Duckduckgo browser

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 6 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 6 months ago
Hi,

Over the past few months, I've been working on a new browser, called Min, that is integrated with DuckDuckGo.

There are several improvements to the search bar over other browsers:

- The search bar shows information from DuckDuckGo's API as you type.
- The browser supports fuzzy search, so you can type "dc/f" to get to this forum.
- Full-text search is supported for bookmarks, so its much easier to find things you've saved.
- !bangs are sorted by how often you've used them, so its easier to quickly search on a website.

There are also features that make Min easier to use when you have lots of tabs open:

- New tabs open to the right of the current tab, so you don't lose your place in the tabstrip.
- Tabs you haven't looked at in a while fade out, so its easier to find the tab you want.
- You can swipe down on the tab strip (or press shift + control/command + e) to view all of your open tabs in a grid.

It also includes features such as a reading list and a "focus mode" that prevents you from getting distracted.

Min is based on Chromium, using Electron. This means it is written entirely in JavaScript, using nodeJS.

Currently, Mac OS X is the only platform that is officially supported, but there are Windows and Linux builds here that should work. Please let me know if you run into any problems.

The source code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/PalmerAL/min/
You can download the browser here: https://palmeral.github.io/min

Let me know what you think!

I've also attached some screenshots of the browser.
Attached Files: 2
Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 2.27.22 PM.png - Full expanded_tab_mode.png - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago
nickmavrick
I think it's great! is there any way I could install it on Linux (Ubuntu) or windows?
posted by nickmavrick 2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
There are builds for Windows and Linux here: https://github.com/PalmerAL/min/releases (under the "Downloads" section). However, I only have use OS X, so I don't know if the builds actually work. Let me know if you find any problems!
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Good Job. Let trying
Choca
Nice web browser. Most things work fine.
I tried going to the verge and clicked an article it told me 'This site could harm you.
This website could be trying to steal your personal information, such as passwords or banking information.'
Also I would love support for extensions like adblock and 1password
posted by Choca 2 years and 6 months ago Link
Choca
Also, I can't figure out how to delete tabs. Is it possible? A new window option would also be great.
posted by Choca 2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for finding that bug! I'll try to get that fixed in the next version.

Basic ad blocking support is going to be built-in to the browser in the near future, but general extension support is quite difficult. That will probably have to wait until 2.0.