New Color Theme ideas

zac Staff zac
Created: 6 years and 6 months ago
We're interested in adding a few more pre-loaded themes to the Settings panel. Currently, we have a Dark theme ( Settings  -->Color tab -->Color theme) but we're curious to know which themes our Duck.co community would like to see as options. 

Please use this thread to submit the URL parameters for your custom theme : ) 

**URL parameters can be found in the Settings menu under, "Bookmarklets and settings data."

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

dashesy
Wow, cool I did not now about the dark colour theme before
posted by dashesy 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
How about a seasonal feel? Winter (blues), Spring (greens), Summer (yellow/red/orange), Autumn (beige/sand). 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Nah. I've worked in advertising and I know the importance of branding. The website needs a consistent house style that sets it apart from competitors and more importantly, is recognisable to potential customers.

Apple, for instance has a consistent house style across all its products and works carefully so this effect is achieved. It uses the same font in all its logos and ads, shades of grey everywhere and a recognisable style for its hardware products. The iMac became black at the back and sharpish around the edges so to match the iPhone design. Apple's peripherals, such as the keyboard, have been adapted to this design.

It is very important to find a visually appealing house style and stick with it. I am very fond of the red banner, which is much better than the old green one. Don't change it. If you will, make the adjustments obvious and adjust other websites in the DDG sphere (DuckDuckHack, this forum, the help centre et al) to match it. That's my advice to Mr Weinberg.
posted by [Old Forum evropi] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
That last comment was me... forgot to sign in!
posted by [Old Forum azahartech] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by [Old Forum charles.l] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I like the direction of steel. The text is too light, though.
anonymous
And the seasonal idea is also really awesome.    
anonymous
anonymous
Really cool start. But lacks polish. Reminds me of GTK's high contrast theme :)
anonymous
I'm liking the dark themes. :-) But I find the default color of the bar on the bottom a bit jarring (It's very bright, high contrast in comparison to the rest of the dark theme.) It's also quite hard to read the light-grey text for me. 
The green search button also pops out a lot :\ I feel like it doesn't blend super well with the dark theme. 

Just my two cents :D
posted by [Old Forum action-potato] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
The scheme on the actual Solarized page would make a good theme : ) If the text were a bit darker it would be easily readable. 
posted by zac Staff6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 24 days ago Link
anonymous
+1 for solarized light
posted by [Old Forum factorsof16] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Custom image upload. (hosted externally of course.) Direct link enabled!!!!
posted by [Old Forum sirrogus] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
dashesy
Overall I really like your current dark theme. Similar to the Background I suggest also adding "Links Background", "Links Border" (a thin border around the rectangle of links), and also to add the ability to fade the region borders instead of a crisp line.
Also taken from how in new mobile phones there is a mode that icons start to wobble and one can move them, I suggest a special mode that in DDG different elements could be colored (maybe with a pallet near them), or moved around, this would be easier for people to select colors for different elements, instead of a possible growing list of names of elements.
sometimes I wish I could grab the 0-click and move it (and dock it) to some other place. I should confess I do not know how hard it is to do something like that.

In any case, good luck
posted by dashesy 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Dark theme works great for me.

Thanks,
Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji
posted by [Old Forum jwalantsoneji] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
I have a really funny theme, its called "fresh and minty", try it out. XD
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
Can you share the URL params for it? 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
I would like to see a theme based upon the userstyle MrMagical was working on. I don't believe he ever did post a final version. Here is the link https://duck.co/topic/duckduckgo-simple-userstyle. If something like that could be created for a theme it would be awesome. I would actually like to see it as the default theme.
Just my two cents worth.
Bee.keeper

Edit: And for the set of colors I like to use can be seen with this link: https://duckduckgo.com/?kj=ct&k7=#DADEDB&kt=e&ko=1&kv=n&k8=g&ky=e&k9=#0265CF&kaa=#713A89&kab=#646464&kx=r.
It is not to dark, but not to light. It's a greyish theme.
posted by [Old Forum bee.keeper] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
DDG is losing new user conversions with current default color scheme

I've written in on the feedback page on this one. The current color scheme and the theme options are hurting new user conversion. There is a reason why bing, Yahoo, Ask and Google share the same color schemes on their SERP. The standardized colors of Blue Title, green link, and dark grey text are standardized. If anything, create a new theme for that purpose.

Shannon
anonymous
I don't think anyone recognises these as standards apart from the blue title (which DDG already has). I, for one, didn't know there's an established standards for links to be green on SERPs.

I think it's mostly fine as it is, though the DDG developers should make trials to see if links don't look out of place in green colour. Dark red for links is a bit too harsh and doesn't go well with the overall layout.
posted by [Old Forum evropi] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
What about an animal theme, that changes each day! Like pictures or drawings or animations of animals etc.
anonymous
What about an animal theme, that changes each day! Like pictures or drawings or animations of animals etc.
anonymous
I've always been a fan of terminal style displays with neon green on black, I think it looks pretty nice-
https://duckduckgo.com/?kc=-1&kp=-1&kk=-1&kf=b&ky=-1&k7=#000000&k8=#00FF00&k9=#0F31BC&kv=1
zac
Sorry, wasn't signed in : I also like the terminal look. Might need to update the URL color but this is very close to something I'd call a finished theme : )

-Zac

dashesy
Just wow! but why "h" key does not work with this theme?
anonymous
"Just wow! but why "h" key does not work with this theme?"

Oh, I turned off keyboard shortcuts because I regularly use the arrow/page/home keys to navigate on my laptop and it's weird when they don't behave the same way on search engine pages that they do on every other page. You can adjust that in settings.
dashesy
I am using the terminal theme for 2 days (with "h" key active) and I am loving it!
anonymous
I was messing around with the colors in settings. I came up with this theme, which I will let you guys decide how cool, strange, horrible, or just scary it is. https://duckduckgo.com/?kj=#FA6E0F&k7=#D1BE10&kt=e&ko=1&kv=n&k8=#000000&ky=#736612&k9=#15297B&kaa=#790D3F&kab=#403F3C&kx=o
posted by [Old Forum bee.keeper] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
I threw the standard SERP color scheme together, it is much more intuitive for a new user than the default:

posted by [Old Forum shannonsofield] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi, I'm new to DDG I like you're Theme what are the color # for each setting, if I my ask?
zac
^^Guest: He posted the URL too: https://duckduckgo.com/?kj=#53565A&ky=#EEEEEE&kx=#388222&k9=#0044CC

You can tweak the look/feel in the Settings menu: https://duckduckgo.com/settings.html  and you can see the resulting URL with your settings by clicking,  "Bookmarklet and Settings data" on the bottom left of that page.

-Zac

zac
Some resources:

http://www.degraeve.com/color-palette/

http://www.colourlovers.com/

-Zac

anonymous
Hi Zac, I like what was used for the color Links , Visited Links  and Url.  I don't know what to change the current colors to the custom colors that Shannonso used. Jeff
zac
Here you go: http://duckduckgo.com/params.html

Also, if you hover over the dropdown boxes in Settings ( https://duckduckgo.com/settings.html ), you should see the corresponding URL code for each one.

-Zac

anonymous
Zac Got it, thank you!  Jeff
anonymous
For what its worth, I have an off-white background (save's my eyes) and a theme based around the intense green.
You only really notice when you display results.

I hate the black themes. They look dreadful and dated.
anonymous
this is my new homepage. Thank you for that theme!
posted by [Old Forum aiwlian] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I like the default, red top and green button. It's great that you can customise it, but it's so time consuming. I might try something else if there were more 'themes'. The Dark theme is no good, it's too hard to read the text.
posted by [Old Forum omegodriver] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
I like mine. I hope I chose the correct link.

posted by [Old Forum radical-bob] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
posted by zac Staff6 years and 4 months ago Link
dashesy
My vote is definitely number 3, it does not waste space and colors are just right., However I would remove kk=-1 because I like the keyboard experience better than mouse
posted by dashesy 6 years and 4 months ago Link
zac
Ahh. Didn't noticed that--thanks, I agree! 

-Zac

posted by zac Staff6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I personally prefer it with a white background - looks fresh and clean. I wonder what it would look like if you made the background to the logo purple instead of red - I think it could work. I also think the search button should stay as green when you search something, not turn blue as it currently does. On the whole though I think it's very good as it is. I also think you should put the 'More' menu on the homepage somewhere.
posted by [Old Forum almdudler] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
The more menu is in the bottom right corner of the homepage.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
hmm, nothing softer yet, so i did this, i do think the blue go button could be muted too, to a chrome finish, but i didn't see an option for that.

https://duckduckgo.com/?k7=#DEBDCD&kj=g2&kx=g&k9=#051D7A&kaa=#600AAB&kab=#ADB0AC
anonymous
A paper theme, it would maybe be more than just a colour scheme, but if it could look like the old yellowish slightly crumpled paper that could be cool. As an option. THe default theme is good as a default though.
anonymous
I really don't care for any of the terminal or black themes.
Though I have a question: maybe it would be neat if the user could change the gradient for the top bar? Like hex to hex?

--
Dumb Search privacy ad-free search engine
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
zac
Terminal theme has been added to settings

^^dumbsearch, noted! ;) 

-Zac

posted by zac Staff6 years and 3 months ago Link
dashesy
Wow thanks :)
posted by dashesy 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
The dark theme looks great except that on the homepage the bottom bar is still white
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
zac
Thanks--investigating! 

-Zac

posted by zac Staff6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 7 months ago Link
x.15a2
I'm a golfer, so I did a golf theme with green for grass, blue for sky and sand highlights.

https://duckduckgo.com/?ks=m&k1=1&kp=-1&k7=#A4BAA3&kab=#066C21&kj=b&k2=1&kx=#1DAC43&kaa=#3A13FF&k8=#055427&ky=t&k9=#0265CF

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I like the dark themes, but you guys need to make the bright white bar at the bottom go dark with the rest of the page.
posted by [Old Forum carl-sawyer] • 5 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I real like both solarized themes. They are very easy on the eyes.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi peeps - here's an option for you:

https://duckduckgo.com/?kj=#FC3A51&k7=#E8D5B9&k8=#0E2430&ky=#FEF9EB&k9=#0265CF&kab=#F5B349&kx=r

I reckon it's more for the ladies, but oh well.

Regards,
DaddyDuck
anonymous
posted by [Old Forum daddyduck] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
Cool---this is similar to the Solarized Light theme posted above. Do you like this one?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=test&kj=%23586E75&kx=%23CB4B16&ky=%23FDF6E3&k7=%23EEE8D5&k8=%23073642&k9=%23268BD2&kaa=%236C71C4&kab=%2393A1A1

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
yah that's not bad [the solarized one]. i think the subtlety is nice and it's less girly. :D
posted by [Old Forum daddyduck] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
This last one is great!

anonymous
Figured I'd add my Titanium Duck theme to the list (sorry just Photoshop version):

posted by [Old Forum big.moe] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Not bad. Do you have the link for it?
crazedpsyc
That one is just a mockup, Guest -- we do not currently support gradients, or moving the logo like that. Could be done with a userstyle though :)
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Sorry, did not research the technical aspects of the theme thing too much, just had an idea in my head and mocked it up. 

Just curious though, when you say you do not support gradients or moving the duck logo around, is that for technical reasons or just company stylistic policy? 

(Have no knowledge of web site design so apologies if that is a dumb question)
posted by [Old Forum big.moe] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
It's just because the in-site settings don't include things like that (yet?). It is technically possible to do.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 5 months ago Link