Please improve triggering

duckduckian duckduckian
Created: 1 year and 3 months ago
I would like to make a suggestion to improve the triggering of IAs in duckduckgo
(Easier said than done) well here are how triggers should work.
For example there is an IA that lets you see if the pokemon go servers are up or down
Here is what I believe should exist for triggering the IA:

value 1 = pokemon, pokémon
value 2 = go
value 3 = servers, server, status
trigger order: (value 1, value 2, value 3)

This way the user could type in pokemon go status or pokémon go servers and get the right results

But instead the developer needs to add a bunch of words and phrases to get the triggers right

pokemon go status, pokémon go status, pokémon go server, pokemon go server, pokémon go servers, pokemon go servers

My way would be more accurate and less painful for developers. If the staff is interested in my idea please comment

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

tagawa
Hi duckduckian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of removing the need to type lots of similar-but-slightly different phrases, however sometimes we should accept different ordering of words. In your example, "pokemon go status" would trigger but "status pokemon go" would not, but it should. We could accept any order, but then "go status pokemon" would trigger when ideally it should not.

So as well as specifying accepted keywords, the developer would probably have to specify accepted word orders as well. That adds complexity which makes me wonder if there's an advantage overall. Although just listing all potential phrases is tedious, the benefit is that it's simple for new developers to understand.

Anyway, I'm not dismissing the suggestion - just considering how we'd handle various use cases.
posted by tagawa Staff1 year and 3 months ago Link