how can i delete duckduckgo from firefox?

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 4 years and 10 months ago
How do I delete DDG from Firefox 19.0?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Can you give a little more detail? Did you install the DuckDuckGo browser addon?

If so, you can remove it by typing:      about:addons    into the Firefox address bar. From there, you can remove it.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
You should have answered the question. I have removed it from extensions, from add-ons and it keeps coming back in my address bar when searching. I have be trying to remove this program for over a week. deleting this from the about addons does not work.
What are you up to DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Guest, have you tried what Zac said about removing search from the URL bar?

posted by [Old Forum mithrandir] • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
1. typed "about:addons" in address bar
2. went to "extensions"
3. found DDGo for Firefox 0.2.16
4. selected "disable"

Too easy.  Thanks for your prompt response!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
No worries--thanks for the followup! 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi
I am usinf firefox 20.
I downloaded DuckDuckGo and now cannot get rid of it.  It appears on the address bar but if I go to extensions it is not listed.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 8 months ago Link
zac
Please do the following:

1. Open about:config in Firefox
  2. Search for keyword.url from the filter box.
  3. Double click on that part. It will open a dialog where you can edit the ‘keyword.url’ string.
  4. Change the address to whatever you want it to be. If it's still set to DuckDuckGo, please let us know.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I double clicked on keyword.URL and it just came up with a dialogue box called Enter String Value.
It displays the message:     ? keyword.url
And there is an empty 'box' to key text into.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
You are in the right place, just replace the value in the edit field (probably https://duckduckgo.com/?q=) with either the search engine parameter you want, or nothing at all. If the field is empty when you open the "Enter String Value" dialog opens, we'll need more details as to exactly when\where DDG is coming up for you.

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I have the problem that DDG appears every time I open a new tab. I haven't set DDG as my home page and I have deactivated the extension (I only re-installed it to be able to deactivate it).

The keyword.url in about:config was empty, now I changed it to www.google.com but DDG still appears in every new tab.
(Still less annoying than incredibar, though...)

I tried both methods suggested above, but to no avail. Any more ideas what I could do?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I have the same problem. "The keyword.url in about:config was empty, now I changed it to www.google.com but DDG still appears in every new tab."

Is there a fix appart from re-installing Firefox?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 4 months ago Link
mikeonly
I have the same problems trying to remove Duckduckgo from Firefox34.05.

Duckduck is not shown in extensions or addons or the control panel. I did find it in "about:config" under "browser hidden oneoffs" with the value "I have the same problems trying to remove Duckduckgo from Firefox34.05.

Duckduck is not shown in extension or addos or the control panel. I did find it in "about:config" under browser hidden oneoffs with the vale "Firefox Add-ons,DuckDuckGo"
No matter what values I put in there it still comes back "Firefox Add-ons,DuckDuckGo" and Duckduckgo go is still my only search option. The Firefoc default search option change feature is locked on Duckduckgo so I can't change back to Google. I have uninstalled Firefox and download a new version and Duckduck is still locked in. How do I remove Duckduck?
posted by mikeonly 3 years and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 4 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago