Investing in DuckDuckGo

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 6 months ago
When is DuckDuckGo going public?  Why aren't VCs investing in it, yet?  You hear about search engines that start and raise huge amounts of funding.  Can DuckDuckGo be the first search engine that doesn't raise venture funding and grow to be a large search engine?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I think DDG should have no funding at all, except perhaps User Donations. (and the small amount of advertising already used)

Funding means that somebody else will have a hand in controlling the engine, and Gabriel's work has been a great step forward in user privacy. VCs could end it all.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Possibly, yet if he gets a VC to believe in the way he's doing something, then it wouldn't end that way.  He wouldn't give up as much of the company.  How much percent did the Cuil founder have to give up to raise it's VC round? I'm pretty sure the VCs do not have all the control. Not saying they are at all good at it, either.  Actually, I think DuckDuckGo is better in some ways.  

All great search engines have received VC or outside funding, Google, Yahoo, Ask, etc.  I'm not saying they wouldn't have succeeded otherwise, they needed to funding to really catapult the success.  A lot of the things that DuckDuckGo could be doing to take on the search giants, they aren't doing.

If they work with investors, they would have to state their mission and vision.  
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 6 months ago Link
yegg
> When is DuckDuckGo going public?  

Haha,  you need like 100M+ regular revenues for that, so I doubt any time soon.

> Why aren't VCs investing in it, yet?  You hear about search engines that start and raise huge amounts of funding.  

Because I've never sought any funding. Yes, many have raised lots of money, but it hasn't gotten them very far. In fact, it may have accelerated their downfall (or perhaps they go hand in hand--not sure). In any case, the reason is there isn't a great way to buy users so the only reason to raise is to buy headcount, and I don't need that at the moment when you weigh it against all the problems with raising money (distraction, loss of control, etc.). 

> Can DuckDuckGo be the first search engine that doesn't raise venture funding and grow to be a large search engine?  

I hope so!
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Interesting how you think there isn't an easy way to buy users, yet you can certainly market to them through advertising and build more features to gain traction.  I'm wondering about loss of control, and how much control other search engine sites lost when they raised funding.  You do raise some good points though.
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Why can't they do a Kickstarter or something.  I want some shares of DuckDuckGo now before it goes public or something.  I love it.  I think its a fantastic idea whose time has come.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Me too!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
There is a reason you cannot easily invest in a private company. Most people simply do not have the skill or experience to even begin to guess whether a small company like DDG is likely to succeed, or even whether a company you are interested in is cooking the books.

Public companies are required to follow a more stringent set of rules by the SEC. They must file regular financial statements with the SEC with a particular format and they are required to follow a more stringent set of rules than private companies (e.g. inside trading, transparency, etc). None of this guarantees that you'll be fine (investing in the market is fundamentally risky and difficult), but it gives the general public a bit more of a fighting chance.

In turn, because of all the SEC requirements, including base capital, small companies are not public. The "small" category for the SEC requires something like $100 M in base capita or something like that.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I certainly want a piece of it too. Solent me know if any of you find out. Tsering_lama@hotmail.com

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I do believe DuckDuckGo is the futur.
And yes, i think that being part of the adventure would be great. So, if there is a way to invest in the project, i'm in !
posted by [Old Forum kwentty] • 5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
If everyone that uses DDG spreads the 'word of mouth' to others, it won't take long before everyone knows about it. It's just a matter of people deciding to make the switch themselves. I don't think throwing bucket loads of money around is going to help the cause. 
posted by [Old Forum omegodriver] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Word of mouth is best, however, good press and advertising are also key.  I hadn't heard of DuckDuckGo until today- I read about it in The Washington Post
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I want to find out how to invest in Duck Duck Go! 
Will they have an IPO  cant find on otc or nasdaq~ 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 8 months ago Link
zac
No investment opportunities but thanks for the support! :)

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
My opinoin:
   Get the money from a business development company (BDC). The two that come to mind are Prospect
Capital(PSEC) and TICC Capital(TICC). Prospect invests in nearly everything. TICC is high tech/IT/computers.
They like to let the VCs take the REAL CHANCE, then jump in when they see the feasibility of the new company.
x.15a2
Gabriel is quite adept at the whole start-up thing and DDG is charting just as he has planned. You can read more about his expertise in this matter at: http://www.gabrielweinberg.com/angel.html

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Hopefully will see DuckDuckGo rise in stature and have more, regular visitors performing search's but can't help but think should DuckDuckGo get to the level where it is starting to make an impact into Google/the search engine market, wouldn't Google attempt to just buy DuckDuckGo out? Also if they did how would the owners handle this?
anonymous
Good grief. 

I am also interested in investing in duck duck go.  It's a rare company that doesn't want money!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
If you really wish to invest in a privacy oriented company..... You can invest in mine))) But we are a startup

See you,
Kirill

Forum Moderator
posted by [Old Forum folklorin] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I think they have investors, but they sadly never gave this opportunity to the normal people who use the service.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
DDG is great!  I just started using it.  Soooo much better than Google and Bing for getting answers quickly and efficiently without a lot of needless advertizements.  DDG is like the wikipedia of search engines.  I hope it succeeds.  Power to the people.
anonymous

I stumbled upon this site by chance. With the recent spying by our government and Google's decision to change their privacy ethics this could really go somewhere. Primarily there is Google and Bing and perhaps a few others. However, many do not trust these other engines and look at them as "beta." The key to getting a good share of the market is to promote trust. Users have to know they can trust duckduckgo to keep its words regarding privacy. Keep it that simple. I am finally startng a serious website and blog. I've been wasting my time in college all these years when the answer has always been on the net. My site is going to concentrate on simalar issues. If I have any success I will do my best to promote duckduckgo so long as it remains true to form. Best of luck.

crazedpsyc
Thanks for the support!

There's a few good reasons for people to trust us in the answers here: http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/12664/why-would-someone-trust-duckduckgo-or-other-providers-with-a-similar-privacy-pol

Basically, a) Our privacy policy is legally binding, and b) Both the company's and all of our personal reputations are on the line if anything were ever to go bad.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Funding of any kind at any level does NOT equal changing the fundamentals of ANY business. Changes which occur in a business are the result of decisions made by those who hold the "power". The idea that
funding (money) = Evil and destruction is a simplistic, Marxist view of economics and has no place here.
If ...., for example, the owner of DDG or any other concept, corporation, invention, discovery, etc.. decides to sell their hard earned interest in same, then those who buy it are entitled to do as they please and they owe you and I nothing! Not to worry however, the "Market Place" will address this situation "naturally" and another DDG will spring up and that DDG will survive where the old DDG failed (are we following this idea together?). That's why there is a DDG here now so that we can even discuss this. Therefore the future of a truly independent DDG type search engine is not and will not be predicated upon money , it will be predicated upon if the primary stock holder sells their control of the endeavor. I for one hope that person/s preserves DDG and it's bright future. I will hope to be able to have a chance to purchase shares in the event of an IPO and .......
I WANT MY DDG T-SHIRT!
Which is more important to me right now than the bloody IPO and it better have the Duck on there in full color!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago Link