DuckDuckGo new public XMPP/Jabber service on dukgo.com!

getty getty
Created: 6 years and 8 months ago
A FRENCH VERSION IS AVAILABLE HERE: https://duck.co/topic/howto-utiliser-le-service-de-messagerie-publique-jabber-xmpp-sur-dukgo-com

Hiho!

First the general information: Today DuckDuckGo started its own XMPP Server which is public open for registration. If you dont know XMPP/Jabber, you should checkout the WikiPedia page about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMPP. In general its a instant messaging service, like Yahoo Messenger, MSN, ICQ or Skype, to exchange messages live with other friends. As client we suggest Pidgin, but there are many more clients for every platform and on any device. A list you can get here: http://xmpp.org/xmpp-software/clients/.

After downloading and installing Pidgin, you go through the following steps:

Here you just need to hit "Add..." to make a new account

On this menu you need to choose XMPP as protocol out of the dropdown. Then you can choose your username, you want on the server, your XMPP address will be then thisusername@dukgo.com. As domain of course you must set dukgo.com :-). The resource can actually be empty, its an optional value which "defines" your instance of the pidgin for others, if you have several locations you chat from. Now you can choose a password, which you also directly can store, so that you don't need to remember it. The values under User Options are totally locally and only for the tuning of the user.

Important is here that you hit the small "Create this new account on the server" Checkbox!

Then hit "Add" to get to the next step:

Now you need to accept our certificate. So far we use a self-signed certificate which doesn't approve anything for you. But this service is also in Beta, so we will see what changes here in the future. Just hit the "Accept" button, so that it can go on. There are also other windows now open on your screen, but we come to them later.

After you accepted the certification you then can instantly approve the registration you wanted. Its all prefilled, so you just hit the "Register" button to go on.

Yeah you did it! :-) Don't forget your pw! :-) Now you actually need todo a bit more to use the account :)

You need to actually enable your account on this window, which should still be open for you. Just hit the small checkbox on the enabled row to activate your account like seen on the screenshot!

Now you can go and "Add Buddy" or "Add Chat" to get more out of the XMPP experience :-)

For example you can now add the DuckDuckGo Instant Messenger bot as your friend:

Then you got him in your buddy list and you can click on him write him something to get something like this:

You can also "Add Chat" to add our DuckDuckGo Jabber Conference, it will soon  be linked to the IRC channel #duckduckgo on freenode, but we welcome everybody already now :-). Of course you can "Autojoin" if you want :-)

So I hope you find this interesting and also ask your friends to play around with XMPP and Jabber, its generally the only way to get instant messaging with your friends without tracking of a central service, but still with secured usernames.

My personal jabber is: getty@duckduckgo.com so that you can also add me and ask me out about it :)

This is also in general the start of the DuckDuckGo community "attack" :-) Offering services for the public, and help you to identify with DuckDuckGo :-) Show that you are a fan! We are open for suggestions what services we should offer for you as users! Just add them here to the thread :) We will take out some to discuss them deeper :-)

On the next post I will also introduce myself a bit more and also what are the next plans and steps on this new ongoing Community movement for duckduckgo! :) Stay tuned!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Awesome job!
posted by [Old Forum mithrandir] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
  • Easy-Up!.....Go!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Will you be following the same principals in regard to privacy as the DDG search engine follows? Personally, I would love to see the following:

1.) No connection logging. Ie, don't log when people log in and from which IPs
2.) No chat logs
3.) High profile information and instructions on how people can use OTR (Off the Record) for end to end chat encryption
4.) A Tor hidden service gateway to the XMPP server

Regarding 1 and 2, the least that is required IMO is a privacy policy detailing which information is stored and for how long.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
getty
Ok lets answer that list:

1.) we use standard prosody logfile so far, that means it is logged that connections are happening but its not logged by which user. We will remove the "connect" information complete soon, but so far we want to assure the service runs fine for the users.

2.) No, they don't exist, prosody even doesn't offer an option to log them.

3.) Yes, good idea, why you don't make one and post it here? :-) (Well voluntereed!)

4.) DuckDuckGo runs an exit node, i don't know what we can do more on that so far :-)

And i answer an unasked question: Yes we also will offer anonymous XMPP services!

posted by getty 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Also, it doesn't appear to support federation because the dukgo.com domain is missing the appropriate SRV records. Will you be supporting federation in the future?
getty
It is federate, you dont need the SRV entries if you are using the server directly on the A record :-)
anonymous
Awesome!   Now we just need a slick web frontend to make the service more accessible to everyone.
posted by [Old Forum mrschwabe] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
getty
Its on the TODO! :-)
anonymous
May want to consider Speeqe for the web frontend.
https://github.com/thepug/Speeqe
anonymous
Good job! If DuckDuckGo makes a real community, I would be very glad to help! I know decent HTML, CSS, PHP, and Javascript. You guys might find this interesting: http://getcolony.com/

When it comes to websites, I like exploring different features of web-functionality; helping websites become better for the users. I'll be experimenting on my domain, and maybe I can think of something of good use!

Goose, he fights for the users!
posted by [Old Forum benjaminbowen] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Hey, how about adding im@ddg.gg as a default buddy in a new user's roster? It will give the user something to do right away. Also good idea with the welcome message from the server. Maybe it could link to an FAQ (when one exists)
posted by [Old Forum dhruvbird] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
getty
That will be done, i put it on my todo, we will make a maintaince window where we drop in all the new stuff at once!
anonymous
Great! thanks a ton :-)
posted by [Old Forum dhruvbird] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Getty, you legend, I love you.
anonymous
I think this is great as it allows people to chat with others whatever server they use, so long as the im protocol allows it. In some cases such as aim they don't allow it publicly but via backroom deals like they have with goog & I think faceplace.. In any case xmpp is becoming the standard and now moreso then in previous years.
anonymous
A few questions:
(1) How are you going to keep this from becoming a gigantic sinkhole of spam?
(2) Does it interface with other Tor hidden services. Can I add jack@2qrww3nv5w3ue3ir.onion (hypothetically)?
(3) How reliable is it? Do you, or will you in the future, run a distributed service? Does prosidy support clustering like ejabberd?
posted by [Old Forum notriddle] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Good questions here! :-)

1) Jabber/XMPP is never known for the huge spam, we talked with the jabber.org manager, and we are always "on the edge" to try to prevent any Spam. If you get some, report it! :-)

2) We want to have it that way, yes. Its on the TODO

3) We will try to make it as reliable as possible, through the usage of postgresql we could cluster the usage and so also give fallback nodes in worst case, we will work that out, but so far the service is in buildup and we still have not many users on it, it must grow so that its worth to invest more resources into it! :-)

I hope this helps you a bit :-)
getty
Aehm this guest post was by me :-) sorry... didnt saw that i wasnt logged in (i dont like zoho!)
anonymous
Very happy to see this, good work!
posted by [Old Forum kyleisom] • 6 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
love this thank you for making this, now I can do a search without having to opening the browser so much.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
*bump* let new viewers in on the action
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I can't logon to the server - Is it broken?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
yegg
Not seeing any issues here -- still having trouble?
posted by yegg Staff6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes I am not getting the request to add a certificate as described above it just sits there and eventually the connection times out.
anonymous
OK Stop this was my bad! I had duckgo.com not dukgo.com
anonymous
This is great, signing up now!  One small suggestion: instead of telling people to click thru the certificate warning, how about just posting the key fingerprint?  You could, for example, just click the 'View Certificate...' button and use that screenshot in the instructions. 

For the record, the finger print I'm seeing on the View Certificate panel is:

Common name: DuckDuckGo

Fingerprint (SHA1): 2a:72:69:c0:e4:36:1c:b4:98:05:d5:72:ac:cb:b9:e4:00:65:d7:30

Activation date: Thu May 12 18:45:24 2011

Expiration date: Fri May 11 18:45:24 2012

getty
In the future we will use a certificate which will not be required to be approved. Thanks for posting the Fingerprint, but I was tending to make it as easy as possible for the user, cause we will change the certificate and remove this problem overall.
posted by getty 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I fing ddg.gg much easier to remember/communicate than dukgo.com. Maybe you should consider enabling registrations for ddg.gg. Or maybe ddg.im?
posted by [Old Forum mihai.c] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Welcome to the forums, mihai.c!

Sadly, it seems a company called Digital Desire Group has already registered ddg.im. It's a good idea though.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Don't like zoho, a ton of cookies to reject.
Just out of curiosity: why not ejabberd?
Also, does your server support file transfer?
Generally, i assume i can comunicate from a@d1.com to b@d2.org through XMPP, right? I don't need a dukgo.com account to talk with other people on other servers, correct?

Keep up the good work and please don't derail like Yahoo and Google. KISS
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Because I too love OTR messaging (and have also got my own xmpp server which is running ejabber) and the other poster never made any attempt on a posting I figured I'd try to help out.

First you need to get the OTR pidgin plugin. It's homepage is http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/
It's a normal installer, and being I have already gotten it installed I'm not going to walk you through that part.

After it's installed, in pidgin, go to your plugins preferences (ctrl+U)

and scroll down to the Off The Record Plugin

You'll be presented with a window that looks like this (with your username of course):

You'll now need to generate a new key pair by clicking the large "Generate" button. It will do it's thing for a few seconds,

You'll end up with a key displayed in your window. Like So: (mine has been mostly obfuscated for privacy reasons)

From that point on it's just a matter of the person your trying to connect to have the plugin installed and configured for their account as well.
After they do just click on either the OTR link and select "Start a Private Chat"

and it's one click to a client side, encrypted chat! Just authenticate your conversation partners key and enjoy the privacy!!!
anonymous
Just a great thing you are doing here my friend. I am looking for transitions to get rid of google mail and you just make my life easier.

Pidgin is not up-to-date on OSX so people can use Adium, and set their account as jabber account.
However I notticed the SSL port 5223 doesn't work with ddg im server. Would you enable it?

Cheers
anonymous
Hello, 5223 isn't required for SSL, since xmpp can upgrade your connection on 5222 itself if you select "use TLS if available" in your configuration (at least on pidgin). I am guess Adium also has the same option.

Cheers!

anonymous
What if an email service was offered along with this 
anonymous
The possibility of a DDG e-mail service has been discussed many times before. Nothing really planned at the moment though.

Related posts on that topic:
posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
That's a nice service. I created my dukgo.com Jabber address: marenostrum@dukgo.com
Thank you.
posted by [Old Forum marenostrum] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
This post and the comments for it might be useful for Mac OS X users.
posted by [Old Forum marenostrum] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks!

--
I love programming and playing the piano.
I'm a moderator of duck.co, and the creator of Dumb Search.
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Hey guys. I have a couple of general questions about XMPP and multiple simultaneous connections that I thought you may be able to answer before I dive into getting it all set up.

On Windows and OS X, I can use Trillian to have multiple simultaneous connections to a single chat account. More than that, all messages (both sent and received) are "pushed" immediately to all connected clients, and, when a new client is connected, all previous messages are retrieved so that all clients are fully up-to-speed and synchronized. However, since I also use Linux, I've been looking for something more cross-platform. So far, I've been running an IRC proxy service called bip on my home server, along with bitlbee, which is a multi-protocol IM client that you can connect to via an IRC client of your choice. This bip + bitlbee combination effectively does the same thing as Trillian. However, that requires me to chat through an IRC client, which is not exactly ideal for general instant messaging.

My question is this: I understand XMPP allows multiple simultaneous sign-ons to a single account from multiple clients, but does it also include the same general functionality of Trillian or bip + bitlbee? As in, does it:
  1. Push messages, both sent and received, immediately to all connected clients?
  2. Retrieve past messages when a new client is connected?
I've been looking for a better, truly cross-platform answer to Trillian and/or bip + bitlbee that involves using a good, graphical IM client like Pidgin or Kopete, and perhaps XMPP is the answer. Thanks for your help!
anonymous
I setup my account! Feel free to chat with me!

jungle-boogie@dukgo.com

Let's talk about how to make ddg the best search engine.
anonymous
  1. That's awsometing to talk about!
  2.  gogogo!!!
anonymous
Hello,

Is this possible to make audio call?
That would be awesome!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, if you have a client that supports it.
anonymous
Strange, i have been using Pidgin so far and i tought i was able to (there is an option but it isn't working), what is wrong ?
What are the alternatives ? Thank you!
anonymous
It works ! We don't know why it was'nt working but ... we don't care as now it is :p
anonymous
Well, it's me, again.
Do someone know how to prevent from echo ? I've search over the net but without success till now.
Thanks a lot.
anonymous
Hey,

I wanted to ask:

Is the invisibility status implemented on the XMPP server?
Because it doesn't work on my pidgin.

If not, is it on your todo?

Thanks.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
No worries, I got it to work after reading the Prosidy Documentation on Invisibility.
You need a plugin which sends the specific commands to the server. You can get it at http://fahhem.com/pidgin/ .
The gtalk invisibility plugin is the one you want. It will work here too.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
If you want these instructions in Spanish, drop me a line to tedel[at]dukgo.com 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
How about you let users behind proxies which block connections to all ports except 80 and 443 (some educational institutions etc) connect to a server?

It would be a great thing to do, something like connect to xmpp.dukgo.com and port 443.

Right now, while the service works great, we(aforementioned users) have to use tor or a similar service to access the xmpp server, which can be made wholly unnecessary if such a service on port 80 or 443 is implemented.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
+1
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Cant login with pidgin anymore.  To be fair I am having trouble with facebook and google chat too.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link
yegg
Not seeing any issues atm.
posted by yegg Staff5 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
FAST WAY
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I'm thinking of doing a video tutorial of creating an account on this server. Mainly because of an RP that I'm in using XMPP for its chatrooms and some of the client users are on Jabber.org, which has had quite a few connection issues. I have actually gotten a couple people to switch to Dukgo already, and given a bit of info on DDG itself too (including the XMPP bot), so I've managed to get a few more users. By making a public video, I should be able to get at least a few more~
posted by [Old Forum sixthhokage1] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Awesome! Link us to it when it's up, please! 
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Will do. I'll go over account creation, setting the profile/vCard, using the bot, adding buddies, and chatrooms. It'll be a while, because I'm actually grounded right now and so can't find a time to actually record this until I resolve my school situation.
posted by [Old Forum sixthhokage1] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
When I'm chatting with another jabber client from dukgo, are the chats on SSL?

I use OTR when possible but I wanna know if the chats can be easily seen by my ISP.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
seems like something out of the blue. whose idea was it?

p.s. have to use HTML edit as android cannot write directly to tectarea :(
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Any chance we can get a "Status Bot"?

I would like to be able to display my status on my website.  Currently I am using an unreliable presence server (presence.jabberfr.org), though I can't complain as they offer the service free.

What you do is add / subscribe to their bot and it will display your status in a txt file on their server.  I then use PHP/Curl to get that text and display a message on my site about my Jabber / Chat availability.  If I am available, a visitor can click on a link that pops up a chat window for ZoHo Chat that is connected to Pidgin on my desktop.  If I am away, it tells the visitor to check back in 10 minutes.  If I am offline, it tells the visitor I am unavailable for live chat.

---------------

BTW, if anyone is interested in my PHP code it is below.  Its probably not the best method, but it works.

1. $status = curl_init();
  2. curl_setopt($status, CURLOPT_URL, "http://presence.jabberfr.org/<UNIQUE-ID>/text-en.txt");
  3. $output = curl_exec($status);
  4. curl_close($status);
  5. //AVAILABLE
    if (strstr($output, "Available")) { echo '<span class="cmo-bold">Live Chat: Available<br /><a href="your-chat-link.php">Click Here to Chat</a>'; }
  6. //AWAY
    else if (strstr($output, "Away")) { echo 'Live Chat: Away from Desk<br />Check back in 10 minutes'; }
  7. //OFFLINE
    else { echo 'Live Chat: Offline<br />Sorry, I am unavailable'; }
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Any chance we can get a "Status Bot"?

I would like to be able to display my status on my website.  Currently I am using an unreliable presence server (presence.jabberfr.org), though I can't complain as they offer the service free.

What you do is add / subscribe to their bot and it will display your status in a txt file on their server.  I then use PHP/Curl to get that text and display a message on my site about my Jabber / Chat availability.  If I am available, a visitor can click on a link that pops up a chat window for ZoHo Chat that is connected to Pidgin on my desktop.  If I am away, it tells the visitor to check back in 10 minutes.  If I am offline, it tells the visitor I am unavailable for live chat.

---------------

BTW, if anyone is interested in my PHP code it is below.  Its probably not the best method, but it works.

1. $status = curl_init();
  2. curl_setopt($status, CURLOPT_URL, "http://presence.jabberfr.org/<UNIQUE-ID>/text-en.txt");
  3. $output = curl_exec($status);
  4. curl_close($status);
  5. //AVAILABLE
    if (strstr($output, "Available")) { echo '<span class="cmo-bold">Live Chat: Available<br /><a href="your-chat-link.php">Click Here to Chat</a>'; }
  6. //AWAY
    else if (strstr($output, "Away")) { echo 'Live Chat: Away from Desk<br />Check back in 10 minutes'; }
  7. //OFFLINE
    else { echo 'Live Chat: Offline<br />Sorry, I am unavailable'; }
getty
So far nothing in this direction is planned, but we will integrate it into your user page on dukgo.com (https://dukgo.com/<yourusername>) probably. I must checkup what is it about privacy setup in case of the presence server, it must be configurable. I also must check if prosody offers such a feature "inhouse".
posted by getty 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous

Prosody Web Presence Module:
https://code.google.com/p/prosody-modules/wiki/mod_webpresence

The only problem with this module is that all someone needs is your username to check your status.  Assigning a (long) unique ID like jabberfr.org does would make that much more difficult.

If you do make the status available on the user page (https://dukgo.com/<yourusername>), would there be an option to make that public?  Otherwise there wouldn't be a way to access it with server side scripts.

BTW, I am amazed you answered so quickly!  Thanks :)
getty
The userpage is already optional. You have a switch to make it public or not, if you didnt activated it on the community platform then it doesnt work.

And no.... we dont change the username concept cause of one sub-feature that might be relevant for like 0.001% ;)
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 3 months ago
anonymous
"The userpage is already optional. You have a switch to make it public or not, if you didnt activated it on the community platform then it doesnt work."
Thanks again - activated and public.

"So far nothing in this direction is planned, but we will integrate it into your user page on dukgo.com ... probably."
Will keep checking back every couple of weeks to see if status makes it in.

"And no.... we dont change the username concept cause of one sub-feature that might be relevant for like 0.001% ;)"
Absolutely understand about username concept - though I am sure I am far less than .001%.  Probably need a couple of extra 0's in there  :D
getty
I actually removed some zeros.... dont wanted to make you look totally ridicioulus ;)
anonymous
i want to have <mynickname>@ddg.gg ))
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
oh. i done) but not support TLS connection crypt(
anonymous
Is the service having problems this morning?

Seems to take quite a while to log in with pidgin / miranda, and I can't access the web portal (Community Platform login).
getty
Just tested everything out and checked the system load, seems all pretty fine from my point of view :) I bet its just a hickup between you and the specific amazon datacenter. The community platform is not running distributed on all data centers of amazon like duckduckgo itself does, so it could be that you are hit by specific connections problem with the one datacenter where the community platform runs.
posted by getty 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
OK, thanks for checking.  Will check it out again in a few hours.
anonymous
Can i still receive messages even when I am offline?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 9 months ago Link
getty
yes, and receive them on next login on the XMPP.
posted by getty 4 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
I've never used XMPP before, but I'd like to be able to get started with it as a private replacement for Skype.
Does your server support audio and video calls? Or would that be too much for your sever?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 8 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
XMPP is actually purely text-based. There are extensions such as Jingle which use XMPP to initiate and describe other transfers (i.e. video, voice), but those are completely peer-to-peer -- the only thing passing through the XMPP server is a bit of text between the clients.

So, yes, feel free to use video/voice. 
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
So Duck duck Go uses Zoho Chat or do you have your own server?
anonymous
Nope Duck Duck Go chat is not part of Zoho chat. It's on it's own server.
anonymous
The bot im@ddg.gg is offline for almost two days. Is the problem on my side, or did something change?

Great service, btw, bot  & server. Thanks! 

crazedpsyc
And it's back! Thanks for the notice 
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Than you for fixing the problem so fast!

On another notice. Do you plan to expand the services of DuckDuckGo, say an email-server? Would be really nice - basic email account with good anti-spam, privacy and IMAP? I would gladly migrate to ususername@ddg.gg 
crazedpsyc
Email requires far more maintenance than something like XMPP, so it's not in the short-term plan. See http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/215614-email
anonymous
The bot seems to have disappeared yesterday and has not come back yet.
crazedpsyc
You may need to restart your client, or refresh the buddy list if it has that option. It just came up a few moments ago.
anonymous
Any plans on making an online chat service so people can chat from a web browser? ^-^
crazedpsyc
Eventually yes -- haven't found any good software for this, so it looks like we'll have to make it from scratch; that's been delaying it.
anonymous
I'd suggest Jappix, I've had good experiences with it
posted by [Old Forum sixthhokage1] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
PHP... yeah, the requirement: no PHP.
anonymous
Ah. Okay.

"duck.co - The DuckDuckGo Community" <noreply@zohodiscussions.com> wrote:

>duck.co - The DuckDuckGo Community
>
>Hi Sixthhokage1,
>
>bizarre has responded to "DuckDuckGo new public XMPP/Jabber service on
>dukgo.com!"
>
>PHP... yeah, the requirement: no PHP.
>
>Now, you can also post your response to this by simply replying to this
>email! Your response will automatically appear on the forum.
>
>You are receiving this email because you are watching DuckDuckGo new
>public XMPP/Jabber service on dukgo.com! in duckduckgo.If you do not
>wish to receive this e-mail notifications in the future, unwatch the
>topic here.This e-mail is generated from Zoho service. If you think
>this is SPAM, please do report to us and we will take immediate action
>on this. Report spam to abuse@zoho.com Contact us: Zoho, 4900 Hopyard
>Rd., Suite 310 ,Pleasanton, CA 94588, USA www.zoho.com

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1775
posted by [Old Forum sixthhokage1] • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi!

I can't login to my account for about 24 hours by now. I use @ddg.gg

BTW, are there some disadvantages of using @ddg.gg over @dukgo.com ? I like the first one much more ))

Regard
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 5 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Er, you can't use @ddg.gg, that is not even the same service (nor is it a public one). Did it actually allow you to register at some point?
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Well, everything's fine already.

)) I probably shouldn't admit this, but yes, I was able to create an account, and everything works just fine, except for the aforementioned outage for about a day.

I guess my account is gonna get closed now? That would be a shame, though.

Regards and many thanks for a great service
crazedpsyc
Well thanks for pointing it out then, in any case.
The one on dukgo.com is a lot more stable and well-monitored too, so outages like this shouldn't happen.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
i used to be able to see a gmail friend online in pidgin normally. since he edited my contact details on his side (gmail; added email and phone number, edited name of contact), he's always offline in pidgin. we have both other dukgo xmpp contacts, who show up normally still. any ideas?
anonymous
Just a suggestion of mine, and do not know if you would consider adding this, but is it possible to add an alternative search engine to your jabber service? I wouldn't mind seeing something like startpage as an alternative. In my opinion, that would be useful when I don't care to open my browser or anything.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
It looks like you are using Prosody? Is DuckDuckGo storing user ID passwords in plaintext (default) or have you enabled mod_auth_internal_hashed?

Prosody has a discussion on the pros and cons of plain or hashed password storage.

Asking for PRISM Break.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 4 years and 4 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
We do use internal_hashed, as well as some modules to drop personal information from logs, etc.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Does DDG allow file transfer over XMPP?? If yes, then either Si or Jingle?
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link