tracking?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 6 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 6 months ago
Did duckduckgo started tracking my searches? Recently I started seeing ads of recently visted website poping out everywhere...

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Of course not! DDG is committed to not tracking any searches. Remember, once you leave DDG and go to another site, you are then left to the privacy policies (or lack thereof) of those other web sites.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I am DEFINITELY having the same experience. I'm a long term user of Duckduckgo but I've never seen this before.

I switch on my PC. Open a new tab, and search for 2 terms: "Sheffield Live" and "theft"
The results come up with loads of things about the IWW on Sheffield Live.

Well, the IWW has been interviewed on Sheffield Live, because it's a community radio/TV station lots of organisations and people get interviewed all the time ... but last time I had my computer on I was looking up the IWW. Coincidence? No way. How could it get remembered without tracking searched?

Thanks for the chance to comment - I'd appreciate any responses
Jocc
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
tagawa
Thanks for bringing this up. Search results should be the same for everyone. The only thing that would change is if they were tailored to the region/locale. I tried a search (with no region selected) for `"sheffield live" theft` and also got IWW in the results, although I've never visited IWW sites.

[http://i.imgur.com/MMMe6hU.png]

If you see what looks like a strange result, one way to check is to open a private tab or window in the browser and try the same search. If the results are not the same (with the same settings enabled) then we'd definitely like to hear about it, as a rogue extension or something may be intefering.
posted by tagawa Staff2 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for this reply Tagawa (and the advice below), I accept you're probably right it seems like it was just a coincidence. And I'm glad to come to that conclusion - I like Duckduckgo!

Jocc
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
tagawa
Hi. As x.15a2 says, once you visit websites after clicking on DuckDuckGo search results they may track you, either with their own code or with third-party code from a larger network. If this happens, the third-party organization may share that with ad companies or websites.

This happened to me looking at watches on a shopping site recently. When I looked at a blog later, I saw adverts for watches. There must have been some tracking code on the shopping site that left a cookie, which was then read by code from the same organization to show ads embedded in the blog.
posted by tagawa Staff2 years and 6 months ago Link