DDG email service??

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 7 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 7 months ago
Would be nice to have a email service here. I'm sick of supporting Giants like the nosy google and microsoft. Making billions upon billons a year on the public web surfers.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 7 months ago Link
tagawa
This is an unofficial suggestion but personally I've been very happy using https://www.fastmail.com/ for several years.
posted by tagawa Staff2 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Use fastmail tutanota or protonmail.

fastmail.com
tutanota.com
protonmail.com
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 7 months ago Link
MyUser
If you feel up to the challenge, you could go as far as to create your own email system. In the end, I had to do this because I couldn't find a really good email provider (though some that I found looked promising). Right now, I'm running a Linux (Ubuntu) installation with NGINX and Ajenti V (for Vmail) with RainLoop as the web client. I only suggest it because it's kind of swaggy to have your first name as your email address (eg. john@smith.org). (Also, reallyawesome.org is still available; just saying)

Unfortunately setting up email servers is a pain and difficult to understand. I still don't get a lot of it and every now and then problems that I thought I fixed a month ago reappear. Also, I've often had problems with other people who use Gmail having my emails marked as spam by Google. It's really annoying because it means they don't even know I sent them something and if they don't unmark it, my website's domain becomes more and more recognized as a spam server.

Good luck!
MyUser
posted by MyUser 2 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
" Also, I've often had problems with other people who use Gmail having my emails marked as spam by Google."

This is because, quite rightly, people should be banned from hosting mail servers on their home internet connections. All too often these home "mail servers" are incorrectly configured, left unmatched and become zombies that start spamming the rest of the world.

People should not be encouraged to setup their home "mail servers".

If you know what you are doing, then you can setup an email server at home. But it will require co-operation from your ISP to avoid the problems you've been having .... I'm not going to tell you what needs to be done, because "if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing it".

Sorry for presenting the hard facts. But I'm fedup dealing with reams of spam coming to my mail server from home internet connections that I then need to waste CPU cycles processing and blocking.
anonymous
I have to agree here. Home mail servers usually end up getting hacked into and then used to spam the rest of the world.