Make a browser

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 5 years and 9 months ago
DuckDuckGo could make a web browser.

This would be like all browsers only the homepage would automatically be set to DuckDuckGo.

If DuckDuckGo had a web browser I know that I would use it.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

dashesy
I think that is too much effort; if it was not for ChromeOS Google would not have started Chrome. Maybe it distros should be encouraged to set the default search engine to DDG.
posted by dashesy 5 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
No plans of creating a browser in the short-term. Someday, we may consider it but we're entirely focused on search right now :)  

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
hell id love to see that, in the meanwhile ill be spreading the word to make the Duck bigger than google so i can have a duck duck go browser.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Making a browser is a lot of work.

Duck Duck Go seems like a relatively small operation, and focusing part time on making a browser now would just slow down efforts to improve duckduckgo.

They'd have three options when it comes to making a browser (that I can think of).

One. take an existing opensource browser and add to it to make a browser.

This seems like the better idea if they did consider it, but that's assuming they want the least amount of work, but on the other hand, they'd still have to backport new features, and consider developments of the existing browser, plus they'd always be behind to an extent because they'd be trying to make "DuckDuckWeb" or whatever somewhat original.

Two. Build a new browser from the ground up.

They could use webkit as a rendering engine, so most of the work would be just building a UI and other user features, but that still is a time lag that I don't think they want to deal with, combine that with support, and feature requests, and it seems like a huge hassle when you can just tell people use whatever you want as long as it's current.

Plus in my personal opinion I think there are too many webkit browsers now, it seems like if you want a browser that's kind of multiplatform, you use webkit.

the third and least likely option is if Duckduckgo gets bought out by microsoft, or Opera software (possibly best option), or gets bought out by the mozilla corporation or something (not the foundation, and like I said, I really doubt they would buy a search engine when their primary goal is to market firefox)

posted by [Old Forum atomic1fire] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Why create a new browser? Just install "Midori Web Browser", Duckduckgo is the default search engine there. And you can always purge google from Firefox and use DDG instead
posted by [Old Forum danialbehzadi] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
you an use IE 9 and grab the icon next to the urll and pull it down to the taskbar to make a ddg browser kinda
anonymous
If you like Chrome but you concern about your privacy, you could try SRWare Iron that is a clone but without the Google branding and with more privacy. Maybe someone could take it and add some DuckDuckGo branding :)
anonymous
Duck Duck Go should not do what Google did. They should just have an awesome search engine and that's it. Once they have a big market share and the money comes pouring in then they can go do stuff like this and build an empire. :)
posted by [Old Forum omegodriver] • 5 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
DDG needs to do this to gain market share. This should be a priority for DDG imo. Why not just take Chromium and build a DDG version of it? (easier said than done, right?) People access the internet through their browser (for now) and with search built into the omniboxes, it's just too easy to doing default searches right through Google. Building and dispensing Chrome was one of the smartest things Google has ever done to secure market share and gather a whole bunch of other data. 

If the past 100 years has taught us anything, it's that people of our modern culture don't care so much about privacy as they do about convenience. 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
The key feature of DuckDuckGo is privacy.
That's the main reason why it's grown so big.

If it's not related, then why did it's usage tripple only a few days after the PRISM scandal?

That being said, I really like the idea of a DDG browser, and something of the sort could definitely be done without significant tracking. I'm sure the idea of a privacy-oriented browser would appeal to some.

--
Founder of http://www.dumbsearch.com/
Moderator of DuckDuckGo
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Please make a DuckDuckGo Browser!!!1

I LOVE YOU DUCKDUCKGO!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 9 months ago Link