The settings

Alphabet_song.ogg Alphabet_song.ogg
Created: 1 year and 5 months ago • Updated: 1 year and 5 months ago
By default,some settings of DuckDuckGo are disabled.Such as "New window","Redirect".Could you change them?
Attached Files: 1
settings.PNG - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Sure, all of the settings can be changed by users with 2 means of saving the settings. Of course, if DDG were to change the defaults any existing settings, many users would be upset because it could actually "break" their existing settings.

By default settings are stored in non-personal browser cookies (in your browser). If you are losing these settings, your browser (or one of it's add-ons) is probably configured to delete cookies on exit. You can exclude the DDG cookie from deletion to keep your settings.

You can use Anonymous Cloud Save to store your settings in a more permanent way (on a remote server in the cloud). No personally identifiable information will be stored in the cloud, and your pass phrase will never leave your browser.

You can also use a bookmarklet URL, for example:
https://duckduckgo.com/?kd=1&kn=1
In Advances Settings, select your preferred settings then click on Show Bookmarklet and Settings Data then copy the URL provided.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 5 months ago Link
Alphabet_song.ogg
Some important settings are disabled by default. Could you make DDG notify the users whom don't use "Cloud Save"?
posted by Alphabet_song.ogg 1 year and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks for the input. You'll be glad to know that none of the default settings reduce DDG's users online privacy. I can understand that you would be concerned regarding the Redirect setting, but here's the explanation:
Quote:
The redirect setting will actually default to OFF now for certain modern browsers that support the meta referrer tag. The meta referrer tag solves the same privacy issues in a much more elegant way, you can read more about it here: https://duck.co/redir/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fb...

Other settings are non-privacy impacting and are a matter of personal choice\preference. Displaying settings notifications would likely cause a high level of confusion and aggravation, so we try to keep notification to a minimum.

Also, as stated above, saving settings to the cloud is just 1 of 3 ways to access DDG custom settings, users are welcomed to use and\all of these methods.

Thanks!

tagawa
A bit more about the redirect...
As you know, when enabled, clicking on a search result sends the request through a DuckDuckGo redirection server before loading the requested page. This in itself raises privacy concerns for some users who don't want a web service, no matter how trustworthy, to know what other sites they're visiting. Not having a redirect is more transparent for end users.

There are also other minor issues such as a fraction of a second delay and not being able to right-click and copy/paste a link's URL. On balance, it was decided to have it disabled by default with the addition of using the meta referrer tag mentioned by x.15a2 above.

Regarding opening links in a new window, I too prefer this and mostly use middle-click to open in a background tab. However default behaviour for most sites on the web is for links to open in the same window/tab. Speaking personally, I have family members who get confused when a new tab opens and they wonder why the back button doesn't work. Not opening new windows by default is likely to be what most users, including non-technical ones, expect.
posted by tagawa Staff1 year and 5 months ago Link
Alphabet_song.ogg
In some cases,it has some problems of that "use middle-click to open in a new tab" so we have to use right-click.
tagawa
You're right - I meant when I'm using a mouse. When using a laptop without mouse I do right-click and open link in new tab.
posted by tagawa Staff1 year and 5 months ago Link
Alphabet_song.ogg
In some other cases,we need to do right-click,too.
Alphabet_song.ogg
After I search sth. with a search engine, I usually visit search results' sites via new tabs.I'm not used to open in the same tab then press the back button.
x.15a2
See my post above for changing and saving settings.