How can I delete DuckDuckGo from Chrome?

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 8 months ago
Hi,

I want to delete DDG from Chrome, how do I do this? I can't seem to find the extension anywhere?

Thanks

P

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
If you have the extension, you can find it in chrome://extensions -- if not, you may have just added the search engine, not the extension. Go into Settings > Settings, and set something else as the default search engine.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok. It's not listed in extensions, and the homepage is already set to something else, but i still get DDG. This is what was confusing me, as I had already done those 2 things.....mmmmm!!

Cheers

P
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
zac
The homepage and the default search-engine are different. Have you checked under Settings--->Search -->Manage Search Engines ? 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes. The search engine is set to google. DDG is not listed anywhere, neither is the extension? For example, when i first start Chrome, DDG comes up. When i click the home icon, i get google? I want to REMOVE DDG!

Thanks

P
x.15a2
You said, "when i first start Chrome, DDG comes up". Do this:

Settings
   On startup
      Open a specific page or set of pages. 
       Highlight the DuckDuckGo startup page and click the x next to it

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 8 months ago Link
zac
It's difficult to point you in the right direction without knowing how DDG was installed to begin with. Did you install the extension? Did you manually change your search-engine?

-Zac

anonymous
x.15a2. Thanks!! Yes!! Done it!! Thanks very much sir.
zac
Thanks for the followup! 

-Zac

anonymous
Absolutely FUBARed my Mac. Thank you for the concept. FU for the product.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 4 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Could you give more detail? It's impossible to fix anything without knowing what the problem was.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Not a reply but addition: how can remove DuckDuckGo extension from my Mac. It seemed to install itself. Using Firefox.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
zac
There was an update to the DuckDuckGo Plus extension today. After updating, it should have opened a new tab in Firefox to thank you for the update, etc but, in error, it showed, "Thank you for installing."
We're very extreme against unwanted installations/downloads so it's not possible for it to have installed itself. More likely, you had it installed and the error today made it seem that it was installing again. Apologies for the frustration/confusion.

There are uninstall instructions here too: http://help.dukgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216440-chrome

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 2 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I have the same problem .I have done all the steps.Still, this program pops open in my browser for chrome.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Hi, here is a post that can show you how to delete unwanted homepage and search engine from browser.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 2 months ago Link