UPCOMING: We're moving to the new forums soon! Be sure to migrate your account!

zac Staff zac
Created: 4 years and 11 months ago
[Oct. 21 2013] EDIT: REMINDER---PLEASE COMPLETE THESE STEPS. WE'RE MOVING SHORTLY

edit 2: spelling :(

In preparation for the full move off of this forum, we're asking that anyone with a current duck.co account that would like to port their posts to the new forum, please follow these instructions:

1. Sign up for a Community account on dukgo.com
  2. Post your new dukgo.com account name (just your account name--no other text) to this thread under your current duck.co account.
  3. Assign your current duck.co account to your new dukgo.com account using this guide

*Users must complete all steps in order for your past contributions to be tied to your dukgo.com account going forward.

As said, there are many updates still on the way and we're looking forward to your continued participation and feedback.

Cheers,

-The DuckDuckGo Team

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

This thread has been locked and is now read-only.

anonymous
I new this was the new forum! I predicted that would be the new forum on here a couple weeks ago.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
I will probably register later on today.
anonymous
i am very confused.  the forum is moving from duck.co to dukgo.com/forum "until we switch domains [back] to duck.co".  is there some technical reason for going round in circles, or is it to do with the transition from Zoho?

cheers, jack
posted by [Old Forum jackspider] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
It's a transition thing.

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 11 months ago Link
zac
To clarify, we want to keep duck.co as the community domain (since dukgo.com is difficult to remember) but we first need to get everything set up on dukgo.com so we can smoothly switch without any hiccups. When everything is set, you'll be able to type in duck.co or dukgo.com and arrive at the community platform (currently at dukgo.com).

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
That is a bad idea in my opinion (keeping the location of the forum at duck.co). A MUCH better idea would be to move the forum to duckduckgo.com/forum
anonymous
ok. why has duck.co suddenly got slow [10s to respond to requests].  it is not my connection. just this site.  jack
zac
Must be a coincidence but this forum is currently run through Zoho services, which may be experiencing slowness.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
maybe it's a case of sour grapes on your leaving zoho for pastures new.  jack
zac
"When life gives you lemons, ask to speak to the lemons' manager"

:)

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
ScreapDK
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
It shouldn't pay attention to case anywhere, it should all be lowercase, as it works with the Prosody (XMPP) database behind the scenes. Where are you seeing case sensitivity?
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi bizarre,

What I meant was, that I would like to have my username displayed as "ScreapDK", if that is possible.(?) (Notice the uppercase S, D & K.)

Like on my Twitter profile, both "ScreapDK", "screapdk", and "sCreAPdK" etc. works when put in the URL.
But the "preferred" spelling is "ScreapDK", which is for example used as rel="canonical" in the source code and various other places.

You could achieve this by storing the "pretty/preferred" spelling for each user'susername, while at the same time storing the username in all lower case. I think this is how Twitter does, as you login with username independent from the case. I.e. "Alice", "alice" and "aLicE" all works.

But it's more a "nice to have"-feature, rather than a "need to have"-feature! : D

Casper Qvortrup
Forum Moderator
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
What about all of our forum posts,will they be imported to the new forum or will we loose them?
anonymous
it's in the original text above

In preparation for the full move off of this forum, we're asking that anyone with a current duck.co account that would like to port their posts to the new forum, please follow these instructions:

1. Sign up for a Community account on dukgo.com
  2. Post your new dukgo.com account name to this thread under your current duck.co account.
  3. Assign your current duck.co account to your new dukgo.com account using this guide
*Users must complete all steps in order for your past contributions to be tied to your dukgo.com account going forward.
anonymous
david_mascio

David Mascio from DDG support
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
BUMPING thread because I want to know what you guys think of moving the forum to duckduckgo.com/forum
anonymous
I have just now signed up on the new DDG forum.
My username over there is April
with a capital A. Not april.
Could the admin please change it to April same as my screen name here?

Kate.
Still Smiling.

posted by [Old Forum april] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
zac
That can easily be added as a redirect.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
zac
April,

All accounts are currently lower-cased for the reason bizarre mentioned above, it works with the prosody (XMPP) database. You can find your XMPP info at the bottom of: https://dukgo.com/my/account

We hope to get camel-case going for user-names only in the short term. If anyone would like to help out, we could use an extra hand: https://github.com/duckduckgo/community-platform

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
april
posted by [Old Forum april] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
zac
Not yet, since Prosody relies on lower-cased user names, but we hope to have this soon.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
zac
zac

zac
Don't forget #2 above! :)

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
same username, akerbeltzalba
zac
You weren't signed in to Zoho when you posted so the crawler won't be able to see that it's you.

Please sign in and post a comment that only containts your username: akerbeltzalba   (see my example where i posted, "zac")

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
x.15a2
x.15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Making the new forum go to duckduckgo.com/forum would most likely increase the traffic of the forum.
anonymous
How would changing the URL increase traffic? most web sites including ddg just provide a link to their forums and you click on the link to get there. ddg has a community at dukgo.com making dukgo.com/forum the perfect place for the forums.
zac
All of the following cases will point to the new forum:

dukgo.com/forum
dukgo.com/ideas
ideas.duckduckhack.com
ideas.duckduckgo.com
duckduckgo.com/forum
forum.duckduckgo.com
duck.co/forum

plus any others we can think of. It should be pretty easy to find with any guess :)

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
mithrandiragain
posted by [Old Forum mithrandir] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
zac
ping again!

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Can't participate being "Guest" (not register) on your new forum ?

Please bring back this option !
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
x.15a2
The new forum will require little to no technical moderation (deleting spam) since user posts require a Community Platform account. Anyone can register for an account without an email so the community will still be able to post anonymously, but we now have full control over the system and are capable of blocking spam effectively. x-15a2 Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 10 months ago Link
dashesy
dashesy
posted by dashesy 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
goom
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
akerbeltzalba
posted by [Old Forum akerbeltzalba] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
SeanLeVan

--
Moderator of DuckDuckGo
Founder and CEO of Dumbchat
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
aiwlian
posted by [Old Forum aiwlian] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
I've updated some of your posts so they work w/ our crawler. For anyone reading this---ONLY post your new username on dukgo.com. No other text should be present in your post (no signatures or other text).

-Zac

DuckDuckGo

**Check out the upcoming forum at: https://dukgo.com/forum
posted by zac Staff4 years and 10 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 9 months ago
crazedpsyc
The process is already done. Welcome to the new forums.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 9 months ago Link