Statistics Question

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 8 days ago • Updated: 3 years and 8 days ago
If DuckDuckGo.com does neither track users nor collect data about/from them, how is it possible for websites like alexa.com to be able to tell that DuckDuckGo.com is used by more or less males or females, more or less college graduates, more or less people browsing from home, school or work ?
Attached Files: 1
whovisits.PNG - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

MyUser
Alexa.com uses browser addons, among other things, to determine this info. As I understand, people will install Alexa's addon which then collects info on what sites they visit.

From Alexa's Wikipedia page:
> Its toolbar collects data on browsing behaviour and transmits them to the Alexa website, where they are stored and analyzed, forming the basis for the company's web traffic reporting.

I would expect most other companies that offer similar info about DDG use the same or similar techniques.

The most statistics I've ever seen from DDG is their traffic page at duckduckgo.com/traffic.html. It's going up!

Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 3 years and 8 days ago Link