DDG not working, bookmarks not working, not working on iOS. Google is working fine. Cannot access search engine on multiple devices

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 2 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 2 months ago
Was working fine last night. This morning it is straight crap!!! Goolge works just fine and is how I found this post as nothing is working for DDG. You guys need a back door way to get feedback to you. 2 Macbook Pros and 2 iphones cannot access ANYTHING from DDG. What is the issue? This has been happening a lot, and by that this is the 5th or 6th time in a month the site claims to be up and working but NO ACCESS. The rest of the net is working fine, just not on DDG. I checked with my ISP, no issues. I am a network admin at work and have given due diligence in the making sure it's not my devices area. What the heck is up with the site that claims to be running fine?!?!?!?!?!?!? Uggggghhhh, frustrating...I don't want to go back to google...

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
I've forwarded your information to OPs for investigation. I've been using DDG all day with no issues, it could be localized to a specific regional server, but that's speculation.

The "backdoor" that you've requested is the forums or the DDG sub-Reddit at: https://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 2 months ago Link
zac
Apologies for the frustration, however, there's little we can do to resolve an individual issue without more information. If you'd like to contact ops@duckduckgo.com, our team will likely require more details to flesh out your specific situation but would likely be the fastest route to resolution. At this time, we have not experienced any regional or major outages which could've impacted more people and we haven't seen other reported issues.
posted by zac Staff2 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I just drove to a friends house, he lives 24 miles away, he doesn't use DDG, but I tried to access your site from both his, windows and mac laptops, his wife's iPhone, AND his Droid. Nothing. The rest of the net, is working fine.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 2 months ago Link
zac
That's odd -- are you sure you're accessing the correct page? You can verify that the site is up with 3rd party tools: https://isitup.org/duckduckgo.com but it's not yet clear why you and your friend's computers cannot access it.

Here's a thread from the subreddit about issues with internet providers (or DNS settings) that could be interfering with more than just duckduckgo.com https://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/comm...
posted by zac Staff2 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
In each case I entered https://duckduckgo.com for the url. It miraculously works fine today...Just not ALL DAY yesterday, attempting with OS X(x4, including my friend's), Win 7(x2), 8, 10, iOS(x2) and Droid(x2). I had to switch back to Google for the day. I would have to say in this case, absence of proof on your side is not proof of absence on my side. I was not able to access your search engine the entire time I was up 0530-2230. At 0530 this morning, working. Do what you will, but this DID happen and seemed that I was not able to reach your servers. The rest of the internet was working, and still is working fine. May be something to look into at a little more aggregated level.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 2 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks again for reporting this and I hope that you understand that we are interested in what you experienced yesterday and would like to find resolution to it. I hope that you were able to do what Zac suggested in his first post, as this would provide the critical information that the OPs team would need for tracking this down.

One additional thing that I would suggest is, when DDG is working for you, PING duckduckgo.com and keep a record of the IP address. Then, if you encounter this issue again, attempt accessing DDG via the IP address. If that works, it would tend to indicate an ISP\DNS issue. If that were the case, you could try using an alternate DNS provider or even simply try flushing your DNS cache.

Please note that we're not saying that the problem is with you, what it being suggested are various troubleshooting steps that you can take to help isolate the cause of this issue.

Thanks for the information and thanks for using DuckDuckGo!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 2 months ago Link