Please turn off spellcheck (or have the option to)

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 1 year and 7 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 7 months ago
I use my browser al lot for looking up technical data, or help on programming topics.

For instance, I'm learning golang recently. So I search a lot of queries that have the word "golang" in it.

Because duckduckgo does not have
Code:
spellcheck="false"
on their search inputs, my browser corrects this to
"gaoling" most of the time. This annoys me a lot.

It would be great if there was an option to turn of spellcheck for the more technically inclined searchers!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Hello and thanks for your comments. DDG doesn't have spell checking in the traditional sense. Instead, if DDG detects a misspelling, it presents 2 options like:
We have included [suggested spelling correction].
Limit results to [original search terms]?

With this, you can click on the Limit results to... and only the terms exactly as the user entered them will be searched.

If your browser is correcting certain search terms I would suggest that it's the browser's spell checking that needs to be disabled modified to recognize technical search terms.

I tested using the search term golang and here are my results (my browser's spellcheck is enabled):
[http://snag.gy/4BBGg.jpg]

If I've not understood your issue, please feel free to provide more details and screenshots.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I think you misunderstood my issue. I'm not talking about spell checking in ddg search results but spell checking my browser does in the search input field (before I press enter).

I could turn my browsers global spell checker off, but that is overkill I find it quite handy that I have one for input fields on fora like this for example (you probably won't find spelling errors in this post).

However, DDG can control wether or not my browser should spell check the search input field by adding the `spellcheck="false"` attribute on the search box input html element.

This is common practice for input fields that have take text that is not spelling sensitive like email addresses, usernames etc:

Code:
<input type="text" spellcheck="false" name="username" />

I think search input fields often take text that isn't supposed to be necessarily spelled right, so it would make sense to add it here too.

Google has this for their search box, and it is super handy. To keep spell checking for people who do like it, you could put this behind an option.

I'd be happy to help you guys implement this if you point me in the right direction.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 7 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks for the clarification. I tested using the full, html and lite versions of DDG using Pale Moon and Vivaldi. I tested from the DDG home page and from a search results page and in each case. In PM, both spellcheck and autocorrect were inactive. In Vivaldi, spellcheck was enabled, but autocorrect was inactive and each of misspelled search terms were accepted "as-is" by DDG.

Can you share your operating environment (OS and browser) so I can pass your suggestion along to the developers?

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I'm using Safari 9.1 on Mac OS X 10.11.4
But I'm guessing that every browser that has spelling correction will have the issue.

To stipulate: I do not have a problem with how DDG handles my query after I het enter. It is about how the UI of the webpage behaves before I hit enter.

[https://i.imgur.com/fepQd5H.gif]
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 6 months ago Link
brians
Thanks for submitting. We're looking into making the change.
posted by brians Staff1 year and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
any news on this?
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
"if DDG detects a misspelling, it presents 2 options like:
We have included [suggested spelling correction].
Limit results to [original search terms]?"

Having spellings of technical terms "corrected" to irrelevant results is extremely irritating, even if I can click a button to get the results for what I asked for in the first place. Is there a way to always default to limiting the results to the original search term?
x.15a2
Yes, you can place the specific search term in "quotes".
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
This is an option, but this doesn't include alternative names and spellings, and (as far as I am aware) this also omits results for plurals.

For example, I've recently been searching for information about various chemicals, including "methylthioethane". This is a chemical which can be spelled either with or without a space between "methyl" and "thio".

If I include a space the result automatically corrects to methylthio methane, which is a different chemical, if I put this in quotation marks or click the "limit results to..." button I lose all the results that don't put a space in, and if I type in methylthioethane as a single word it gives results for a ton of other completely different chemicals with similar groups (e.g. Bismethylthiomethane) without even giving me an option to limit results, and I don't gets results for the spelling with a space.
x.15a2
Thanks for this information, it's exactly what the devs are looking for from using the [https://i.snag.gy/dm9PRE.jpg] button. Please replicate your search, then paste your above comments in the Send Feedback form.

Thanks!
tagawa
Indeed - having specific example queries really helps. Thank you, I'll forward the suggestion to the rest of the team.
posted by tagawa Staff1 year and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Thank you both of you. The results appear to have been fixed already. [methyl thioethane] still automatically corrects to [methylthio methane], but putting the whole thing in quotation marks now gives results both with and without the space and gives fewer false positives. Clicking [limit results to...] or putting both words into quotation marks allows for searching for chemicals with both methyl and thioethane groups without limiting results to methylthioethane. [methylthioethane] still gives a few false positives, but they're now ranked lower, and the wrong words no longer appear in bold.

It's refreshing to see a search engine that cares about feedback and giving the best results it can :)
x.15a2
Sweet, glad to know that it's working better for you and thanks for the status report!

Thanks for using DDG
anonymous
Sorry for reopening a dead post, but this still isn't fixed and it's still the only gripe I have with using duckduckgo.

From the discussion that developed in this thread, it seems that there is still a lot of unclarity about what I exactly mean by spelling correction.

I'm talking about something that has nothing to do with the duckduckgo search results. I'm talking about the UX of the search input bar before I press enter.

It is really annoying that this input field has spell checking turned on because the query I'm typing will likely not have 100% correct spelling.

This would fix that:
Code:
<input type="text" spellcheck="false" />

posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 1 month ago Link