Kudos on "Send feedback"

MyUser MyUser
Created: 2 years and 9 months ago
After the open letter I sent to DuckDuckGo, I started casting around for other things that I could pull together to make another, longer one. The first thing that came up was how hard it was to send feedback about DuckDuckGo. You have to either go to the forums or open the side bar and look for the feedback link.

Actually, I should say "had." DuckDuckGo's added a "Send Feedback" button to the bottom right of every search page and I'm feeling jubilant. It makes it easy to send feedback on the search results without having to fill out a complicated form and is something that Google (though having it here and there) hasn't fully implemented. In other words, it's awesome!

My only suggestion would be that it should be a bit bigger or bolder. However, it looks awesome as it is and this is mostly just so it catches more people's attention (good looks vs. UX).

Anyway, I love that DDG is thinking the same way! I just only feel bad that I couldn't take credit for it.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
MyUser

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Weel done !
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link
tagawa
Thanks for noticing! We've just written a blog post about it: https://duck.co/blog/post/228/feedback-b...
and are starting to receive feedback already which is great. I'll point the devs to your comment about bigger and bolder as well.
posted by tagawa Staff2 years and 9 months ago Link
matachi
It sucks that the button disappears on mobile though, see http://imgur.com/a/NMYkk. I would like to contribute some feedback while doing searches on my phone, but that's apparently not possible. That was also the case the last time DuckDuckGo had a feedback button on the search results page; it neither was visible on mobile for some reason.
posted by matachi 2 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
Well, it's unfortunate, but it's a real estate issue, the button would become frustrating by covering results text. My 7" android tablet displays the button, but my 5" phone does not (using the same browser).

I've verified this on my desktop browser by narrowing the window to around 900 pixels or so and the button goes away.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 9 months ago Link
matachi
Yeah, it's responsive design, and when the page's width becomes too narrow the button simply disappears, as shown in the two screenshots I took.

However, I would say that it's a web design issue and not a real estate issue. Let me quote one article on the subject:

A bigger screen doesn’t mean that the user suddenly wants a cramped layout which is difficult to scan, nor does a smaller screen mean that the user would never request any kind of information that they’ve seen on the site before. Therefore, show the same content, but “package” it differently so that it is optimized for the screen it is being displayed on.

Source: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/08/...

I'm not a web designer myself, but a suggestion is to put the feedback button in the hamburger menu when on mobile. My point though, is that it's irritating that a worse version of DuckDuckGo is served on mobile with fewer features (i.e. without the feedback button in this case). I understand that there's obviously less real estate to work with on a phone, but I'm sure a web designer would be able to work it out.
buckeye
proof once again that no good deed goes unpunished
posted by buckeye 2 years and 9 months ago Link
matachi
Hehe, if I didn't care about DuckDuckGo I wouldn't have taken my time to write my comment here. See it as some sort of complaint of love.
x.15a2
I'll pass your concerns along to the devs, thanks for the input.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 9 months ago Link
caine
I appreciate your point of view!

UI wise, you're both right, it's a real-estate issue. We considered adding it to the hamburger menu on mobile. It's not hard (we do it for the app link for example). The hard part is in the process of submitting feedback itself.

The only concrete feedback we've garnered from the feedback box to date is that we need to improve the feedback box / process :). We're going to focus on that first.

Until then, a good way to get us feedback is via https://duckduckgo.com/feedback.

Thank you for considering this stuff. It's important!
posted by caine Staff2 years and 9 months ago Link
matachi
What I like about the feedback button on the search results page is that I'm able to give feedback on the quality of the results.

I remember that the previous feedback button was more explicitly for giving feedback on the results' quality, while this iteration appears to be slightly more general.

What I would like is just a simple button for reporting poor results, and a field where I can tell what I did expect to find. (However, I don't know if such submissions are useful for you.) Since I'm also doing searches on my phone, I would like to be able to give feedback there too whenever I have some seconds to spare.
MyUser
Just noticed that the feedback button does not go overtop IAs (eg. images). This could be a bit of a problem when you have an IA expanded and see something that you want to send feedback about but can't find the button.
posted by MyUser 2 years and 9 months ago Link