URL to a lean DDG homepage with ! (bang) pre-populated

WinTakeAll WinTakeAll
Created: 1 year and 11 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 11 months ago
Currently my smartphone's start page is:

...i.e. DDG with the ! typed, so I don't have to. It's painful to type ! on mobile, most of my queries need it and for the others it's easy to remove. Remember the ! is not just for !w, !s and the like: type a space after and it's "I'm feeling ducky", i.e. go to the top result (try e.g. ! smithsonian (with the space).

The only problem is this loads the answers to a search about the actual ! character, complete with pictures, the WP article and whatnot. Not interesting.

Is there any way to add something to the URL like &loadanswers=0 (just an example I made up) to get a page as neat, uncluttered and quick-loading as the regular DDG homepage but still with the ! pre-populated?

I understand there are alternatives like the DDG app, other keyboard apps etc, but I'd rather not install anything else, just change my start page URL.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

I don't know of a way to pre-populate the DDG search field with a bang without getting search results for that character, as the page will load using any parameters provided and a bang character without other parameters correctly displays the definition of the character.

The best workaround for what your trying to do may be to use !+, which yeilds no results and you simply backspace over the + to create your !Bang search.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 11 months ago Link
Doesn't work for me when I try: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=!+
posted by WinTakeAll 1 year and 11 months ago Link
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 11 months ago Link
You wont believe it but i had the same idea a few months ago. Many people complain to me because they say they don't want to press Shift + 1 to use bangs. So my idea is that when you press the bang button DDG writes it for you as you can see in this image!

posted by duckduckian 1 year and 11 months ago Link