Language guessing

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 4 years and 11 months ago
It is a bit annoying making queries in languages different from English. Words which are not usually considered important in the results such as "and" or "the", are treated differently when the language is not English, such as Spanish words "y" or "el". At least this is the feeling I have when using Duckduckgo.

It would be interesting if the search engine had some system to guess the language the query is being done, and discarding the common words in that language. This information may also be useful to provide better "did you mean" suggestions.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I would add that it would be helpful if it were possible to search in another language. I'm looking for material on Brazil, and almost all my results are in English, which, given that I'm looking for some local news, is only helpful sometimes.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 month ago Link
clel
I agree. DDG has to improve internationalization, but I know that they already work on some aspects.
posted by clel 4 years and 1 month ago Link