Two points about news searches

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 2 years and 1 month ago
Hi - my feedback for what it's worth:

I've been using duckduckgo for a few months now, and I like it. I am finding it generally a good high quality alternative to google searches...but with two exceptions that leave me still having to use google a high percentage of the time:

1) with respect to the ddg trick of typing news in order to search news on a given topic, I have at times been frustrated with this solution. It has seemed to me at times inferior to news.google.com in some of the quality of results whereas at times the quality of both has seemed ok. In one respect I'd say it's somewhat superior (the sort order appears to be chronological with most recent first, which may sound common, but it has been some time since I have been able to figure out how to get news.google.com to do that). On google's sort organisation, I like some aspects of the way they do it, but I wish I had more control to make it strictly chronological when I want it that way. As to ddg's sort order, as far as I know chronological is the only option.

2) For many years, news.google.com, which is customizable, has intermittently been the start page that I default to for my browser because it brings me a very quick efficient collection of headlines tailored to what I want. I would prefer to bring up something like news.duckduckgo.com and not use google for this assemblage of starting point headlines, but as far as I can tell there is no such thing. Thus, I am stuck still using google a high percentage of the time.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

MyUser
Hello,

Glad you're using DuckDuckGo! I agree with both your points; customization is one of the many things DDG needs to work on, mostly by adding more options for different forms of searches. Also, I like your idea of news.duckduckgo.com; it has an awesome ring to it.

For now, you can download the DuckDuckGo app for Windows, iPhone or Android. Just search "duckduckgo" in the Windows Store or go to https://duckduckgo.com/app for iOS and Android versions. It's not the ideal solution but it's still pretty neat.

Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 2 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Hi - belated thanks for the reply.

I have the app loaded, but I'm not much of a cell phone person I must admit.

In any event, I can only reiterate - Duckduckgo is good I think, except on news, where it presently offers nothing that is really competitive with news.google.com
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Then again, if the best thing for duckduckgo is simply to be good at web search, I can try to find some other alternative to news.google.com and not push so much for changing duckduckgo.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 10 months ago Link