How do I remove DDG from FireFox?

[Old Forum hedera46] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 10 months ago
I use FireFox 16.0.2.  After reading about DDG the other day I thought I'd try it.  I added it to my list of search engines, and now when I type a search question in the address bar (which I've gotten used to), I get DDG instead of Google.  I'm not happy with the results DDG returns.  I've first disabled and then removed the DDG plugin but it's still there.  I just removed it from the list of search engines and I hope that does it.  Why did it stay around after I removed the plugin?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
In your address bar, please type: about:config 

Click I Understand the Risks

On the page that pops up, type: keyword.url 

Doubleclick the result keyword.URL and change the value to whichever search-engine you'd prefer. 

Also, can you provide any specific examples of bad results? 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff5 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
Thankyou for this as well.

While DDG is good, I just don't like being forced to use something I am not familiar with. 

Since removing from my FireFox for Mint, I have used this engine a few times, and will probably use it as a secondary search engine for when Google gets too full of themselves... again.

=^.,.^=
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Several months ago I changed my address bar search to DDG. I've been more than happy with the results and only occasionally have to refer to Bing (first), Yahoo (second) or Google (as rarely as possible). I save time and keystrokes. What I appreciate is the lack of "commercial clutter". I'm not a sophisticated user, but do worry about the persistent co-optioning of the web for marketing purposes.
anonymous
Yeh great, it removed duckduck from my browser and every other bloody thing, well not quite, but putting the name of the browser you want is not easy. Mozilla don't seem to have a name, or one that works, and not having a grammar school edumakation I did not know if bollocks had 1 hell or 2.

Finally having searched for UR heLLs  (thanks to the right hand side browser which incidentally has a drop down menu of browsers, but not the addresses) I came up with what Mozilla uses as a URL, which passes the search on to Google I think. I put the URL name in below and now am back in business.

https://www.google.com/search?q=

I found when searching a lot with duckduck many addresses seem to be the same www.  I found what I was looking for in Google/Mozilla easier. ( ie. How to reset my Epson L100 printer when the ink pads need cleaning) as the bastard locks you out and wants servicing after printing so many copies.

Perhaps you could identify all the browser URL addresses in your information? Perhaps not a very good marketing stratedy, but at least you have the honesty to give advice on how to remove your product.

Regards Expat in Bali

anonymous
I have had more issues with phishing and privacy since downloading this DDG. It seems just wanting to be anonymous is a crime or anyone wishing to be anonymous is a suspect. As most "hackers" go after windows products the illegal monitoring of internet is up-scaled by those wishing to maintain a little privacy. I understand it is not DDG, but other "entities" who assume the use of DDG is suspect criminal activity.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I haven't a clue what "change the value to whichever search-engine you'd prefer." means.
I am NOT computer literate enough to be messing about in config.
If you are part of DDG then please write a program or something to remove your product from Firefox.
I thought I'd try DDG after reading some positive reviews, but had I known it would be this much of a nightmare to remove, I would have stayed clear. Reminds me of the old AOL scam days. Are you all just scammers? Pretty damn unethical.
I shall return to the site that gave your product such good reviews and inform all other suckers of the down side to DDG.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Thank you!

Voula :)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 day ago Link
anonymous
I did this and I did the Add On removal. Nothing helped. When I type keyword.url under "about config search" feature, there are no results whatsoever, empty. This thing was forced onto my PC and either you give me quick instructions to remove it or my lawyer will help you do it. Never used anything that is forced on me and never will!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 30 days ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 30 days ago
anonymous
I appreciate the tip, it was driving me nuts.

They weren't bad in the sense of wrong; they related to the search terms.  I'm probably just a Google addict.  I have certain expectations (based on Google) of what I'll get when I put, particularly, a computer error message into a search field, and DDG didn't return anything like it, and I needed to solve my problem.

I may actually use DDG again, and I may put it back in my search field; but I REALLY don't want it to be the default when I use the address bar as a search field!
posted by [Old Forum hedera46] • 5 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
Thanks for the followup. We're always working on improving relevancy and we'd obviously hate to lose you. Any poor relevancy examples can be posted here or sent through our feedback form. It could be a simple tweak or recent bug that's causing the issues.

-Zac

posted by zac Staff5 years and 10 months ago Link
dashesy
Have you tries !g bang? Every once in a while it comes handy, and I would say fewer over time which means relevancy is getting better.
posted by dashesy 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
I don't understand what !g bang is.  I've got DDG to the point where I can pull it up from a bookmark when I want to.
posted by [Old Forum hedera46] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
hedera46, !bangs are a quick way to search on other sites. You can check out all the shortcuts (!bangs) here: https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html

-Zac

posted by zac Staff5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
I got hijacked and never installed this duck thing. Only got here cause I wanted to remove it as it annoyed me instantly. I don't like things being forced on me, and I think that is cheap. Main reason for removing without even bothering to give it a try.

Last thing you want while researching something is for your browser to be changed without your consent and then have some duckduck thing constantly there. If you want to be taken seriously and given a chance, dont use these underhanded tactics.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Nothing was (or is ever) forced or installed automatically -- chances are, you accidentally clicked something you shouldn't have. 
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
I didn't ask for it either.

As I am the only user of this machine I can assure you that I did not download this, I have not downloaded anything recently. So...if it came as a download it was piggybacked on a legitimate update.

It is malicious and underhanded.

As above, I won't even give it a chance if the software is stealthily hidden, intentionally, on my computer.

Bad form.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 10 months ago Link
x.15a2
Incorrect. DDG's extensions are only installed by user request. They are not bundled with any other software and require user intervention for deployment.

Additionally, FF always informs users if\when an extension is about to be installed, that's how it works.

Can you provide the exact name and version number of the extension that is installed in your browser?
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 10 months ago Link
alterationbrick
It was bundled with the new Firefox update, and added to the list of search plugins they include by default. It's not the only thing "stealthily hidden" on your computer; Firefox also bundles Google, Bing, Twitter search, Amazon search, Ebay search, Yahoo and Wikipedia search. In my opinion, it isn't malicious and underhanded; it's the Firefox team choosing to endorse a service that mirrors their values regarding privacy. And you don't actually need to uninstall it; unless there's some weird bug in Firefox, you can set Google as your default and DDG will sit there and do nothing. Search plugins are harmless.
posted by alterationbrick 3 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
The trouble is, with DuckDuckGo it's way too easy to "accidentally click something you shouldn't have" - and much too complicated to then remove it from the innards of FireFox.  Having pried it out of my browser, I actually find it a very useful alternative to Google.  But I want to use it on my terms.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
Hello Guest,
I think it's great that you find DDG to be a useful alternative to Google, most of us here think that way too!
As a user and someone that has no other connection with DDG, let me assure you that DDG is never installed into a browser during the course of other product installation. The only means by which the various DDG add-ons are installed is by the browser's user selecting the add-ons. There's nothing clandestine about the deployment process.

x-15a2
I read about "ducky" in a newspaper article and thought I'd give it a try.  I really, really don't like it.  But, I can't get rid of it.  No one who's responded to the initial question about removing it has done so.  The responses sound like "Ducks" quacking back from Pond  Central.  Is there an easy way for me to get rid of DuckDuckGo and have it never come back?  Thanks.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
crazedpsyc
It depends on how you added it, but the most common ways:
  • Go to your addon manager (Firefox button > Add-ons), find DuckDuckGo, hit Remove or Disable next to it.
  • Open the search engine menu (looks something like this in the top right), then select your preferred engine right there.

If you have an older version of Firefox, before 17.0 (check in Firefox > Help > About Firefox), you may also need to type "about:config" (no quotes) in your location bar, accept the warning, search for "keyword.url", and double-click it to set its value to https://www.google.com/search?q= -- assuming you want google.

These are mostly covered in the official help page for Firefox: http://help.dukgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216441-firefox

Of course, we would also love to hear why you are reverting! Can't improve without knowing what problems there are.

posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
who wants junk to hijack your search bar?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 14 days ago Link
x.15a2
There is no hijacking involved, the DDG addon is user installed and not deployed in any clandestine way.

x-15a2
Forum Moderator
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 14 days ago Link
anonymous

DuckDuckGo is the most intrusive juck we ever downloaded. That is bad enough, but it gets worse.
Deleting it is virtually impossible. The developer created a poison pill that clings to Firefox like bacteria.
Instructions on how to get rid of DuckDuckGo are contrived and intended to be useless.
Apps like this should be considered crimes.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
zac
Guest, can you please let us know some more detail so we can help?

How are you trying to remove DuckDuckGo from Firefox?

1. Open Firefox.
  2. Click the Firefox button in the Firefox toolbar..
  3. Click Add-ons.
  4. Click Extensions.
  5. Click the Remove button associated with the DuckDuckGo extension.

^^does that not work for you? If not, can you tell us what's happening when you perform those steps?

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Since the latest update of Duck Duck Go (Firefox), I now have an annoying pop up tab that tells me how great DDG is.

Well it is not so great because I do not want this tab and yet having difficulty removing it/ stopping it from opening.

Is not loading through the usual Tools-Options-General-homepage.
Have searched about:config and can not find it.

Information about how to stop this tab from opening is not on the new opened and hijacked (as far as I am concerned if I don't want it, it is a hijack) tab itself.

If I turn off Duck Duck Go through the Addons, it does stop the tab, but then I no longer can use DDG.

Am about 1 day away from saying goodbye to this search engine if this can not be fixed.

Suggestions?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
zac
Sorry for any frustration--we're currently investigating some bugs that were caused by the recent Firefox update. We haven't updated the addon but instead, the browser has been updated. A few pieces of info should help us bring the addon up to speed:

1. Is the popup a page that says, "Thanks for Installing/Updating" ?
2. Which OS are you using? (windows 7, mac osx 10.8.5, etc)
3. Did you install just install the DDG addon or was it already installed for a few days/weeks/months ?

Thanks!

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff4 years and 11 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago