Numbers are not searchable from Firefox's address bar

[Old Forum shashank16392] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 1 month ago
Hi!

I have installed DuckDuckGo toolbar for Firefox 5 days ago and am able to search for anything right from the address bar. Today I found that numbers are not searchable that way. Nothing happens at all when I enter numbers and press 'Enter' key.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Which operating system are you using (Mac OSX 10.7.5, Windows 7, etc)? I'm not able to reproduce on my Mac but would like to find a solution.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I'm using Windows 7 and I'm having the same issue. Every number i search for automatically redirects to a website for that number (like www.100.com for "100").
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
Sorry, I had misunderstood the original poster. This doesn't involve the DDG addon. Instead. it's a fault of Firefox.
You can verify by trying the same thing without the DDG addon and it will do the same thing.
Please let us know otherwise!
posted by zac Staff4 years and 6 months ago Link
ScreapDK
I am using Windows 7, and Firefox v28.0, and can reproduce, too!

Although if type, a number (e.g. 12345678) into the URL bar and hit enter, and end up a http://12345678/ (aka. "12345678" being a "dot-less domain").
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader4 years and 6 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
That's just Firefox being dumb about what is or is not an address. Can you confirm it does the same thing without DDG involved?
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 6 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Yes, as Zac just stated above it is just a error of Firefox.

I just wanted to let you know it is doing it without any DDG involvement (i.e. I don't have the DDG add-on installed)! I just forgot to mention that part, silly as I am! : P
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader4 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
:)
posted by zac Staff4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Ubuntu 13.04
posted by [Old Forum shashank16392] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Me too on FF 23 on Windows 7. I think it's because the browser thinks you are going to type a real web address, eg. 192.168.xxx.xxx
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link