Help us find false positives in our instant answers

zac Staff zac
Created: 5 years and 6 months ago
We need some community help in tightening up our instant answers. The things we'd like to identify are queries that show:

1. False positive instant answers (when we show an instant answer but we shouldn't)
2. Adult content shown in instant answers (showing adult content in any instant answer should be reported)
3. Triggers that should work but don't (E.g. if, "weather 90210" didn't show a weather instant answer)

To get started, you can find all the instant answers here: https://duckduckgo.com/goodies

Please let us know where you can find room for improvement in the areas mentioned above.

Thanks all!

-Zac

DuckDuckGo

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
BTC: show the current value of bitcoin should definitely be added!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
There was one in the works and I'm checking on what happened to that now: https://github.com/duckduckgo/zeroclickinfo-spice/pull/135

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I searched for a local high school, the correct Wikipedia article comes up in the instant box. The yelp instant answer shows an address for a different high school.  The schools don't have similar names. Where should I report this/how should I fix this?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
Thanks!

Please send the queries to inbound@duckduckgo.com and we'll take a look from there. Would appreciate if you could use an email that you check, just in case we have any questions or can't replicate.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I just found that the Is It Up goodie is broken, when you check the availability of an IP address instead of a domain name.

For example, when searching for "is 46.51.197.89 up ", DDG thinks it's the URL http:// 46. 51. 197 .89 . com/.

Edit: Undoing that the forum automatically turned the URL into an active link to that domain.

Casper Qvortrup
Forum Moderator
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
x.15a2
Please send the queries to inbound@duckduckgo.com and we'll take a look from there. Would appreciate if you could use an email that you check, just in case we have any questions or can't replicate.

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 6 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
No need x.15a2, this is an open source one -- taking a look :)

(edit) And, fixed in the repo. This will go out with the next spice release.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Great! Thanks bizarre. : )

I've found some other bug that also seems to be DuckDuckHack-based.

I'll report them tomorrow. Time zone you know. ; P

Casper Qvortrup
Forum Moderator
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Just found that the youtube trigger isn't working. 

posted by [Old Forum bibhas-c-debnath] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
Thanks, Bibhas. I'm able to see youtube videos there so this may be impacting only certain regions. Which country are you located in?

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
FYI, I was searching for Adobe Illustrator images for a class project (trying to learn Flash) and I searched simply "ai". I didn't even read what the link was, just saw "ai" and assumed (I should've taken the time to look, I know) it stood for the extension ".ai". Not on this site. I opened an "adult content" image. I have Safe Search On. This is the second time what I thought was a harmless search wasn't. :( I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct forum. Please if there's something I need to know, let me know.
posted by <hidden> • 5 years and 9 days ago Link
MildMallard
posted by MildMallard 5 years and 8 days ago Link