[OLD] Forum Rules

[Old Forum agreenearth] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 1 month ago
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After a six-month public review period on the forum rules discussion topic , I and the rest of the moderation and administration team here at duck.co are proud to release the official duck.co forum rules. If you have any questions about the forum rules or have any proposals to change the forum rules, feel free to reply to this topic.

Welcome to duck.co, the official DuckDuckGo community! To make your stay here as fun and enjoyable as possible, please respect and follow these forum rules:

All posts should have a purpose.
If you agree with something, please don't post "I agree". Instead, registered users should click "I find this discussion useful" or "I too have this question" or "I like this idea".

Be nice.
Insults or harassment towards any member of this forum is prohibited. Please respect each other.

Keep signatures small and concise.
The maximum size for an image/text signature is 500 x 150 pixels. Please refrain from using animations in your signature.

No advertisements or spam.
Unless the link is related to DuckDuckGo and the content of your post, don't post it. (However, if your website is related to DuckDuckGo, we encourage you to share it.)

One account per user.
Please do not post under more than one name. This includes posting as both a guest and as a registered user. If you forget to log in and post as a guest accidentally, make sure to respond to the post with "that was me" or something similar.

Please stay on-topic.
All responses to a topic should be related to the original post. If you would like to discuss something else, please start a new topic.

Read before you post.
Before posting, take a minute to visit the Support Center and search the forum to see if your topic has been discussed and answered already.

Think before you delete.
Please use caution when editing or deleting older posts as changing them might disrupt the flow of conversation.

Keep it clean.

Do not post or link to any website that contains sexually explicit, sexually suggestive, or gory content. In addition, please do not discuss illegal activities such as pirating.

No affiliate or referral links.
Please do not post any links to websites in which you stand to gain financially from users buying products or signing up for products through your links.

A word on licensing .
When you post an idea, graphic, or other creation on this forum, you grant that DuckDuckGo may use that asset freely without any restrictions. Your rights to that asset are waived, and no royalties may be charged for its use. 

If you see a post that you believe is breaking these rules, registered users many report it to the moderators by clicking the "Inappropriate" button under each post.

Any topics/posts found breaking these rules will be locked or deleted by the moderators.

Moderators: Sean Anderson, BlaXpirit, MrMagical, AGreenEarth, bizarre, Mithrandir, opc411, voop556, zacbrannigan, bizarre, ScreapDK, folklorin and x.15a2.

Administrators: yegg13 (who is also the founder and president of DuckDuckGo) and zacbrannigan (early employee at DuckDuckGo).

DuckDuckGo team members who are active on this forum:
cainetighe, AGreenEarth, zacbrannigan, bizarre, yegg13, gettygermany, and you?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I just added a road with a duck.

Q: Why did the duck cross the road?
A: To get to the other side!

(I shouldn't have said anything)

--
I love programming and playing the piano.
I'm a moderator of duck.co, and the creator of Dumb Search.
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Nice! It really livens up the page.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Yah.
I also took of the caps on "duck.co", because it's not a name, just a domain.

--
anonymous
Thanks again.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous

Think before you delete.
Please use caution when editing or deleting older posts as changing them might disrupt the flow of conversation.

Well my friend also has a forum on Zoho where I am  member

he says he's on the Pro plan where they have a trash forum or section where posts get sent once deleted. So any posts that are removed can be recovered or un delete.
i don't know if that's the case here on this forum
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Yeah, it is the case.
I'm a moderator, so I know this stuff ;)

--
Founder of http://www.dumbsearch.com/
Moderator of DuckDuckGo
posted by [Old Forum sean-anderson] • 5 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I just added the "Think before you delete." section.

--
anonymous
Added opc411, Duck.co's latest moderator, to the forum rules moderator list. (Congratulations, opc411!)

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 7 years and 15 days ago Link
anonymous
I've added a new section, "A word on licensing", to the fourm rules at Yegg's request. I also did some editing, mainly to correct broken links.

posted by [Old Forum agreenearth] • 6 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
Thanks to ScreapDK and folklorin --our newest Duck.co moderators!

They came, they saw, they moderated.
                              -some guy

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager
posted by zac Staff5 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the mentions!
It is really an honor to be able to help you, both administrators, moderators, as well as guests and regular users!

DuckDuckGo is a project that I really care about, and that I would love to see grow in popularity, and become a more mainstream search engine. : )

I would like to say thanks to the whole DuckDuckGo team for being so awesome.
It's nice to know that you can easily say your opinion, and come with suggestion/feedback, and knowing there's actually someone who takes it seriously.

The Terms Of Service-link seems to be broken? Or is that just me?

Thanks for being awesome!

Best regards,
Casper Qvortrup

- DuckDuckGo Forum Moderator.
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 5 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi, there,

Thanks one more time! Hope to help DDG from different points.

Ops! The link is really broken!

See you,
Kirill
posted by [Old Forum folklorin] • 5 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I was wondering if that Terms of Service-link is still relevant? It has been broken for some time now.

Actually I wasn't aware of the Terms of Service until I found this thread. And that was actually almost a year after, I joined this forum.

Best regards,
Casper Qvortrup

- DuckDuckGo Forum Moderator.
posted by [Old Forum screapdk] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
Thanks for pointing that out! The page is no longer active and I've removed the link. 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
The more I try to use the DDG forums and (post some good ideas), the more just plain incompetence I encounter. After trying over a year  ago to sign up for your "forums", I gave up, and I see it's not one bit better since then. I still can't log into mky Zoho created DDG account.

Ironically, even though I can't login, I can still reply to threads. I can't create any, only butt-in on already existing threads.

Why, Zac, where it says here "Forum(s)", it only lists one, and no sub-forums? WHY, after so long, is there nothing there to really speak of?

Why, Zac, did it take over 6 months to come up with a simple set of rules? And why, Zac, is the only way to contact you throuugh twitter? What are you hiding from?

Just so you have no excuse for not answering, I'll leave you my e-mail address: schooley@mail2world.com

Oh, and why, Zac, does Zoho need to look on MY computer, simply to sign up for this forum? And, when I decline, it just re-dumps me on the blank sign in page. What's up with that? Does ANY of this sound right to you?

I await your reply.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
Sorry for the frustration but this is the way it is. Our forum is currently run through Zoho and we haven't gotten any other complaints from people NOT able to sign in. It would be quite obvious if there was a global issue, because everyone would be posting from guest accounts. When our house-built forum is up and running, we plan to move over. 

It says, "Forums" because that's how it works. Zoho allows us to create multiple forums/sub-forums and we have just 1 because it seems to be working out and there's no need for others. There is a moderator forum but you can't see it. 

It took 6 months because it was important. We let the community hash out the rules, as opposed to just dropping a rule bomb on everyone willy nilly. The first sentence above says,"After a six-month public review period on theforum rules discussion topic." Not sure what you mean by the twitter comment, we have a bunch of ways to get in touch, including this forum that you posted to: https://duckduckgo.com/feedback

I don't recommend leaving your email publicly available on this site or any. 

This sounds like a local issue to you and I would confer with Zoho.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
So, when challenged on any point, DDG locks the thread? Wrong.

Let's pick up where we left off, shall we. Censorship of pertinent issues is not right:

.......IF Zoho is "not affiliated with DDG in any way", WHY did you make the stetement of "Zoho's discussions (Forum software) are not an officially supported product, and they do not work too well with non-standard browsers or non-standard settings. Make sure you have javascript and cookies enabled, etc.", as if you were DEFENDING AND REPRESENTING Zoho software???

You, sir, are a liar and a fraud! DDG is now also a liar and a fraud also! IF you have no affiliation with Zoho, WHY would you make such a statement defending IT'S software? It's now time for more powerful people in more powerful places to SEE what a fraud DuckDuckGo AND Zoho really are.
anonymous
Dude, I just read all of your messages, you're paranoid and pathetic. Imho saying DDG is liar/fraud is a very serious accusation, totally unsourced and totally unrespectful for people working on it. And it all started only because you can't login in Zoho... wow. Your ridicolousness is gaving me cancer. Please go away.

Sincerely,
a normal person.
x.15a2
Hey Zac. Please don't let "Guest who is too incompetent to login" get to you. The rest of us appreciate and value what you, the other moderators and yegg13 are doing here.

I wonder who the "more powerful people in more powerful places", really are. Frankly, I don't care, but it is a hilarious nonsensical comment.

Anyway, keep up the good work and thanks for your very gracious reply to "Guest who is too incompetent to login". You certainly showed a higher level of grace and maturity than you were hit with.

x-15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader5 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
Thanks, honorable guest and x.15a2 :) If this turns into giant hate thread, we're going to have to lock this one as well.
Hateful guest, please respect your fellow man. No need to post here. Start a support thread, explain your problem clearly, and maybe someone will give you a response. Jumping into productive conversations just to derail them is disrespectful and flat out annoying.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
Hmm.
Never read this thread for a while, but yeah.
I smell a lot of infertile behavior, haha.
Ignore the trolls :)

--
Moderator of DuckDuckGo
anonymous
             Guest said:

Guest:Think before you delete.

Well my friend also has a forum on Zoho where I am  member

he says he's on the Pro plan where they have a trash forum or section where posts get sent once deleted. So any posts that are removed can be recovered or un delete.
i don't know if that's the case here on this forum

Is this forum on a professional Price plan then?
zac
It's irrelevant because deleting the comment still removes it from user-view, which could disrupt the flow of conversation. By the time it's added back in by the moderators, some people have missed out on the comment.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
posted by zac Staff5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Right.

--
Moderator of DuckDuckGo
anonymous
Could be- as this forum is hosted on a custom domain which you only get on a pro price plan.
anonymous

It's irrelevant because deleting the comment still removes it from user-view, which could disrupt the flow of conversation. By the time it's added back in by the moderators, some people have missed out on the comment. 

-Zac

So you must be on either the custom or Pro plan for this forum as you can only recover deleted posts from trash in those 2 price plans not in the free plans.
zac
Hahahah touché. But, if I went back and deleted my comment...

Edit: :)

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous

-Zac

DuckDuckGo

just change the settings so that members cannot edit or delete their own posts.

then only moderators will be able to. 
That's what they do on other forums.
zac
Is that what the community at-large wants? The formatting on Zoho is a bit strange and, a lot of times, you post something that you realize didn't copy well (like links) onto the forum. Not exactly WYSIWYG.

Would still be curious to hear from others about their preference.

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
crazedpsyc
I almost always break the formatting or the English in my posts and edit them.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous

-Zac

DuckDuckGo

just change the settings so that members cannot edit or delete their own posts.

then only moderators will be able to. 
That's what they do on other forums.
 Yes most forums I go on don't allow members to edit or delete their posts. There's no post edit button on most forums as it's set so only moderators can edit posts. 

When I asked why on one forum,they said they don't like members to edit or delete their posts as it disrupts the forum. Makes sense I suppose as some people spam or abuse the post edit/delete feature.
zac
Duly noted, thanks! 

-Zac

DuckDuckGo
anonymous
So you should disable post edit and delete options for members here.