How do I remove DDG from my browser?

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 3 years and 3 months ago
How do I remove DDG from my computer?

You must be logged in to comment. Please, Log in or Register.
anonymous
Since this is a somewhat general question, can you please tell me what internet browser you are using and how DuckDuckGo is on your browser at the moment?
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
My guess is Safari, in which case you need to go to extensions to remove it. Safari doesn't make it easy to change the search box, which is why we have that extension. There are more complicated ways to do it, however. For those, check out the bottom of http://duckduckgo.com/tools.html
posted by yegg Admin3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
it is on my google chrome browser. when I click on chrome, the duckduckgosearch engine pops up
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year, 5 months, and 2 days ago Link
anonymous
not sure
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year and 15 days ago Link
anonymous
my tech installed it...i was told that ddg is a good way for the bad boys to screw up yur emale,  which it did
help me uninstall
anonymous
internet explorer
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 11 months and 22 days ago Link
anonymous
internet explorer in windows 7
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 10 months and 2 days ago Link
zac
Sounds like DuckDuckGo is set as your default homepage. You can change this by making any other page your homepage. Please let us know if you have any issues and we can investigate. 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Admin1 year, 5 months, and 2 days ago Link
anonymous
Zac -- I downloaded DDG after reading a news story about your search engine.  My intention was to check it out.  Before the download my default search engine was Google.  After the download it was DDG.  I use Safari.  I have gone to the Safari preferences and selected Google as my default (it give three choice: Google, Yahoo, and Bing... DDG does not show up) and I have restarted Safari.  I can't get rid of DDG as the default.  I might select DDG as my preference after more experience but right now this is very annoying.  How do I get back to Google as my default???  Thanks.

Bob
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year, 4 months, and 27 days ago Link
anonymous
i want to remove ddg
anonymous
what ever engine i use it still pops up on my tool bar  helpppppppppppppppppppppppp
anonymous
I have your search page but unlike any other search page ....it is not ready for any questions to ask.  I have to click the box in order to conduct my search.  what is going on.  If you are all smart enough to go head to head with other search engines...why the omission of the starting place being ready for a search?
you have no email box to communicate with your clients.  Why?
Richard Verville 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 months and 11 days ago Link
crazedpsyc
I believe auto-focusing the search box was disabled, as users decided it was too annoying when they didn't actually want to do a search. We also have a feedback page which can be accessed from the "Give feedback" button on the right side of result pages, and of course we do our best to keep up here.
posted by crazedpsyc Admin8 months and 11 days ago Link
zac
Sorry--I'm a bit confused. You said, "I have gone to the Safari preferences and selected Google as my default (it give three choice: Google, Yahoo, and Bing... DDG does not show up) and I have restarted Safari."

Are you referring to the homepage or to the default search-engine? It will be on the same page (Settings->General--> Homepage).

If you see Google, Yahoo, and Bing in the list of default search-engines, what happens when you choose 1 of those? 

-Zac

posted by zac Admin1 year, 4 months, and 26 days ago Link
anonymous
I'm referring to the "default search engine" pull down in Safari preferences and I'm speaking of the default search function not the home landing page.  In preferences I'm given three choices for the default search engine (Google/Yahoo/Bing).  I have selected Google -- no change when I put a search term in the address field it defaults to DDG.  I have closed Safari and restarted it to no effect.  When I check preferences for default search engine it indicated that Google is selected and DDG is not an option.  I'm using Safari 6.0.2.  In this version the address field (top nav) and the search field are the same, btw.

Bob
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year, 4 months, and 26 days ago Link
anonymous
Hello!  I just had the same problem.  Here's what I did, and it worked:

Go to Safari
     Click on Preferences
            Click on Extensions

...then click "uninstall."

Hope this helps!
Verne Gelvin-Lane
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year, 3 months, and 14 days ago Link
zac
Thanks for the followup! I've updated to 6.0.2 but can't reproduce the same problem. After uninstalling, I'm still able to switch search-engines and use them immediately. Does clearing your cookies/cache help? 

-Zac

posted by zac Admin1 year, 4 months, and 26 days ago Link
anonymous
Verne thank you so much.  Had the same problem and was going through all kinds of work arounds to get around it.  Safari, preferences, extensions, uninstall did the trick.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 months and 7 days ago Link
anonymous
I checked my cookies cache and I've got a zillion of them... afraid to trash them all since some are useful (even if it is big brother).  What if I de-install DDG -- how do I do that?  I could then try again and see what happens (assuming that a de-install would make the problem go away).
crazedpsyc
Ahh, you haven't uninstalled it! That's why. 
That is one of the functions of the addon -- making DDG the default search engine. Unfortunately there is no way to really integrate this with Safari's settings, Safari is far too strict about what it allows.
posted by crazedpsyc Admin1 year, 4 months, and 26 days ago Link
anonymous
If you use Firefox, go to Add-ons from Tools on menu bar, a list comes up and there is duckduckgo. Hit remove and it's gone!
It took too many websites with too much how to info that didn't work plus time for this 70 year old to finally hit Bing and there it was
ADD-ONS .....YEA
anonymous
That is the question I'm asking: how does one "un-install DDG"?  (I'm using Safari, not Firefox.)
anonymous
I tried the tools> add-on manager > remove and it is still there.  What now.  Please
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year, 4 months, and 5 days ago Link
anonymous
Nope.  That doesn't work.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year and 19 days ago Link
anonymous
This isn't working for me it keeps coming  back!!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 10 months and 1 day ago Link
anonymous
Thanks, it worked.  Funny how hard it is to get a direct answer from the ducks.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 months and 30 days ago Link
anonymous
Thank you, thank you.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 months and 18 days ago Link
anonymous
Thank you!!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 months and 27 days ago Link
anonymous
Eureka!  I think I have resolved the issue.  Thanks for your comments.  B
zac
Guest who's still having issues--can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? Does the DuckDuckGo addon still show in your Tools-->Addons menu? 

-Zac

posted by zac Admin1 year, 4 months, and 5 days ago Link
anonymous
go to "about:config" from the browser     

search for "keyword.URL"

replace the duck duck go with "https://www.google.com/search?q="

You are done     
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year, 1 month, and 19 days ago Link
anonymous
This still does not answer the original question which is how to remove DDG from the COMPUTER. I can't find DDG on the add-on list so it's impossible to delete. Firefox tells me that my version is corrupted. I would greatly appreciate a speedy answer because I want to install the French version but cannot due to existing (corrupt) version

Signed...Canard
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 11 months and 20 days ago Link
anonymous
That did it.  Thanks!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 months and 13 days ago Link
anonymous
In Safari go to your preferences, then your extension. From extension download the page until you see DuckDuckGo, then clidk on uninstall and your ok, it's suppose to work for Firefox too.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 1 year and 20 days ago Link
anonymous
Im using internet explorer and Ive managed to get rid of all but my homepage I changed my homepage and deleted it completely off my computer but it still keeps defaulting back to Duckduckgo. How do I get rid of this..
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 months and 21 days ago Link
zac
For the Guests in the middle of the thread, there should be uninstall directions for our addons with each browser here: https://dukgo.com/help/en_US/desktop/adding-duckduckgo-to-your-browser

For the last Guest, does this method not work for you? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/change-home-page#ie=ie-10

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Admin7 months and 17 days ago Link
anonymous
I'm using Firefox. I went to Tools and found DDG in my Add Ons as an extension. I removed it and it's gone.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 months and 13 days ago Link