How to make DDG the preferred Provider on the main search line in Opera?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 3 years and 1 month ago
Instead of having to click on DDG icon, in Speed Dial, and then enter my search terms, I'd like DDG to replace G**gle's spot on the main search line.
Anybody?
Attached Files: 1
thisis.jpg - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
The page that you are showing is the Opera SpeedDial page, which seems to be hard coded to include !G. I've not found a way to remove !G from that page, maybe another community member can help.

You can still set DDG as Opera's default search engine: On Opera's settings page, go to the Search section click on the dropdown box and select DuckDuckGo. This won't change the Speed Dial page, but you can select a different home page if you like.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 1 month ago Link
balacobaco
Which version of Opera are you using?

I use an old version of Opera (11 and 12), that is before it moved all its core to chromium (and wrecked many good details it had for several years). IMHO, Opera is only good until version 12 - and very very good. :)

Have you heard about Vivaldi browser??? Maybe you'll like it much more than Opera, today. :)

Right now it is a beta version, but don't worry about it. It is very very good in everything it has done as improvement to the core it uses, and much more to come when it reaches the first end user version.

https://vivaldi.com/
posted by balacobaco 3 years and 1 month ago Link
buckeye
the op is clearly using a current version of opera and that is what the op wants to use or he\she would have asked for a recommendation for a different browser

i know that you are all excited about vivaldi but it is just another browser that uses the blink web engine, just like chrome and current versions of opera - so it really make no difference
posted by buckeye 3 years and 1 month ago Link
balacobaco
It does make much difference because Vivaldi was started to bring Opera users lost (many many things) when it changed to use blink. So, it really isn't the same.

As it is MUCH MUCH different when anyone uses Chromium instead of Chrome.

But we'll only now the differences if we read a bit more carefully or accept the opinions that differ from the "usual" or from the voices of some big parts...
buckeye
opera=blink
vivaldi=blink
no difference

op wants to know about using ddg with opera and didn't ask about opinions of other similar browsers
posted by buckeye 3 years and 1 month ago Link
balacobaco
This does not hinders me or anyone to saying it. I asked about which version he was using, and made my comment in a separate paragraph. This clearly shows it is a comment like anything we say in natural conversations, in polite and graceful chats.

If you prefer not to do it, fine, I respect your opinion. I prefer to have choices. And I see no problem with my post above. Please respect it too, and any other member post that eventually says anything with similar characteristics.