think is a great idea.

It may help to know that Firefox has Collections which allow a user to create and (optionally) share groups of add-on. I think that these collections would be a great approach for the add-ons recommended at FixTracking.com without reinventing the wheel.
Thanks!

x-15a2
This is just the most rational first-step. What we learn from the process of bundling will help shape the approach to a browser. That said, I made a collection for the time-being.

The issue with collections is that the add-on must be housed in the Mozilla marketplace. As you can see, not all of the addons on FixTracking.com are available via Mozilla. The DDG bundle will, at least, take care of that issue.

Check it out here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/duckduckgo/duck/

-Zac

posted by zac Staff5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Hi, Zac,

Thanks for creating the privacy collection. This first step is really important for us!
In next-week's talk I will present you some great results on bundles.

Hi, x.15a2,

The project is working and as you can see is making some results. You will see more in future!

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
anonymous
After Privacy

please keep it PORTABLE and STEALTH

simply put: Will run from a flashdrive,  Maintains data in a local ini alongside the exe
                      Writes nothing to the Registry or outside the run folder

Great Idea and Very Good Luck !
NickR
anonymous
Hi, NickR,

Portable version is a good idea and we could use it, but first we will have to create a stable desktop browser.
Still, thanks for the suggestion!

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
x.15a2
Don't confuse portable with mobile. With portable, the thought is to allow the program to be fully installed and maintained on a moveable device (re: flash drive) so it can be moved and used from desktop to desktop.

x-15a2
Hi, x.15a2,

I actually understand the difference. What I meant was that we need to create first the browser itself and then try doing something around it (putting on a memory stick etc)

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
anonymous
Hi there,

So could someone please enlighten me on how exactly the new browser would be better than what already exists (mainly Firefox) ? 
Granted most of the security and privacy features - that requires add-ons like Ghostery and NoScript when using Firefox - would be built-in, but is it really worth the effort? Plus, Firefox is stable, fast and secure and it has a huge user base and a wide range of available add-ons.
Personally, I also use Safari besides Firefox for some unique native features that I like, but always with Ghostery and script blockers. 
This project needs something that'll make people switch to DDG's browser, but I don't see yet what that thing is.

I hope you guys will show me what I'm missing so I can share your enthusiasm :D

anonymous
Hi, Guest,

You are correct that lots of browsers have some alike features and big communities. But there are pretty lots of advantages that DDG browser will have:
  1. First bundle browser ever. Completely new look on the ad-ons. No more going around the marketplaces, we bring you the best solution in a bundle, you just need to understand who you are: normal user, developer or etc.
  2. Privacy inside-out. All the privacy protecting features are written through the code. You do not even notice how they work, but at the same time you are sure that your privacy and security are OK!
  3. New abilities with built-in DDG !bang technology that will let you do all your searches in zero-click
  4. Some really great design features that make your browser look minimalistic and clean. All the new web design trends reflected on the web browser look.
Uh!

Hope these descriptions will be understandable.
I also want to mention that in order to reach all these cool features we will have to do a lot of work, that is already in progress.

Feel free to ask.

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
anonymous
Hello,

I'm Blair McBride, and I'm part of the Firefox team at Mozilla. I'm quite interested in watching this project unfold, and see what comes out of it. There is some discussion here about features/traits that are perhaps missing from Firefox and either not available as an add-on or just not well suited to being an add-on. I'd like to see if any specific changes could be distilled from this, with an eye for potentially integrating such changes into Firefox itself.

I'm also the module owner of the Add-ons Manager used in Firefox (amongst other products). Since there is a lot of discussion here about possibly bundling numerous add-ons in a custom Firefox distribution, I'd be interested in hearing any difficulties and/or improvements that could be made to better support that.

- Blair
Firefox Engineer
(If anyone would prefer to contact me off-list, feel free to email me: blair AT mozilla DOT com)
posted by [Old Forum theunfocused] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
zac
Thanks, Blair! We'd definitely be interested in relating any feedback to you. I'll send you an email shortly with some more clarification.

-Zac

posted by zac Staff5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
What about basing it on Chromium to take advantage of the open source browser minus google's fingers?      
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 17 days ago Link
anonymous
Hi, Guest,

We've already thought about that and decided that it will be our further step. Now we are hardly working on a Firefox fork and for sure it also has open-source advantages.
Shortly after releasing the Firefox based version, we will do that for Chromium.

Don't worry!

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
posted by [Old Forum folklorin] • 5 years and 17 days ago Link
anonymous
I must say that I don't understand the worth doing a Chromium version as this is already an ongoing project by SRWare named Iron.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 16 days ago Link
ron.wolf
Iron is essentially Chromium with a selection of the features added by Chrome. A DDG browser would go out of its way to avoid giving websites revealing information rather than acting passively.
anonymous
Hi all,
i'm new on duckduckgo and I'm really impressed.
I like also the idea of DDG browser. I'm ready to be a beta-tester if necessary.
Sorry for my bad english.
See you soon
Bye
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Hey everyone,

I am loving to see this all unfold right now and would love to help in any way possible.
I have some programming skills and make backgrounds for some extra cash in my spare time but I would love to do either one of these for free if that would help? 
please give a way for people who are seeing this to help! even if it is spreading the word!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Hello everybody,

I'm currently seeking for people who constantly could work on the browser project with me.

Requirements are:
  1. C/C++
  2. HTML5
  3. JavaScript
  4. XUL/XML
  5. work with addons (especially for Firefox)
  6. experienced work in building packages from scratch
You have at least one of these.

We need you guys!

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
posted by [Old Forum folklorin] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Awesome, I have two of these. :)

HTML5 (heck, and everything in-between)
and JavaScript.
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I have some of these, can I help?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I would love to help you guys! : )

I know HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery, so not directly JavaScript.
And PHP, if that would be any help.

Unfortunately, I'll probably be able to help in July only, which is during school holidays.
But, I'm looking forward to work with you guys! : )

Best regards,
Casper Qvortrup

posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
This is just some feature suggestions/requests, that I would personally find useful. : )

It would be great to see something, like the following features:

1. Built-in RSS feed reader

For the moment Firefox is my primary browser. Yes, it has its own (clumsy) way of handling RSS feeds. At least in my installation/instance. It sort of doe one of two things. Most often it just adds the feed URL as a bookmark, which you can hover to see the latest entries (just the title, no description/snippet of content), and open them by clicking them.

And very, very, rarely it lets you browse the content of the RSS feed in-browser with all information shown, like title of post/entry, author, content, etc.

Best regards,
Casper Qvortrup

posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
i really don't like this idea. but you would use webkit but be careful about it ( maybe) to make your life easier... if you want to do some thing help the upstream not making a fork or start a new thing if every one who thing like you do this we will end with many crapy browser :(.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Gimme a break! Stick with Firefox. It crunches cookies and has "Ghostery" to catch various advertizing
traps.

What would be the cats meow would be a secure mail server/service.
It would have the usual spam protection like mail/gmail/yahoo mail, but won't be used for advertizing
purposes like gmail.
anonymous
If you really want a new browser -- design it with many hooks like Firefox. What about software addons?
Make it portable to *BSD/Linux, or download and install the Windoze binary.
anonymous
As a visually impaired user... I would like to see skin options that allow for different font sizes and bold etc.   enlarge icons...   the abilitity to create background colours etc....  bit like the colour options in mozilla thunderbird.   that the browser is compatible with NVDA which is a free screen reader used world wide by the visually impaired.  That will work with text to refreshable braille units.

the ability to adjust the appearance of the browser with lots of colour and size options so that it can be adapted for individual use according to your visual needs.

that there are add ons that will strip out the adds on a page...  convert and ordinary web page  eg guardian article... so that you can just get a text only version...

one that has real privacy options that work... 

i am just an ordinary basic user and dont know a lot of computer jargon...  but I would very much like a duckduckgo browser for windows 7. 

like here where there is the option for really large font in this reply that is easy to get to and just click on.   if it could do that for web pages as in this reply section that would be great

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
MY POST IS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 9 months ago Link
msyano
I would personally recommend the Tor Browser Bundle and add the following to it and make the following changes:

* Install Adblock Edge
* Install DoNotTrackMe
* about:config -> network.http.sendRefererHeader set to '0' (this makes the browser send absolutely no referers at all)

Let Me DuckDuckGo That For You
posted by msyano 4 years and 8 months ago Link
zac
Tor could definitely be used but, as a default, is too slow for it to be a compelling browser alt. for an average user. It could be used in a "TruePrivate" mode environment, though. Where the user is fully aware that they're making sacrifices to browser and page performance to gain greater privacy. 

Default: As much anti-tracking pro-user-experience capabilities as possible, without breaking the user experience.

TruePrivate Mode: Everything, and easy options to disable some things (JS blocker, Tor, etc).

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
If the goal is a secure browser, you probably can't beat Tor Browser:

Tor Browser is a modified version of Firefox that has a number of security patches, a number of add-ons (like "HTTPS everywhere") and of course, it sends everything through the Tor network.

- DC
anonymous
I disagree; the tor browser is not a viable option. It is slow, buggy, etc.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
If DuckDuckGo was to make their own browser, I would definitely use it.

How close are the DuckDuckGo News and Image searches to being finished?
anonymous
* AFAIK the "DoNotTrack" feature is entirely voluntary. You cannot force an external website to not track you, all you can do is ask nicely. In particular, DNT requests are ignored by many websites such as Google. If I am right, then DNT is worse than useless because it would give you a false sense of security.

* I am using Tor right now for regular browsing and it feels fast. I think it has improved a lot in recent years. When did you try Tor last?.. Then again, Tor speed depends a lot on which relays you pick. I seriously do not notice any meaningful slowdown with Tor, but I might be one of the lucky ones.

I am not aware of any way to provide privacy / anonymity without something like Tor, JonDo, or at least a secure proxy like what they offer at ixquick. The moment your IP is visible to the website, you have no anonymity, either from said website or from third party traffic analysis.

- DC
anonymous
As long as you don't use anything from companies like EVIL google, microsoft, apple and adobe.

Just to name a few. Also, make it FREE SOFTWARE... NOT open-source! Open-source only seeks

to improve upon code. But something can easily be open-source and still be something you need to pay for.

Whereas FREE SOFTWARE (check out the free software foundation btw) is FREE and has real

REQUIREMENTS. This will vastly improve security by making things completely open and subject to strict

terms.

Start in the open. Stay in the open.

I've been using DDG for what feels like years now. It's my primary search engine. Anything else feels

uncomfortable.
anonymous
Sorry, but you don't now what you are talking about. You seem to be mixing up the terms "Free Software" and "Freeware". Free Software has absolutely nothing to do with whether you pay for it or not. Go to the Free Software Foundation and find out for yourself. Read any Free Software license from the FSF's list and see for yourself.

The FSF keeps a list of official Free Software licenses and the OSI keeps a list of official Open Source licenses. Compare them. The two lists are almost identical, especially for popular licenses. Go ahead and try it. You will be hard pressed to find a single piece of software that the OSI says is open source and the FSF does not say is free software, or vice versa. I am not aware of a single one.

I have no idea why you think that open source does not have real requirements. The requirements of open source are dictated by the open source definition, published by the OSI. And as I said earlier, you will probably not find a single project that is open source but not free software.

- DC
anonymous
I know that this project has been inactive for a while, but I would still like to give a little bit of feedback:

1) Enable TLS 1.2 (or at least 1.1 by default). Firefox still uses TLS 1.0
2) Add a DDG theme to the browser (including to menu bar)
3) Disable the referer in about:config by default
4) Disable the Firefox health report, and other similar features
5) DDG as the default search engine
6) Have DNT on by default

Recommended add-ons to use:
ABP (Have allow some non-intrusive advertisment option set to no by default)
Disconnect
eCleaner (to clear preferences of add-ons in about:config you no longer use)
HTTPS Everywhere
UA Control (Much better than User Agent Switcher IMO)
Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on
Google advertizing cookie opt-out
anonymous
I think your 5th point is quite obvious...
anonymous
You are right, I probably should not have posted #5.
anonymous
It could be great if the DDG browser could have a really really light UI (or modulable), I use firefox and I use a lot of stylish script to keep it light (my browser is not so light now lol).

Lots of keybinds too, exemple : alt + F1 to hide/show bookmarks bar, alt + F2 to show/hide adress bar etc...

Here an exemple of what I call "light":

anonymous
Just some thoughts:

there are probably some users (like me) who do not know/can't figure out which addons are overlapping/redundant which probably makes the experience bloated (slower or more mem intensive), something to really think about.

I only saw fingerprinting mentioned once, I'd like to give that a bump, it seems to be one of the hardest things to "hide from"

There are a lot of chromium/firefoxalternative builds (here is an insane list on wikipedia), it might be useful for people to give those a try and vote on features they like. I find the ToR browser to be ok, but perhaps a bit too extreme for everyday use, the piratebay's browser is ok as is comodos (though I trust the likes of ddg and ixquick a bit more).

variations that would be great are ones (and the palemoon poster mentioned) optimized for various platforms/architectures.

Finally, people might want to keep in mind the NSA (yeah I got my tinfoil hat on as I type) of course being totally "safe" is improbable but if they are going to keep an eye on everyone then we'd might as well make them work for it. Thoughtful article by Bruce Schneier
I do hope this idea doesn't die, as a browser, open (ie auditable) that is secure and whose development is coordinated by a known and fairly trusted source (DDG) is sorely needed. fingers crossed.
anonymous
Hi to all at Duckduckgo!!

What an amazing idea, and one which didn't take me long to think up an answer to:

Quite simply people are just looking for private, anonymous and secure browsing. The onslaught of info regarding the US/UK et al. and their rude snooping has cemented that, at least in my mind.

So I think the simple answer would be could Duckduckgo collaborate with Tor and other web/browser/add on projects to invent the 'uber-browser' which would come fully loaded with all the possible tweaks and tools one would need in order to ensure that the highest levels of anonymity, privacy and security were easily available and accessible 'out of the box'.

I imagine that this suggestion is possible one which would require the most effort to fulfill, as it seems to suggest the most complete solution to what seems to be an almost limitless lack of anonimity, privacy and security if you simply load a browser and use it 'out of the box'.

The reason I suggest this is twofold:

1. Why suggest you'll do something which does not address a problem in its entirety?
2. If you're going to do something, do it properly and to the best of your ability.

On reflection, these are really the same thing.

I'm sure something already exists, but what if there were a 'consortium of public internet security', made up of individuals from the most effective privacy/anonymity projects who got together to bash heads on this?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
you can use the cross browser Breadcrumbs software, it is an OS level solution for online privacy concerns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdecY4K6vIM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Breadcrumbs-Privacy-Project/371499339567311
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I have been a fan and user of DDG search engine, on my PC, for a couple of years and have introduced it to family and friends who have grown to love it as well. It rocks on Android too. I would love to see and use a DDG Browser if one is made.

I would like to see a feature that would allow us to copy paste our own Tracking Protection Lists (ad blocking, tracking privacy, etc.) into the browser instead of just relying on another product that may have white lists.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 13 days ago Link
Superluigi6
I'd love to see a DuckDuckGo web browser. I'm only using Chrome because of the Chrome Web Store (themes, apps, and extensions).

If there ever was a DuckDuckGo browser, then I'd love to see their own version of the Chrome Web Store.
posted by Superluigi6 4 years and 8 days ago Link
anonymous
Quick, maybe foolish, question....when you type a website address into the browser on the DuckDuckGo home page, it sends you directly to the website. Doesn't that make DuckDuckGo your browser? If not, then how difficult to get an immediate one, and then revise it in the future?
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
Quote:
Quick, maybe foolish, question....when you type a website address into the browser on the DuckDuckGo home page, it sends you directly to the website. Doesn't that make DuckDuckGo your browser?
I think the confusion here is based on a misunderstanding: Search engines are not web browsers.

A web browser is the program on your computer or app on your mobile device that displays web sites. Examples are Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome, Pale Moon, etc.

A search engine is the web site you use to look up information, which typically gives you a page full of links -- nothing else. Once you click one of those links and leave the search results, you are no longer using the search engine at all.

The web browser is used to load a search engine (like DuckDuckGo) as well as any other web site that you visit.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago
ron.wolf
If privacy is a concern, it's probably best to optimize around Panopticlick. The best solution is probably either not returning a user agent string (and other HTML headers) or returning the most common one (the answer to which is not yet clear). That's the bread and butter of privacy: not being unique. Same as in the real world, actually. Chrome extensions like ModHeader and ScriptSafe are some good examples. Since it may end up being a good idea to hook into the Chrome Web Store since it (next to Firefox) has one of the most extensive lists of extensions (pun intended), perhaps it would be a good idea to base the browser on the Blink engine (or Chromium itself) in addition, since it already has the best score so far at HTML5test.
anonymous
Dear all,

was there any update on this? I also very excited about switching from browser chrome to duckduckgo!
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
x.15a2
Please read this post regarding the potential of a DDG browser.

Of course, there are many available browsers besides Chrome, some of which provide a more private browsing experience.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 6 months ago Link
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 2 months ago