DuckDuckGo email client

[Old Forum the-fake-yegg] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 5 months ago
I know this topic has been talked about billions of times, but I want it so bad!
It's just so much in demand, people would love it!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
its gonna come evantually.....
posted by [Old Forum zeitgeistt] • 7 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
if you want to pay for it, use Hushmail.com, they offer a very good service. Otherwise, Yandex.Mail is a great alternative - Yandex is a Russian company, NSA sure as hell won't be tracking you there :)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
If you want to pay for it, have your own DNS, provider and mail server outside of the US (although frankly, I'm not sure having your stuff in Russia is secure!)
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago
anonymous
Using PGP will provide you with the best email security, as long as you can trust your recipient.  Currently we need a service provider that stores all received mail on encrypted servers.  That would be the ultimate goal.  Saving every gmail you ever wrote on their servers unencrypted will not be the best option for security.  Zoho is currently not on the PRISM list, but they do not encrypt your mail.  The only true safe option at the moment is to host your own server or buy a VPS.  Kim Dotcom plans to launch a free encrypted email service later this year.  For now, all we can do to protest is to convince people to use PGP.
anonymous
As a long time DDG user, I'd happily pay for DDG email. 

I would think with this latest NSA debacle, the time to get this done is now. Please...
posted by [Old Forum wirelessduck] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
Thanks! It's not something we're planning short-term but great to know we've got so much support.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 5 months ago Link
balaenoptera
all secrecy and .gov's spying out each one's little hearts aside - I for one feel what's needed is a commonly safe and anonymous email client and service. something akin to the old postal service. not more.
yes, if your name starts with kissing and ends with er, or merk ending on el, then you'll need a whole other sort of bullet proof jacket.
I, and I believe most happy users of ddG here, just want to send home the grocery list and find out when and where who of one's friends said what about 2 years ago and be able to search for it -- without, and that's the important part - seeing, hearing, feeling, and noticing some commercial entity taking advantage of my person and the details around it. any higher expectation of security belongs to the shadow realm of our circle of human cohabitants. or as my statistics professor would have called it: the statistic outlier on the bell curve of the human race. I'm more in the middle of the curve...
and yes, it is worth a little money to stay out of big G's radar screen.
peace and joy to y'all
m
posted by balaenoptera 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
here hear!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Storing email on encrypted servers (drives, volumes, etc.) does not mean that your email is secure.  It will very likely be traveling in plain text from server to server and you won't be able to control that (unless you only send email to internal contacts).

All encryption is breakable given enough time and resources.

It is entirely possible to run your own mail server with encrypted volumes, and it can be done on a Windows box using only free software (and a domain which costs about a dozen bucks a year):

Domain: Any registrar
Free DNS: Hurricane Electric
Free SSL certificate: StartSSL
Free encryption: Truecrypt

Free SMTP/IMAP/POP mail server: hMailServer
Free database: MySQL
Free spam detection: Jam SpamAssassin
Free antivirus: ClamWin

Need webmail with that?  Try Roundcube on Apache with PHP (all free).

Don't like Windows?  Linux can run most of those applications, you just need to find a way to replace hMailServer with an MTA and something like Dovecot to do your IMAP.  Want to run OSX?  Sorry, ya lost me.

Even with all that effort, as soon as an email leaves your server for delivery it is out of your control.

As stated by Guest three days ago, PGP is a better endpoint solution... but requires that all recipients and senders use the same application.  The typical issue, is that most people refuse to learn how to use PGP (or use an email client that integrates its features).

My three cents,
S.
anonymous
With home-hosted mail servers, there is the added complication of most ISPs blocking outgoing port 25.  Some ISP's allow you to send out on another port to their own port 25 relay but some don't. You'd have to find a third party that offers that service.  (Outgoing has to use port 25 or other servers won't accept your mail).  By the time you start adding those smtp relays, the whole purpose of privacy is shot.  If I wanted my ISP to see my email, I'd not have bothered with my own mail server in the first place.
anonymous
unless DuckGo will host the servers in... Nederlands, Hong Kong, Finland, etc and be encrypted with PGP i doubt your mail will have any real privacy. The gov can easily force anyone's hand.
posted by [Old Forum aiwlian] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Forget netherlands. I guess Germany and Switzerland are much better options.
posted by [Old Forum porsiemprelinux] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
We really need a DuckGo Mail, and maybe, more another DuckGo Services.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
x.15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 3 months ago Link
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago
posted by <hidden> • 5 years and 6 months ago
anonymous
yes we need email privacy.  would pay for it if necessary

anonymous
Why you barking gmails? Clean your mouth.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago