keyword.url parameter removed from Firefox 23 (Fix inside)

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 4 years and 11 months ago
Well Mozilla chose to do a silly thing imho. From FF 23 they removed keyword.url from about:config. Now if anybody used some DuckDuckGo parameters on the search url, they're not there anymore because FF reads only the official DDG plugin that has no params.
Possible solutions for the moment:
- using a third party plugin
- re-enable keyword.url installing this addon
- edit manually the official DDG plugin

Personally I used the last method, but it may be not easy for everybody. If you're on linux the official DDG addon is stored in /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/*language-here*
Edit all the languages just to be sure.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Does this apply only to the linux version? I still have keyword.URL in about:config in FF 23 for Windows.

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
It's not used anyway, you can test it by adding params.
It's removed in all versions, It remains there only if you used it previously. So once you delete it, keyword.url won't appear anymore.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
Well, FF did this as their attempt to stop search hijacking. You can read the Bug Report from Bugzilla here.

Reading the bug title is interesting, "consolidate Firefox search preferences". What they've done is to make the address bar search default to the FF search bar default search.

The add-on that Guest provide the link to (above) works great. If you'd rather not install the add-on, here's a (rather limited) work-around for those that don't like to use FF's built-in search bar: Open the search bar, , make DDG the default search, then close down the search bar. Now searches from the address bar will search DDG.

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Startpage.com offers a very elegant solution to the parameter setting problem. If you change settings here and generate the custom url it also offers a handy one-click button to set this url as a custom search plugin. If this search engine is set as the default, then you can search using the same settings in the address bar.

I hope DuckDuckGo could implement this as well, then nobody would have to install addons or manually edit xml-files.

P.S. I had to start Firefox in safe mode (all addons disabled) just to be able to post this comment. I read a new, not zoho-dependent forum is in the works though.
You're all doing great work here! Go DuckDuckGo!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
x.15a2

P.S. I had to start Firefox in safe mode (all addons disabled) just to be able to post this comment. I read a new, not zoho-dependent forum is in the works though.
Actually, your post was submitted 3 times (I removed the duplicates, kept this one with the above comment). Guest posts are moderated before being submitted to the forums.

Thanks for you post!

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 10 months ago Link