Gmail alternatives?

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 6 years and 4 months ago
Hey there...I have been slowly phasing away from using Google which has been an interesting process. Now I'd like to attempt to exit gmail. But I don't want to simply switch to hotmail, yahoo or some other big player as I see nothing gained.

The main issue I have been having in various alternatives is being able to check my email from multiple computers via a browser. For example, I can use Sparrow mail on my Mac and check my non gmail email (like xyz@personalurl.com) via IMAP. That works just fine on 1 machine. However, I dont always have my laptop with me and want to check my email from random computers. Yes, I can use the email interface provided by my hosting company, but they are all soooooo clunky and crappy.

So in summary, the reason I have not been able to exit gmail is because I cant find a good alternative to keep emails all synced and easily manageable across several machines.

Would anyone have any good suggestions?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I should have added that my main overall goal is to simply separate my searches from my email. Although I use DDG alot, I still use Google to search too. I "trust" Google, Bing, etc enough right now, but I simply don't trust the future. I'd rather take a little preemptive action now to protect myself for the future.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
yegg
I've been using Zoho -- you can still use Sparrow and they will push it to your phone. Additionally, calendar, docs and contacts also work.
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I've been using Fastmail (http://www.fastmail.fm) for years and I'm very happy with it. A lot of features, realiable, IMAP/webmail...

Arjen.
anonymous
The url is rendered incorrectly in my post above.

anonymous
fastmail is the worst. too many issues.i wouldn't put my money in.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
What kind of issues? I've been with them for almost a year and have had no issues at all (maybe their spam filter is not as good as Google's).

The webmail is rock solid and works well on both desktops and mobile phones. For the price, I'm very happy with the service. It isn't free as Gmail, but getting something that good and ad-free for free seems unreasonable.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I have recently stumled across

http://mail.yandex.com/

Which sems as an intersent alternativ to Gmail, espcialy after gmails new look.
posted by [Old Forum thomasxz] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
keep an eye on My Opera Mail:

https://mail.opera.com/

it's still beta but looks good so far.
anonymous
Just opened an email account in Opera Mail looks quite promising
posted by [Old Forum george-bot] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
anonymous
I've been using Zoho for a while now and it's really good, with a simple and functional interface. You should definitely look into it.

Best alternative in my opinion!

posted by [Old Forum babarv] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I found DuckDuckGo in this article, and there are some suggestions in this article....
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/technology/personaltech/how-to-muddy-your-tracks-on-the-internet.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general
anonymous
www.hushmail.com

posted by [Old Forum somerandomjohndoe] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
msyano
+1 For those concerned about Privacy, hushmail seems to be one of the best or possibly even the best.

Let Me DuckDuckGo That For You - http://lmddgtfy.net
Source - https://github.com/myano/lmddgtfy
posted by msyano 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
NO, please don't recommend Hushmail:

Hushmail Passing PGP Keys to the US Government
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 13 days ago Link
anonymous
NO, please don't recommend Hushmail:

Hushmail Passing PGP Keys to the US Government
anonymous
I'm using www.lavabit.com
anonymous
Fastmail.fm is actually owned by Opera (purchased in 2010 I think).

Not sure how this plays with the Opera Mail they have launched.
anonymous
I think that fastmail will eventually be integrated into opera mail. Don't really know if that's true but I saw that floating around the nets a bit ago. Regardless, this whole issue of them having two email services for so long is a bit odd.
anonymous
Try Yandex.Mail (http://mail.yandex.com): 

- 10 gigabytes storage space (and grows if you require more). 
- Fantastic interface. 
- Can automatically import your current Gmail (or other) mail via their "importer" function. 
- Has *human* support in case you need assistance (which I received when my importer took a long time).
- Very good search capabilities (these guys were doing search when the Google guys were still in high school).
- Has folders, labels, different sort mechanisms.
- Support HTTPS.
- They do not hook you up to any social network (unless you really want to!) or harass you about it constantly.
- They'll never delete your account if you do not login.

I've recently converted and I've been preaching it ever since, I have no idea why they are not immensely popular, they're located in Russia, though personally I see that as an advantage. They're a public company listed in NASDAQ and they have over 60% of the Russian market - they're going to disappear anytime soon.

Check them out, so far, that's the best Gmail alternative I've found.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
*Not* going to disappear anytime soon, that is!
anonymous
Yandex is Russia-based and provides information to Russian authorities.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
+1 for lavabit.com
posted by [Old Forum xinjeisan] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
gmx.com seems to be good as well, plus you get 2GB (webdav) storage.

As for fastmail, yes it is good but basic (free) no pop3, smtp have not gotten imap to work. And as a paying customer on the ad-free level they really could do better for file storage quota, plus if you don't live in aussie land your bank will charge you an intl. fee for whatever pay plan you choose. I'm in the process of switching to gmx myself, used fastmail/airpost for 4-5 yrs. Let's hope facebook does not buy opera because fastmail is apart of the opera family. I was hoping opera would make fastmail more attractive by allowing more storage and free pop3/smtp but they have yet to do anything other then stick a logo on the site.

Yandex mail never knew about but in general yandex search results are impressive. It seems the russkies have got some great talent: juick.com vk.com
anonymous
Also recommend: shortmail.com
Qqwy
I've been using GMX for multiple years, and have never had a problem with it.

They support IMAP, and are very pro-security and pro-anonymity.
posted by Qqwy 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Personally, I prefer a mailprovider in Germany for their privacy-friendly constitution and laws.

One of the features I want is syncing of contacts and calendar information (through SyncML, CalDAV or perhaps Exchange/MAPI) with my desktop and mobile devices. Google has plenty interfaces for that. Open source webmail/groupware applications Horde and Zimbra seem to have this functionality, but what cheap mailproviders would provide it?
posted by [Old Forum djoris] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
+1 for gmx. I changed to it from gmail a few months back. The online interface is kind of buggy, especially with opera. But i use it with imap most of the time.
anonymous
You say you have your own website, right?

Do your webhost offer a one-click-installer in your cpanel, if you have one?

Try install some of the "webmail"-apps from that installer, it may be useful

Btw, you should try Thunderbird from Mozilla, the creators of Firefox.

I know it's not a solution if you're checking your mail on random computers, but it's a really good application for checking your mail at home. It has many nice features.
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I strongly recommend you to try gmx.com. Also this article may be useful https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers
posted by [Old Forum schuldiner23] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Try to contact the ISP,
Most Internet providers have mail services with support and there is no reason to choose a free web mail
posted by [Old Forum menashe-avramov] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
And what happens if you change ISPs?  Bye-bye email.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 20 days ago Link
anonymous
I've been using Opera Mail (mail.opera.com) instead of GMail for more than a year now and I'm very happy with my choice :)
anonymous
I personally dislike Opera Mail to my last penny. Opera Mail, yes, is nice due to the browser OPERA, however, the storage is really small. Im sticking with Yahoo! Mail. unlimited storage.( Yes, no pay, and unlimited storage.) Many features. And you can further your email service to the last bit for only about $10 a month.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 12 days ago Link
anonymous
It appears that Yahoo! Mail does track your actions quite a bit (you can read their privacy policy). But then again, nobody tracks as much as Google does. 

Some Gmail alternatives are listed here...

--
Dumb Search warns you for tracking websites
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 5 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
As a host GMX has a foul reputation. The email is full of strange things - you get logged out even though you ask to stay in, they inexplicably cannot send to certain addresses. It does though allow you to set up alias addresses. so you can then avoid the wretched dotcom, if you don't want to appear to live in the USA
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I have stopped using Google completley. I still use their e-mail due to it being my only e-mail, I need a time period to notify everyone with who I have conversation via google that I am changing e-mail address.

My reason for changing is that I no longer trust ANY of the google apps for my computer. Since having used chrome, I have had nothing but junk in my e-mail box, so much for their privacy policy.

Taking into account the latest scandel's to hit the internet in recent weeks involving most of the main so called safe companies that are on line for use to use, I feel that i am better off using one that is reliable, and that can be trusted.

I only use Duckduckgo for searches, this is slower than chrome in many ways, however you do not get any spam in your e-mail box, nor do you get a barrage of annoying advertisements as you can get from the likes of google.

My Computer speed is better without chrome than with it.

As far as I am concerned BYE BYE GOOGLE. YOU ARE F....ING CRAP!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
www.startpage.com which is "the worlds most private search engine" is coming out soon with "startmail". 

I have been happy with startpage as my search engine and wanted to check out DDG at the suggestion of my Dad.  Happy Father's day DAD!!! 

Startpage is based out of the Netherlands.  I can't find out so far where DDG is based out of in this world.  Anyone know?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
We're based in Paoli, PA (U.S.): http://www.crunchbase.com/company/duck-duck-go
Servers and employees are spread around the world.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I too moved away from gmail couple of years ago and have since been using Thexyz which also allow calendar sync and instant push email email on iOS and android. 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago
anonymous
I strongly recommend Countermail.com. I use it all the time. It will cost you. But it will be worth it!
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 2 months ago Link
Jlg
I personally use Riseup.net with Thunderbird & Enigmail to simplify things a bit for myself.

Protonmail.ch is definitely worth a look but the only way to get an account currently is to pay for one via their Indiegogo crowdfunding page.

--jlg
posted by Jlg Community Leader4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
During a recent internship in a software company I've discovered a new open source project,called Vteddy,is written in php. It has many functionalities such as support for spam and is also multi imap. I suggest you to try it . You can download it at http://www.vteddy.com/
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago Link
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 10 months ago