How to make DuckDuckGo settings stick?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 6 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 6 months ago
I just switched to DDG as my default search engine for Firefox, Pale Moon, and IE 11, after Ixquick decided to create Startpage with Google (I hate Google).

The problem is that when I use the DDG settings to change some defaults (for example, to open selection in a new tab, or to underline result headers), the settings don't stick. I understand that the settings are stored in a cookie. Is this correct? The problem, I believe, is that I always use private browsing, and make sure that all cookies are deleted when I close my browser. Therefore, when I open my browser, the DDG settings are gone.
Is this a correct assessment of why this is happening?

How can I fix the problem (without giving up private browsing)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
By default settings are stored in non-personal browser cookies (in your browser). You are losing these settings because in private (incognito) mode, your browser is configured to delete cookies on exit.
You can use Anonymous Cloud Save to store your settings in a more permanent way (on a remote server in the cloud). No personally identifiable information will be stored in the cloud, and your pass phrase will never leave your browser.

You can also use a bookmarklet URL, for example:
https://duckduckgo.com/?k7=d0cdcd
In Advances Settings, select your preferred settings then click on Show Bookmarklet and Settings Data then copy the URL provided.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the info. However, this implies that I have to go to the URL (or set it as my home page) to take advantage of the saved settings. This is not what I want to do. I would like to use the search bar that is in the navigation toolbar (and currently set to DuckDuckGo as the default search engine), and keep my current home page. Is this possible?
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
tagawa
Hi. As x.15a2 says, there are two possible options: Cloud Save or URL parameters in a bookmarklet.

For the URL parameters, yes, you'd have to go to the URL each time unless your browser allows you to set a specific URL as the default search engine.

So the other option is Cloud Save, accessible from the settings sidebar, which requires a password to save and restore settings. If you use private browsing and cookies are deleted each time you close the browser, then you'd need to enter the password each time you start the browser and use DuckDuckGo. However, this is saved for the duration of the browser session so even if you closed the DuckDuckGo tab (and not the whole browser), your settings would still be active.

Apart from this, the only other technical possibility would be for search engine settings to be stored as part of the browser settings, but I don't know of any browsers that have this functionality.
posted by tagawa Staff2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Thank you for that information, tagawa. I will have to research whether Pale Moon / Firefox will allow me to set a URL as a default search engine.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
tagawa
I've just tried looking through the settings in Firefox 45 but the custom search engine link just goes to the Mozilla Addons site, so I don't think custom URLs are possible :-(
x.15a2
I use Pale Moon and I've created "new" searches by copying the original XML then copying to searchplugins folder in my profile folder, then editing the XML to change it's IDs and to point to my custom URL. This would likely work on FF as well, but I haven't tried.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 6 months ago Link
tagawa
Cool! Trust you to find a workaround like that :-)
spacebar
What I did was created my own start page (similar to the screen shot below) with all my favorite links and stored it on my computer. Then I added my exact duckduckgo cloud url so my settings never disappear even if I clear my cache. [http://www.searchsites.ms11.net/images/custompage.png]
posted by spacebar 2 years and 6 months ago Link
spacebar
Lately, I've been trying to set a customized DDG start page for a family member and the custom settings have been really wonky. Settings don't save and when I go back into settings to save again I see settings have reverted back to white. So I have to re-enter my custom parameters all over again.
spacebar
Also, in a related issue, the region setting is stubborn about turning off. I kept choosing "clear" or "all results" and the page kept reloading to the U.S. selection.