UK version?

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 4 months ago
Any chance of getting a duckduckgo.co.uk so that all search results aren't america-centric? I love the site, but always end up back at Google whenever I search for shopping.

Cheers.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
You can change the region in the settings, or use "r:uk" in any query to temporarily alter it.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
True, you can change the settings UK , but... it still very american focused. Why not offer a method excluding non Uk sites, perhaps like google's post search option of choosing UK sites only. I too leave duckduck for google because of this issue.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 4 months ago Link
zac
if you specific site:uk in the search, then the results will be limited to .uk domains. Works for other country codes too.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
restricting to .uk only gets you so far - a lot of UK-focussed site are suffixed com/eu/org/net and whatever else
anonymous
The American version is in English. So what's the difference?
x.15a2
The OP is asking for UK specific search results and is not referring to English language differences such as lexicon and syntax differences.

x-15a2
Forum
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
It's not the language that's the problem, it's the fact that almost all the links are from the US and we may want it from a local town/country! I also sadly have to resort to the Google search engine to get a UK search, and I hate Google!!
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
msyano
I imagine setting your region to the United Kingdom would help in this, you can set this in the settings or load this specific URL for DuckDuckGo: https://duckduckgo.com/?kl=uk-en

Let Me DuckDuckGo That For You
posted by msyano 5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I tried your link but STILL got US and some other country's websites, but not UK ones!
crazedpsyc
Specific examples help. The region feature is specifically designed to boost regional results though, not filter everything else out. For the most part, the region feature comes from upstream sources, so there's not very much we can do, but we can certainly take a look.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I would like to ask if there is any way to limit results to Europe thereby eliminating USA.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for asking the question that I also wanted to ask :)
TopHattedCoder
Some good news if you use Amazon for online shopping is that you can search 'buy something' on DuckDuckGo and get UK results back if you're in the UK!
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader4 years and 7 months ago Link